This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse scroll different in different windows

I can see this forum is pretty dead, so I post here, that happens to be the right place because I am a transitioner!

I have a standard mouse scrolling set at 3 lines.
    Now, this setting works perfectly most of the times but:
    • in the bottom left menu, if I dig in some menu with many items, it’s way too slow, at one line per click of the scroll wheel. The most annoying is Libreoffice Writer, I have to use it daily and it’s buried under 45 clicks of the scrolling wheel; I know I can add it to the favourites (already done), but that’s not the point.
    • if I want to select a new profile picture, or a new image for the desktop background, it’s the exact opposite: überfast, can’t even count but it jumps like 20 items with the biggest icons. I have to drag the scroll bar to remain calm.

How to correct this annoying glitch, please?

I can guess at these I think
    Originally posted by elstellino View Post
    • in the bottom left menu, if I dig in some menu with many items, it’s way too slow, at one line per click of the scroll wheel. The most annoying is Libreoffice Writer, I have to use it daily and it’s buried under 45 clicks of the scrolling wheel; I know I can add it to the favourites (already done), but that’s not the point.
    • if I want to select a new profile picture, or a new image for the desktop background, it’s the exact opposite: überfast, can’t even count but it jumps like 20 items with the biggest icons. I have to drag the scroll bar to remain calm.
    By "bottom left menu" I assume you mean the Application Launcher - our version of a start menu, FYI not everyone leaves it in the bottom left position and not everyone uses it the same way. There are "Alternatives" selectable by unlocking widgets and right-clicking on the Menu icon. You will then see the options are Application Dashboard, Application Launcher, and Application Menu. I have really come to like the Dashboard option. I only point this out because you might find another choice more to your liking - since you are a Transitioner, and all . AFAIK, what you're seeing is the a menu setting that controls the mouse actions - I would guess the developer didn't think jumping 3 or more items at a time in a menu designed to choose a program to launch was a good idea. 45 items in a single menu seems excessive to me. You might consider re-arranging or adding a category or two and spreading those out. I agree the standard menu is rather time consuming to drill down through - part of the reason I went to the Dashboard instead. Frankly, the Favorites menu is the solution to this issue, that's why that feature exists. You could dig into the code and change the behavior yourself (maybe) or contact the developer(s) and ask for a feature change.

You don't really say how you're trying to select a new wallpaper or profile picture, but I also have my mouse set at 3 lines (the default I believe) and I'm not seeing what you are. Using dolphin, a single scroll wheel click results in exactly 3 lines of image previews to move up or down the screen regardless of size (zoom setting). The desktop wallpaper selector I can't check because I don't have enough images in it to need to scroll. Changing the width of the Desktop Wallpaper selection window resizes the previews and retains the three-column layout.

Maybe posing more exact detail would help someone find an answer.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jun 02, 2017, 01:39 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTY, I added the Application Launcher (the default menu) and opened the Multimedia category, which has 24 items here (my largest I think). 1 full and 1 half-full roll of the scroll wheel brought up the bottom of the list - yes it was one "click" per item, but only 2 finger movements. There were 9-10 items displayed at a time. If I had 45 in there, I would expect 4 finger movements to bottom out the list. Not really that big of an issue IMO. The bigger question is why or how did you get 45 items in a single category.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hello, thanks for the long answers.
        Yes, Application Launcher, sorry, me thick, it was just necessary to hover on it!
        It lives there in my computer as I installed the system 2 days ago!
        With its scrolling, I don’t mean of items: say each item is probably 30 pixel high, one click (and I mean one audible click that the wheel does while spinning) moves 2 or 3 pixels, waaaay to slow. 7 long scrolls for 18 items in total (and not 45), I hope this picture gets the idea better.
        For example, try Application Panel, and select at the top of the window Widgets. In my computer they don’t move as fast for being so big. Literally 3 pixel or so for every audible click. And that’s what I am talking about. The Launcher in any form seems to have a scrolling speed on its own.
        But liking much more the Application Menu (admittedly, the Launcher wasn’t for me as fast to use) and trying now the Application Panel (because I don’t like to fossilize myself on things, it’s the same as Mint Cinnamon and I left it because it feels too much Windows XP) I’d say problem "sort of solved"
        However, if there was a way to adjust this, I would like to attempt.
        Update: also in Application Panel, under certain circumstances it is just plain slow, and I would like to fix that.

Wallpaper or profile picture:
        either, to select a new wallpaper so far I discovered right click on the desktop, Configure desktop and there in that window Open to select a picture in my Pictures folder (in mine I can find there gazillions of them). Whatever that program is, I guess it’s Dolphin, but it scrolls horizontally. Fast.
        It’s the same programs that opens for selecting a profile picture, that’s why the imprecision.

Thanks for all!
        Last edited by elstellino; Jun 04, 2017, 08:51 AM. Reason: update.

Comment

Working...
        X