Anybody aware of MPR - makedeb package repository

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody aware of MPR - makedeb package repository

Found this on Reddit this morning: https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/com...an_and_ubuntu/

Just wondering if anyone is involved or has knowledge of it.

I haven't dug too deeply but the idea of a better package management system is fantastic. The sole long-lasting gripe I have about Kubuntu is not having one single, robust, full-featured. easy to use package manager. It's 2021 and I still upgrade on the cli because I have yet to find a worthy package manager.

Please Read Me

I read about it on /r/Linux the other day, but have not looked at it in-depth.

Debian is going to be a leeettle bit harder than Arch for creating an AUR-equivalent, I think.
    It can be done for sure, but the dependency and library packaging in Debian will be a large ball of fun to figure out. Arch is far easier for this as they don't separate the -dev stuff from the binaries and libraries like Debian based packaging does.
    Granted, build scripts should account for this --except when the dependency names change, which happens just enough that it could be a butt-pain making this work across different Debian or Ubuntu releases, without having to keep build scripts for all the different releases.

Messy

Now we have a half dozen different ways of getting stuff, with and equal rise in the places where things can go wrong or fail. Especially when that shiny new thing requires new system libraries that might F*** up other software and systems. Or the desktop.

I like the idea, but it may just be a bit too late to the party, and the beer is running out.

Also, compiling from source for many things, particularly those that are not massive and complex, is not really hard.......except for the first time one tries it without any in-depth dependency lists. After that, and the subsequent hair loss , it is quite simple.

Comment

For years I often compiled the kernel to get drivers for my particular hardware. One would go through the kernel menu options and turn on the modules one wanted to compile. Mostly it was for internet, sound or graphic devices.

I also compiled a lot of packages, too. Usually, it was easy:
      make config
      make
      su make install

After running the last command you'd keep the source code around so that if you wanted to remove the package you could
      su make uninstall

But, alas, some configs didn't include the "uninstall" section so one had to read the install script and remove the application file by file.

I don't remember when it started but some time ago the devs (kernel? Ubuntu? Kubuntu?) began precompiling all the modules and making them available as *.ko files so that all one had to do was use modprobe. Then, during install, detection and module installation because automatic and mostly worked out of the box.

I don't like snap or flatpak, and prefer AppImages for packages not in the Ubuntu repositories. On rare occasions I use QtPackageKit to install a deb package that I download from a trusted website. Other than that, I use muon for 99% of my installs and the CLI for 100% of my updates.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I found this documentation of the makedeb repository and how to add it to your sources list.

https://makedeb.hunterwittenborn.com...pt-repository/

Code:
        [B]Repository Configuration[/B][B]First, add the signing key:[/B]

wget -qO - 'https://proget.hunterwittenborn.com/debian-feeds/makedeb.pub' | \
        gpg --dearmor | \
        sudo tee /usr/share/keyrings/makedeb-archive-keyring.gpg &> /dev/null

[B]Next, add the repository information to your system:[/B]

echo 'deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/makedeb-archive-keyring.gpg arch=all] https://proget.hunterwittenborn.com/ makedeb main' | \
        sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/makedeb.list

[B]Lastly, update the repository cache on your system:[/B]

sudo apt update
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X