This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Ubuntu to Kubuntu

I started using Linux in February, and I've primarily used Ubuntu, occasionally using Kubuntu and Lubuntu. I recently decided to try Kubuntu again, and I really like it. I have a netbook, so I use the netbook version (which I like more than the desktop version). I've found I really like KDE. Can you give me some tips on transitioning from Ubuntu to Kubuntu, and from Unity to KDE?

Re: From Ubuntu to Kubuntu

Did/are you trying/using Kubuntu from a LiveCD/USB environment, or did you actually install the kubuntu-desktop package? Are you wanting to replace Ubuntu with Kubuntu, dual-boot, or just have the option of selecting which Desktop to use at login?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I installed Kubuntu about a week ago. I want to replace Ubuntu with it because it seems a lot more customizable, simple, and aesthetically pleasing.

Comment

In your current Ubuntu installation, do you have a separate partition for your user /home directory? If you do, then the straight forward way is to just install Kubuntu from a LiveCD/USB, formatting the root directory/partition and NOT formatting the /home partition. But if you have the means, backup your users /home directory *just in case*.

But if you don't have a lot invested in Ubuntu (there isn't anything you want to save), then just do a fresh installation of Kubuntu and format the partitions during the installation.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. I didn't have /home in a separate partition, and I haven't installed an operating system in months, so this helped.

Comment

Along with this - as Snowhog referenced it is highly advisable to create a separate /home for this and all future installs.

Your issue here illustrates one main reason for it.

If you do have some stuff in your Ubuntu install /home, you could create a separate partition for /home now, copy all over, then install Kubuntu.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'll have to +1 the separate /home partition. I've had that set up for a very long time and to date has been the most important thing I've ever done as it really makes fresh install upgrades seamless. Do, however, maintain backups of your data as nothing is a given.

Comment

Yes, I agree with you, Ocris. I also love Kubuntu, and will choose Kubuntu over Ubuntu anytime.
                Debt management<br />Professional seo services<br />Cash for gold

Comment

Working...
                X