This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help the Newbie get a Cyber Cafe running on Kubuntu

Hi, I am trying to set up my friends cyber cafe to run on a Linux distro and am looking at using Kubuntu for various reasons (some of the research I have done so far says that K desktop may be better for cyber cafe software).

See my first post where I explain one reason why we are deleting all windows software and attempting a move to linux for the Cafe. I have spent hours researching the various software and tried a few (below) but am still having a few problems so far. If any of you want to help out it would be much appreciated, plus it looks as though a decent thread on this subject may be helpful to others because most the threads and posts I have come across so far tend to be "well do a search here, and good luck".

I'm hoping to maybe compile a decent article (after I have things running) on how to set up linux to use in a Cyber Cafe.

What is cyber cafe software (for those who may not know)? It is basically a network setup where you have a server-side software for the main computer that times how long people use the client PCs for and can reboot them when a customer is finished. Not too difficult if you know a lot about linux (which I don't) I would imagine.

After searching for ages the most promising linux cyber cafe software so far seem to be:

Zencafe, where the guy bases his personalised distro on ZenWalk. (still a few problems with screen resolution with that one so for for me).

More promising perhaps, and usable with Kubuntu, is Mkahawa (supposedly an update of "Cafe Con Leche"). As you can see there is software you install on the server pc and separate software you install on the client pcs that customers will use.

I am having problems with Mkahawa installing properly... altho others seem to get it to work fine.

If anyone wants to have a go at installing Mkahawa Client on their PC and manages to do so successfully, please post and tell me exactly how you managed it. I installed it all on this pc using These instructions and when I get to the part of installing the client with:

~$ sudo dpkg -i mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb (latest client)

It says:

m@6:~$ sudo dpkg -i mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb
    [sudo] password for m:
    dpkg: error processing mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb
    m@6:~$

I realize this is probably something really simple lol but any help appreciated. (I have the software in my dowload folder, should I move it somewhere else?).

I also then tried installing it by double clicking and using Ubuntu Software Center (am still on Ubuntu atm as my disk for Kubuntu didn burn for some reason... plus dont want to lose bookmarks etc, maybe on Kubuntu next time I post ) and it says it is already installed... but when I go to look for the software to start it in Applications/etc, it isn there!

If you have any other suggestions of free software for a Cyber Cafe on Linux I am all ears thanks! 8)

Re: Help the Newbie get a Cyber Cafe running on Kubuntu

Did you read the FAQ "How do I install mkahawa?"
    On the clients, install: (libcclc is not needed as from 0.0.4-2 upwards)

Ensure that you have libfox1.6 installed. You can get ubuntu version from here
    Install libcclc_0.8.0.xxxx.deb (Latest )
    :~$ sudo dpkg -i libcclc_0.8.0-1_i386.deb
    Install mkahawa-client-0.0.x.xxx.deb (Latest )
    :~$ sudo dpkg -i mkahawa-client_0.0.3-1_i386.deb
    Do you have libfox1.6 installed?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Mark228
      ~$ sudo dpkg -i mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb (latest client)

It says:

m@6:~$ sudo dpkg -i mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb
      [sudo] password for m:
      dpkg: error processing mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb (--install):
      cannot access archive: No such file or directory
      Errors were encountered while processing:
      mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb
      m@6:~$
      The sounds like dpkg cannot find the .deb, make sure you run that command from the directory that contains the .deb or use the full path to the .deb

For example, if mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb is located at ~/Downloads either:

cd ~/Downloads && sudo dpkg -i mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb

or

sudo dpkg -i ~/Downloads/mkahawa-client_0.0.4-2_i386.deb

Also make sure the spelling is corrent and that you have the right package version

Comment

Snowhog, hi yes I read it and have all that installed, thanks.

James! Thanks! Total newbie here more or less and it looks like what you said has worked (need to reboot but wanted to thank you while I have the browser open on here). I thought it might be something like that. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Well I managed to install it, it says it installed etc. But it does not start the program when you reboot and I can't even find it in my "Applications" either... You have to add the user info during install and the software is supposed to work automatically for that user account, but not working for me, probably something simple but no idea what?

Comment

I haven't used this software but out of curiosity I read the FAQ and saw these comments:

Code:

On the server: 
            Create a desktop launcher for mkahawa. 
            Right-click on the desktop and select "Create Launcher" from the popup menu
            Set Name to "Mkahawa Server", and Command to: /usr/bin/mkahawa -nossl

On the clients:
            You need to log in to an account and run the command below at each client. 
            You will be asked to set connectivity parameters.
              :~$ sudo conf-mkahawa-client
            just thought you should make sure you did these...

Please Read Me

Comment

Which means you must also have a server setup for this, as just installing the client side app on the 'user' PCs isn't enough.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X