X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible Kubuntu on PlayBook?

Hello,

These days I've seen great deals on Blackberry PlayBook, which seems a good machine with a bad OS, so tablets are in liquidations. Android cannot be installed on these tablets. But I've seen this:
    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ml#tk.mod_stln
    As I already use Kubuntu on my laptop, and love it, I would be more than happy to have it on my future tablet too. But I cannot afford anything else than this liquidation PlayBook.

My question is: Did somebody installed Kubuntu on a PlayBook, or heard if this is possible? I'm afraid PlayBook's BIOS does not have other boot option than its own OS? Would it be possible to install Kubuntu on this tablet like on a USB key, via Startup Disk Creator? Any hardware incompatibilities (see specs below)?

Main specs of the Playbook are:
    display: 7'' 1024x600 capacitive
    CPU: 1GHz dual core TI OMAP 4430
    RAM: 1GB DDR2
    HD: 16, 32, 64GB

Thanks,
    Last edited by aria; Sep 04, 2012, 10:07 PM.
    aria

Did you do any searching of the web?

http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/20...h-screenshots/

Please Read Me

Comment

The Playbook uses a secure bootloader, so you'd first have to find a way to get past that, and then hope that Linux drivers exist for all its various hardware components.

I suspect it would be extremely difficult to get Kubuntu onto a Playbook, if not impossible.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Oshunluvr,

I did my research, I even posted a link in my first post. But what I'm interested in, is not to copy files from and to the PlayBook from my Ubuntu (Kubuntu) computer.

What I am interested in, is if I can install Kubuntu for tablets (see the link in my first post) on a BlackBerry tablet. And if yes, how to do it. There's no access to PlayBook's BIOS as I understood, there's no other boot option than the crap OS it cams with, so I thought it could be installed maybe with the Startup Disk Creator app. from a downloaded ISO on my Kubuntu computer. But neither the Kubuntu for tablets isn't the same with Kubuntu for computers, nor the PlayBook isn't an USB key. Thus my questions.
        aria

Comment

Hello again HalationEffect,

There's not the same Kubuntu as for computers. It is an Android kernel with KDE, developed by Kubuntu team, thus the name. As for the hardware support, it's not a warranty that the Android kernel has all necessary drivers, but with tablets there are not to many variations in components (barley 3 CPUs at my knowledge, and for the rest they are almost the same: screen, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.). In the link I posted in my first post there's at the bottom, a non-exhaustive list of tablets compatible with Kubuntu (Preinstalled Tablets on the Way), some of them having maybe the same CPU with the PlayBook (?).

If I had more money, would have go for this one immediately (but...):
          http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ost_ready.html

Thanks,

PS: I'm not pressed. I didn't bought the tablet yet. But I would have liked if I could have taken advantage of the liquidation price on PlayBooks (32GB at 150$, and even 140$ if bought where it sells higher, due to price policies). But if it doesn't work with Kubuntu for tablets, there's no problem. Will wait for the next great deal. No rush. Although, this deal might interest many of you too.
          Last edited by aria; Sep 04, 2012, 10:22 PM. Reason: added info.
          aria

Comment

OK, an Android kernel would make it quite a bit more likely to have driver support... but the big problem is still the locked bootloader. It requires a digitally signed OS (and only RIM has the signing key), or it won't boot.
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

OK, than it's useless. Hate those restricted things, love open and free ones. Guess this is why I am here, why I only use Linux.
              Thanks HalationEffect,
              aria

Comment

Working...
              X