X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multitouch support?

will 10.10 support multitouch lappy's?
    i was hoping to drop w7 and use kubuntu on it.

Re: Multitouch support?

'multitouch'? Getting 'long in the tooth' and 'gray in the beard' so, that is what exactly? :P
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Never heard of touchscreens? its where you touch your monitor and it basically does the work of your mouse plus can do gestures..etc.
      Ever heard of Ipad? its a tablet that has no keyboard or mouse, so you use your fingers on its screen. Some cell phones have it, pda's...etc.

multitouch is simply being able to use more than one finger...so if i put 2 fingers on the monitor and rotate, it could rotate a picture or something, so its more for gestures.

now if i have to explain what a monitor is, you need to get off of here. lol j/k btw.

but seriously, i needed to know if 10.10 offers support for multitouch aka: touch screen monitors.
      i saw a video showing multitouch with kubuntu but then someone mentioned it was fake and done under windows 7

Comment

What is multitouch?

https://launchpad.net/canonical-multitouch

Canonical is deeply committed to the future of computing and how humans interact with computers on a daily basis. Multi-touch technologies are the next step in this area, and this project groups aims to collect our efforts in this field centrally on Launchpad.

https://answers.launchpad.net/utouch/+question/122044
        Are there plans to make uTouch available for inclusion in other distributions (e.g., Debian)?

http://blog.canonical.com/?p=414

Multi-touch Support Lands in Maverick

Using a Novatech X16 NV Pro

Comment

so i take that as a not yet?

Comment

Did you read the linked article: http://blog.canonical.com/?p=414
            The last part contains:
            Our aim is to bring the natural, tactile experience of the world to the desktop, window manager, and applications you value — all the software that you depend upon to get things done and have fun. Touch will be part of the Ubuntu Netbook, Desktop and Light products from 10.10 and beyond.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

i saw a video showing multitouch with kubuntu but then someone mentioned it was fake and done under windows 7
              And you believed them

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by f1refly
                now if i have to explain what a monitor is, you need to get off of here. lol j/k btw.
                I resemble that remark!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by f1refly
                  so i take that as a not yet?
                  I will settle for single touch and screen auto-rotation ... working reliably ... before I worried about multi-touch and gestures and such. Let me use my finger to press buttons and write on screen please.

~~~ 0;-Dan

Comment

"touch" is precisely why, as far a I , PERSONALLY, know that Gnome3 and Unity have been produced.

The above is just my assumption and has no relation to actual reality!

Supposedly, I could get a monitor at a box store now that has "touch screen" capability for a few hundred buckolas.

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I might consider using "Multi-shake". If that touch screen technology can't take into account the involuntary shaking of the user's fingers, or their tapping of the screen, then I can't use it.

My wife's life was saved by a skilled surgeon using the Da Vinci Surgical Robot. Her life threatening Mitral prophase relapse required having to stop the heart and put her on the heart-lung machine while the surgeon used the robot. It took 5 1/2 hours. Her heart valve had so many problems that it took three tries, using different technologies, to repair the valve. The successful fix was to replace it with a cow valve. When she was brought out of the anesthesia we discovered that she had a stroke which paralyzed the right side of her body and garbled her speech to the point we could not understand her, but because of quick clot busting drugs she had 95% recovery within 5 days and 99.9% recovery within a couple months. She still has a slight drag in her right foot, but other than that she's 100% But, because she was on the heart-lung machine so long, she developed "pump head", a fogginess of the mind, caused by crushed RBC and other blood contents, which can last from days to months. For a while her vision had everyone looking like penguins and the environment looking like the bluish-white haze of the antarctic.

Since then, the robot has been improved for heart surgery by the use of a very light rod which maintains contact with the heart in the vicinity of the surgery. As the heart BEATS the rod stays attached to it, sending a signal to the robot which is used make the "hands" of the robot move in synchronization with the beat so that in the monitor the heart appear to be stopped and while the robot "hands" are moving up and down or in and out with the heart, the surgeon sees only the "motionless" heart and hands in the view screen.

It would be nice if a touch screen could react to shakiness and electronically eliminate it.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X