X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Suggestions for next release of Kubuntu

@Wizard

The next version of muon (1.2) will have that right-click capability once it is released. I'm using the beta from the Qapt-experimental PPA and haven't had any probelms so far.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Excellent. Thanks
      we see things not as they are, but as we are.
      -- anais nin

Comment

I don't have a "suggestion" per-se because it all just works for me, but then I tend to run pretty straightforward hardware and my needs are simple......just a little gruel and tea with sugar please!

So, I'll ask a "pregnant" question.

Is there any discussion "behind closed doors" as to how long the base "stuff" of either Ubu(which is now going full bore Unity) or KDE upstream will allow the distro to have "base stuff" so as to be able to keep the present plasma interface?

The reason I ask is that there was a post somewhere on the net a few days ago that mentioned that even KDE might opt for some kind of "enhanced" interface a la' Unity or whatever.

Just a question, and if there has not been any such discussion that is fine no problemo if no answero!

woodsmoko
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Huh. this is quite interesting, particularly the posts by roq. I might be forced now to take the Alpha out for a spin, just to see what it looks like.

Personal opinions on what I'd do if they include certain stuff in Kubuntu:

If they put chrome/chromium, I'm ditching it immediately for Rekonq/Konqueror. I don't care what people have to say, I've never seen a browser that works better for me then Rekonq/Konqueror.

I'll give Muon a whirl, and if it suits me, I'll keep it. If not, out Muon, and welcome back KPK.[though if Kubuntu ditches it, KPK support very well might die out completely, and then I'll just integrate myself back to Muon]

Don't care too much about LibreOffice, I'll probably ditch it for KOffice anyways haha.

Just thoughts on what I'd do.

Originally posted by woodsmoke
          The reason I ask is that there was a post somewhere on the net a few days ago that mentioned that even KDE might opt for some kind of "enhanced" interface a la' Unity or whatever.
          This part is..interesting. I haven't taken Unity for a spin yet, though I've been planning to, though if what I hear is true, Unity is...rigid. That goes counter-grain with KDE and their flexibility with anything/everything. If some sort of Unity interface is included, sort of like plasma-unity or something, they'd better hack it up so that we can do whatever we want with it :P
          Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Is there any discussion "behind closed doors" as to how long the base "stuff" of either Ubu(which is now going full bore Unity) or KDE upstream will allow the distro to have "base stuff" so as to be able to keep the present plasma interface?

Just a question, and if there has not been any such discussion that is fine no problemo if no answero!
            Well - - there are lot of discussion and you could follow those discussions if you want to.

> KDE Mailing Lists
            > KDE-Related IRC-Channels

> Ubuntu mailing lists
            > Ubuntu IRC logs

> Kubuntu meetings
            Next one is > Kubuntu Developer Discussion / Kubuntu Meeting:
            Hey everyone,

Sorry for how late this is getting out.

Our next meeting will be on Wednesday, June 8th at 2000 (8pm) UTC in
            #ubuntu-meeting

Cheers!

David Wonderly

Examples:

> kde-core-devel:
            Let's merge Qt and the KDE development platform. Let's put all KDE libraries,
            support libraries, platform modules into Qt, remove the redundancies in Qt,
            and polish it into one nice consistent set of APIs, providing both, the
            wonderful KDE integration, consistency and convenience, as well as the
            simplicity and portability of the Qt platform.

I know what you think ("madness", "no", "KDE 5", "impossible", "governance",
            "binary compatibility", "Nokia", "impossible", ...), but if you put that aside
            for a while and think big, wouldn't that be a wonderful answer to all the
            struggles we have with kdelibs?...

From the > Aaron J. Seigo's blog
            libplasma2
            I've spent a fair amount of time this month working on shaping the libplasma code into what will eventually become libplasma2. The goals are straight-forward:

* Drop cruft

* Smooth out API issues that have cropped up

* Separate QGraphicsView code out into a separate library, clearing the way for QML-only Plasma interfaces to not have to carry that weight

* Make parts of libplasma more QML-friendly than they are currently
            Qt5 .. KDE5?
            As most of those who read my blog have already heard, Qt5 is on its way. The target is 2012 and the focus is QtQuick where there is a high degree of separation between display and data and things are rendered using a hardware accelerated (read: OpenGL) scene graph. This is very much in line with where we are heading with Plasma as well. Exciting times!

What does this mean for KDE? Will there be a KDE5 in 2012 as well?...
            relax
            After my last blog about a possible future KDE Platform 5 due to Qt 5, it was interesting to watch the number of "Oh no, not another big release that will break the interface we know!" type comments. Let me put all of that to rest:

The Plasma team has no intention, desire or need to start "from scratch" nor engage in a massive redesign of the existing netbook or desktop shells...
            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

What is the reason for no Alternate CD?

Comment

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubu...u-no-alternate
                http://summit.ubuntu.com/uds-o/meeti...-no-alternate/

this suggests that there still would be a alt -DVD, however, and alt cd's of only the daily builds for now

it boils down to the lack of anyone other than 1 or 2 devs testing it, mostly.

Actually the iso testing is lacking in general, no one seems to want to test isos much. I usually test a couple of them myself during each cycle, but often no one has tried out the alt cd image at all

Comment

ISO testing tends to be a little bit boring, and most devs prefer to test things with a rolling install through the alphas. The ISO tests are needed, though. The good news is that anybody can test them.

The testing website is here: http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/build/kubuntu/all A few days or so before alpha 2 release, it'll be updated for alpha 2, and any help running the test cases is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                    What is the reason for no Alternate CD?
                    I can give you one VERY good reason to keep it -- the *buntu Live CDs have NEVER been able to install on a SATA drive on my Intel D975XBX motherboard. The running Linux will see it with fdisk, but the ubiquity installer can't find it at all, with or without a partition table and partitions prepared, and regardless of the SATA mode setting. So, if I couldn't get an Alternate CD / USB stick version to install with, I'd have to get crazy and drag the hard drive to some other computer, or something, to ever install the OS.

Comment

And again I say why are they stopping that? I've had to use the Alt CDs myself from time to time.

Comment

Puhh -- I dropped the phrase "to keep it" when I wrote that reply. Fixed. That Intel motherboard is still an excellent platform, even if the design is about 5 years old now. And I've never encountered the same problem with other Linux distros that I have tried on it -- it is only the ubiquity installer on the *buntu Live CD that can't find a SATA drive on it.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                          Puhh -- I dropped the phrase "to keep it" when I wrote that reply. Fixed. That Intel motherboard is still an excellent platform, even if the design is about 5 years old now. And I've never encountered the same problem with other Linux distros that I have tried on it -- it is only the ubiquity installer on the *buntu Live CD that can't find a SATA drive on it.
                          <-- not a big fan of ubiquity anyway - I've had my share of problems with it, some as late as yesterday when I reinstalled Natty on my netbook. ubiquity crashed during the install and I had to start over.

Plus, they did away with the screen *after* the manual partitioner that'd let you double-check what was gonna happen before you hit the 'install' button. I kinda liked that extra sanity check as it's saved my bacon at least once.
                          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                          -- anais nin

Comment

Alternatives to the live CD installation:

> Installation and maybe the > MinimalCD:
                            The Minimal CD will download packages from online archives at installation time instead of providing them on the install CD itself...The Minimal CD uses a text-based installer like the Alternate CD, making the CD image as compact as possible...To install, boot your computer from the the Minimal CD and type "cli" (command line install) at the prompt. You can then follow the instructions from the text-based installer. After the base system is installed, log in, and type "sudo tasksel" to select the system to install.
                            The > Tasksel is:
                            Tasksel is a Debian/Ubuntu tool that installs multiple related packages as a co-ordinated "task" onto your system...
                            [img width=400 height=244]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/2949/taskselkubuntu.png[/img]
                            A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                            Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

A clock which is:

a) easy to set
                              b) when set stays set.....SIT! FIDO!! SIT!!!

That gif is from fidonet btw

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
                                I've never has a problem with KPackagekit, and hope it never goes away. It is really easy for me, when I had to reinstall Kubuntu, I didn't bother to reinstall muon- I never used it anyway...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS WRONG WITH KPACKAGEKIT
                                For me - a few things:
                                1] I really like the idea of a "software center", especially for new users this is a must.
                                2] Splitting Muon in to two packages (one for the Software Center and one for the package manager) is brilliant
                                3] The ability to filter apps by software sources is necessary IMHO. I do not recall KPackagekit having this ability
                                4] The configuration setting in Muon that allows you to automatically install "recommended" packages along with an individual package
                                5] Easier version locking for an individual app
                                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                                K*Digest Blog
                                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X