Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm, I had the same problem with Muon not showing the ppa's and for the same reason, adding the pre-release ppa.
    I took the 'easy' way and re-installed, something that went smooth.

Then before any updates I followed the idea of removing anything snapd and installed Muon using the Konsole.
    After earlier problems I was a bit worried about Thunderbird and Firefox but they work again based on the existing data bases.

But several for me essential applications are missing and Gwenview needed a re-install but it still won't install it's plugins (not available).
    The one's I am missing are kradio, pypar2 and Showfoto (linked with digikam)
    Installing previous versions doesn't work because among others Python2 is no longer available.

I have a little hope at least the Gwenview plugins will become available, the rest seems not to be in active development.

Comment

kradio was kde4 based, so was removed from the archive when kde4libs were.

pypar2 was removed from the archive in Feb 2018 because it was unmaintained, and blocked other needed libraries from being updated.

digikam (showfoto) was removed from focal archive, as the version inherited from debian cannot build in focal (builds fail with opencv4).

The gwenview plugins (kipi-plugins) were build by digikam, but are now a separate source from KDE, which will (I hope) get into the archive in 20.04
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

And after a couple hundred packages were updated, and for grins and giggles, I decided to try installing "ubuntu-drivers-common" using Synaptic. It installed without problems.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oh yes, for those looking for a good Chrome based browser without the security problems check out SRWare Iron:
          https://www.srware.net/iron/
          Personally I see no reason for Chrome, Firefox works fine.
          Last edited by Teunis; Feb 02, 2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            And after a couple hundred packages were updated, and for grins and giggles, I decided to try installing "ubuntu-drivers-common" using Synaptic. It installed without problems.
            I found that on my ASUS that did not have "ubuntu-drivers-common" installed, I also did not have "kubuntu-driver-manager" installed.

I found that by installing "kubuntu-driver-manager" it would also install alsa-utils, kubuntu-driver-manager and libatopology2.

So like you at this stage, all is working well.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
              The gwenview plugins (kipi-plugins) were build by digikam, but are now a separate source from KDE, which will (I hope) get into the archive in 20.04
              I have gwenview working and the version I have is 4:19.12.1-0ubuntu1. On muon, I could not find any reference to kipi-plugins in gwenview's Dependencies or Installed Files.

Comment

I have the same version of Gweniew but here the option to install plugins is greyed out with the text "No plugin found".
                That's the reason I added the pre-release ppa.""
                Before removing Discovery this would lead to a (probable) snap link but this time I'm sure I run a .deb version of Gwenview.

I never liked Digikam because it insisted in reordering my many photo's along it's own principles, Gwenview does not get in the way and Showfoto gave a few simple editing options.

Of course photo's can be edited in Darktable and Gimp but they are often a bit over the top.
                Last edited by Teunis; Feb 03, 2020, 08:54 AM. Reason: Removing a bunch of mark up...

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                  I have gwenview working and the version I have is 4:19.12.1-0ubuntu1. On muon, I could not find any reference to kipi-plugins in gwenview's Dependencies or Installed Files.
                  gwenview builds with and depends on libkipi, which is the library to allow it to use kipi-plugins if they are available.

As said, the actual kipi-plugins used to be built by the digikam source. Now they are in a new KDE source not in 20.04 yet.

It would not be sensible for gwenview to depend/recommend/suggest them at the moment, as they are not available.
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

initramfs-tools package update error

This morning:

Code:
                    Setting up initramfs-tools (0.133ubuntu13) ...
                    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
                    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.133ubuntu13)
                    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-13-generic
                    E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/btrfs failed with return 1.
                    update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-13-generic with 1.
                    [B]dpkg[/B]: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
                     installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit satus 1
                    Errors were encountered while processing:
                     initramfs-tools
                    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
                    I have just two kernel installed:

linux-image-5.4.0-12-generic
                    linux-image-5.4.0-13-generic
                    linux-image-generic

I'm booted with the 5.4.0-13-generic kernel when I apt update and apt full-upgrade'd
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've been running 20.04 for a while and have had little to no problem with it at all. Everything has been smooth including all Wine apps, etc. I ran update this morning and received the following error:

Reading package lists... Done
                      Building dependency tree
                      Reading state information... Done
                      Calculating upgrade... Done
                      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                      1 not fully installed or removed.
                      After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
                      Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.133ubuntu13) ...
                      E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/fsck failed with return 1.
                      dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
                      installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error ex
                      it status 1
                      initramfs-tools

Any ideas on how to clear this and finish the upgrade?

Comment

The usual. In a Konsole issue

sudo apt -f install
                        sudo dpkg --configure -a

Repeat them until no error msgs are reported.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

sudo apt -f install
                          sudo dpkg --configure -a

I've run both at least a dozen times but continue getting the same error:

Code:
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree       
                          Reading state information... Done
                          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                          1 not fully installed or removed.
                          After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
                          Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.133ubuntu13) ...
                          E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/fsck failed with return 1.
                          dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
                          installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
                          initramfs-tools

Comment

sudo apt -f install
                            sudo dpkg --configure -a

Neither works in this case.

Added:
                            I wonder if this is a regression issue. I found a Debian bug report on the exact same problem (earlier kernel of course, but still the exact same issue):

Debian Bug report logs - #898720
                            E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/btrfs failed with return 1 (btrfs-zero-log no longer present)
                            Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 04, 2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              This morning:

Code:
                              Again, this is the version of initramfs-tools in PROPOSED pocket.

NO-ONE SHOULD BE USING PACKAGES FROM PROPOSED :P :P

Packages in proposed are IN PROPOSED until they can be confirmed that they don't break things.

As you can see from the proposed migration excuses page, the proposed version is thoroughly borked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2b79e36796.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	644571
                              Last edited by acheron; Feb 04, 2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Thank you.

I'm running 20.04 on my laptop; not my production rig; so I wasn't worried.

Muon Package Manager wouldn't let me get into Configure Software Sources; as soon as I typed in my password it updated the package list and returned me to that list. Launched Discover and went to Settings. I scrolled down and see that I have Focal proposed (multiverse universe restricted main) marked.

This is the first issue I've had with Focal since I installed it (and had that repository marked). Like I said; not my production rig.

I'll just leave it on; won't reboot; and run apt update && apt full-upgrade periodically until the issue resolves.

I do thank you for the precise explanation of the issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X