This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adhoc issue

I come here because when googleing for answers on kubuntu most often answers relating to ubuntu comes up ... with a solution when using gnome.
    I got two laptops , one running win 7 x64 , the other is xp x32. The win 7 initiates the adhoc and also shares its internet connection with the xp-box.
    Now when I installed ubuntu with wubi it "magically" got my mobile broadband usb modem working. no hassle , no install ... just go.
    I trying to setting up the same thing now , just that win 7 is now kubuntu. As I´ve seen it work win 7 to xp it should not be any problems hardware wise.
    I go into network connection and setup an adhoc . Just to be "foolproof" I have disabled WEP WPAs and whatnot . Still when trying to get it going it comes up with a security thing that I go okay with. By now the adhoc on kubuntu should be "waiting for users" but it wont initiate. When I click network by the clock in the corner it says once more that its getting an IP.... It starts over and that security pops comes again (even if its set to nothing). And so it goes in and endless loop.
    Now being a transtitioner I dont exept everything to work of course, million programs , tweaks etc.
    But to have THIS thing going is fundamental to my setup. Shamelessly I crawled back to my windows where my networking and internetsharing is going.
    I also wnt into freenode #kubuntu and #ubuntu , but they got their hands full but found someone willing to try to help out but we did´nt resolve (thx anyway).
    Some of them where telling me to buy a router but i cant see why i should buy additional gizmos when I KNOW i can work. Is this a (k)ubuntu limitation or am I missing something obvious?

Re: Adhoc issue

3 days and no answers...
    I don´t imagine my setup is especially uncommon. That tells me their IS no solution to this or its not very high priority.
    If its doable perhaps some experienced linux users can make a walkthrough that we transitioners can do it for ourselves. .

Else I just better 3 more years til all that is sorted

Comment

Most users here use laptops or older desktops. Those of us (like me) who have an extensive network don't use windows except when required. In my assessment, your setup is very uncommon for most users on this board.

To be frank, your initial post isn't very readable. You might try removing all the stuff that doesn't actually apply to your issue and better explain what it is exactly you're trying to do and specifically what you need help with.

Please Read Me

Comment

Fair enough.

first I want to get my kubuntu to start a adhoc network.

second i want to share kubuntu internet connection on that adhoc network.

I go into the network manager and try to setup an adhoc but im having problems with getting it to start.

Comment

Working...
        X