This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm stumped

The problem is that the computer will be going along happy as a clam and then it will seemingly "freeze," except that it really isn't freezing, the hard drive is just churning away endlessly. My first response was to play with the swappiness setting, changing it from everything from 1 to 100 (literally!). So far, no result. System Monitor will tell me that several of my 8 CPU cores are at 100% and that I'm at the limit of my memory capacity. It sounds like I need to add more RAM, but what is to prevent Kubuntu from taking the additional RAM and still producing the same result? Is this a configuration issue? Will more RAM solve the issue or no? Any other ideas out there? Like Ross Perot once said, "I'm all ears." ;-) Thanks.

I doubt it's swapping. More likely a runaway or misbehaving process. Try opening up a terminal, keep it visible on your desktop, and run "iotop" in it. When things start to slow down - look at whats using the drives.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've tried something similar. Ksysguard (system monitor) will tell you the same thing under "process table." My problem is that nothing is obvious (to me, at least). I had originally suspected a virus, but I run a virus scan (Comodo) every morning in the wee hours and it almost never finds anything. What would it look like if it is a runaway application and how would I correct it? What else could it be?

Comment

now what?

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I doubt it's swapping. More likely a runaway or misbehaving process. Try opening up a terminal, keep it visible on your desktop, and run "iotop" in it. When things start to slow down - look at whats using the drives.
        I installed iotop and it looks like it's thundebird, firefox and baloo. Assuming that I'm reading that right, what do I do to correct it?

Comment

My guess there is Baloo - it's indexing your files. Tbird and browsers always are busy. Try killing baloo next time and see if that's the culprit.

If so, try either turning off file search (indexing or "Desktop Search" in System Settings) or just let it finish. Could be a bug. You might want to do a little searching.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            My guess there is Baloo - it's indexing your files. Tbird and browsers always are busy. Try killing baloo next time and see if that's the culprit.

If so, try either turning off file search (indexing or "Desktop Search" in System Settings) or just let it finish. Could be a bug. You might want to do a little searching.
            Okay. I'm trying that. One question, though. Under Search in system settings, there is "plasma search" with about 2000 "search plugins" options. I exaggerate, of course, but not by much. What are these for?

Comment

It's been a while since I tried getting rid of Baloo and turning off indexing. Not a lot better. I've tried rejiggering the plugins in Firefox, but that doesn't seem to have much effect either. If it's not indexing, not swapping, not a firefox plugin, then what the *&%@ am I up against? There is an answer out there somewhere.

Comment

I may have found the solution. It looks right now like the culprit here was Flash. I uninstalled it and am waiting for the hard drive to start churning. About an hour and a half later, it hasn't. If this remains the case, then we can mark this "problem solved." Of course, this means that I won't be able to watch my favorite TV programs on my computer, but that's another story. Now that I think about it, I had the exact same problem with my Windoze machine before I switched to linux. Makes sense because it had Flash installed as well and I have seen reports about Flash causing problems. Could someone come up with a flash alternative, maybe? Adobe has abandoned linux as far as any further revisions to Flash go, so there's an opening here for sure. Film at eleven.
                Last edited by markslaw; Apr 30, 2015, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Have a read of this thread, right till the last page.

It will give you an alternative, the flash version that Google makes for Chrome.
                  But it has it's own issues...

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ht=pepperflash

Comment

Working...
                  X