Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran into that same problem yesterday. This morning I rolled back to 20200122.

After doing a 22 file upgrade earlier today, I opened Muon to check my repository settings and when I entered the password it took me back to the main GUI.
    This was the error msg:
    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/software-properties-kde", line 38, in <module>
    from softwareproperties.qt.SoftwarePropertiesQt import SoftwarePropertiesQt
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/qt/SoftwarePropertiesQt.py", line 56, in <module>
    from UbuntuDrivers import detect
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'UbuntuDrivers'
    But, XDG_RUNTIME_DIR was set:
    :~$ env | grep XDG
    XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-plasma:/etc/xdg:/usr/share/kubuntu-default-settings/kf5-settings
    XDG_SESSION_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Session1
    XDG_SEAT=seat0
    XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=KDE
    XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
    XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE
    XDG_SEAT_PATH=/org/freedesktop/DisplayManager/Seat0
    XDG_SESSION_CLASS=user
    XDG_VTNR=1
    XDG_SESSION_ID=3
    XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000
    XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/plasma:/usr/local/share:/usr/share:/var/lib/snapd/desktop

I redid "sudo apt update & sudo apt full-upgrade" and got only two apps held back (libwin32 and wine32). So, out of curiosity, I opened Discover. It said I had 41 apps ready to update. So, I let it run. I still can't access my repository setting dialog, however.

Discover must bedrawing from the snap store. That means that either I abandon Muon and use Discover only, or I run apt from the command line and Discover from the menu.

I hope this is not the way Kubuntu is heading. And, if it is, how can Neon avoid it without re-engineering its Ubuntu base?
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 28, 2020, 07:41 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
      ubuntu-drivers-common is the driver check/install commands and backend used by the various DE specific GUI tools for driver install (like "kubuntu-driver-manager"), which depend on it...so it actually should be installed if you have "kubuntu-driver-manager" installed (i'm not on focal so I can't directly check if there are any changes to the dependency chain, but I doubt it). EDIT, checked, kubuntu-driver-manager still depends on ubuntu-drivers-common on focal.
      I have two systems with Focal. One is an ASUS with an Nvidia video and the other is a HP with an AMD Radeon RX Vega video.

My ASUS does not have "kubuntu-driver-manager" installed or "ubuntu-driver-common" and has no problems with the Pre-release updates. Whereas my HP which is a UHD display has both "kubuntu-driver-manager" and "ubuntu-driver-common" installed.

I have with previous distributions encountered problems with Pre-release updated and waited for this problem to pass. In this case I found the difference a little odd and that is why I decided to seek a solution.

I will take your advice and wait out until the problem packaged is fixed. At least Muon gives me a good guide on what is going to be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
        My ASUS does not have "kubuntu-driver-manager" installed or "ubuntu-driver-common" and has no problems with the Pre-release updates. Whereas my HP which is a UHD display has both "kubuntu-driver-manager" and "ubuntu-driver-common" installed
        Neither should be strictly speaking necessary (if you don't need the kubuntu-driver-manager, and nothing else you need depends on them). You can always install drivers manually and not use the driver-manager GUI. I thought you meant that ubuntu-drivers-common wasn't installed on one focal installation and kubuntu-driver-manager was (which would be quite strange).

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        But, XDG_RUNTIME_DIR was set
        The XDG message is normal, and results from muon running as root (XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is set for your user, but not for root, so it just uses /tmp/runtime-root which is the default)
        The rest of the messages point to a python problem. Muon's repository management uses "software-properties-kde" which wants to load the UbuntuDrivers python module. Do you have ubuntu-drivers-common installed? (If not, try installing it...if yes, then it's a problem with the packages, something is lagging behind)

Comment

Neither should be strictly speaking necessary (if you don't need the kubuntu-driver-manager, and nothing else you need depends on them). You can always install drivers manually and not use the driver-manager GUI. I thought you meant that ubuntu-drivers-common wasn't installed on one focal installation and kubuntu-driver-manager was (which would be quite strange).

The XDG message is normal, and results from muon running as root (XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is set for your user, but not for root, so it just uses /tmp/runtime-root which is the default)
          The rest of the messages point to a python problem. Muon's repository management uses "software-properties-kde" which wants to load the UbuntuDrivers python module. Do you have ubuntu-drivers-common installed? (If not, try installing it...if yes, then it's a problem with the packages, something is lagging behind)
          Kubuntu-drivers-manager was not installed and could not be marked for installation or upgrade.

Ubuntu-drivers-manager gave the same msg:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ubuntu-drivers-common.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	644563

I'll poke around in the python packages and see what pops up.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

ubuntu-drivers-common is a real package

The reason it is not installable is that ubuntu-drivers-common depends on alsa-utils which is not installable with proposed enabled, as it depends on alsa-libs which in proposed version breaks the version of alsa-utils that is available.

This sort of thing is why the proposed > release pocket separation exists. Packages do not migrate from the proposed to release pocket until such installability brokenness is fixed.

Even brave testers of the dev release should not routinely run with proposed enabled.
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up!
              Now, how do I re-enable my access to repository settings?

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up!
                Now, how do I re-enable my access to repository settings?
                First disable your proposed repositories by commenting out the lines that have "proposed" in them in /etc/apt/sources.list.

Then run "sudo apt update & sudo apt install ubuntu-drivers-common"
                If there are no errors, muon's repository management should work after that. If there are errors with the install, post them here (if you have already installed stuff from proposed, you may need to downgrade them to meet depencies)

Comment

I had previously commented out the line containing the "proposed" stuff, and re-ran Muon. That didn't help so I purged muon and software-properties-qt and it two dependencies, logged out and back in, and reinstalled them. That didn't help either.

I also tried to install ubuntu-drivers-common but was told it was a "virtual" application and could not be installed.

I searched every muon config file for any thing that might unlock the repository, of which locate listed many, directly or indirectly related. None except sources.list made any mention of "Proposed".

Here is what I got when I ran your suggestion.
                  jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~$ sudo apt update & sudo apt install ubuntu-drivers-common
                  [2] 72007
                  Hit:1 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease
                  Hit:2 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates InRelease
                  Hit:3 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu focal InRelease
                  Hit:4 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports InRelease
                  Hit:5 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security InRelease
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
                  The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                  ubuntu-drivers-common : Depends: alsa-utils
                  E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
                  Building dependency tree
                  2 packages can be upgraded. Run 'apt list --upgradable' to see them.

[2]- Done sudo apt update

jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~$ sudo apt install alsa-utils
                  Building dependency tree
                  Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable distribution that some required packages have not yet been created or been moved out of Incoming.
                  The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                  alsa-utils : Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.1.1)
                  wine32:i386 : Depends: libwine:i386 (= 4.0.3-1) but it is not going to be installed
                  E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
                  The wine32 and libwine packages are necessary to run my wife's EKG analysis tool, and I have had them installed for a while and I had access to the repository settings before I checked the "Proposed" box in the software repository dialog.

And, I don't see the "Proposed" archive
                  ## deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-proposed multiverse universe restricted main

in the listings:
                  Code:
                  [B]jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~$ vdir /var/lib/apt/lists[/B]
                  total 149780
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    10930 Dec 10 13:44 archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     3735 Dec 10 13:44 archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_partner_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     3994 Oct 18 06:49 archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_partner_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1981 Dec 10 13:44 archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_partner_i18n_Translation-en
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 _apt root        0 Jan  3 23:22 auxfiles
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    79749 Oct 25 00:28 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       53 Oct 25 00:23 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_main_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       59 Oct 25 00:23 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_multiverse_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       59 Oct 25 00:23 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_restricted_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       57 Oct 25 00:23 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_universe_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   255467 Jan 29 14:05 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  6321158 Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4363906 Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   110136 Nov 25 21:24 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   734467 Jan 29 11:46 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_Components-amd64.yml.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   368016 Jan 29 11:46 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_icons-128x128.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    90966 Jan 29 11:46 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_icons-48x48.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     6234 Jan 15 14:47 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_icons-64x64%402.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   161088 Jan 29 11:46 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_icons-64x64.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  3010164 Jan 28 23:19 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_i18n_Translation-en
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    11684 Jan 10 12:07 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_i18n_Translation-en%5fCA
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   751106 Jan 28 08:59 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   371071 Jan 27 20:54 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    32732 Nov 25 19:30 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    58756 Jan 29 11:56 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_Components-amd64.yml.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   357871 Jan 29 11:56 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_icons-128x128.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    14943 Jan 29 11:56 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_icons-48x48.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1062 Dec 10 14:58 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_icons-64x64%402.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   199916 Jan 29 11:56 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_icons-64x64.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   477743 Jan 28 08:59 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   263600 Jan 28 09:25 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_restricted_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    59755 Jan 24 06:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_restricted_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1357 Nov 15 08:25 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_restricted_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    48071 Jan 28 08:59 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_restricted_i18n_Translation-en
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 49726207 Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 25647543 Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  1152791 Nov 25 21:26 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  5506574 Jan 29 11:51 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_Components-amd64.yml.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 15204406 Jan 29 11:50 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_icons-128x128.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2935737 Jan 29 11:50 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_icons-48x48.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    35700 Jan 28 07:53 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_icons-64x64%402.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  7923448 Jan 29 11:50 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_icons-64x64.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 26781141 Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_i18n_Translation-en
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1858 Jan 10 12:07 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_i18n_Translation-en%5fCA
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    79701 Oct 25 00:33 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       51 Oct 25 00:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_main_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       57 Oct 25 00:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_multiverse_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       57 Oct 25 00:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_restricted_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       55 Oct 25 00:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_universe_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r----- 1 root root        0 Jan  3 23:22 lock
                  drwx------ 1 _apt root        0 Jan 29 14:41 partial
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    79703 Oct 25 00:33 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       52 Oct 25 00:29 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_main_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       58 Oct 25 00:29 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_multiverse_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       58 Oct 25 00:29 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_restricted_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       56 Oct 25 00:29 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_universe_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  Or,
                  Code:
                  [B]jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~$ ls -lh /var/lib/apt/lists/ | uniq[/B]
                  total 147M
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  11K Dec 10 13:44 archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3.7K Dec 10 13:44 archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_partner_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.0K Oct 18 06:49 archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_partner_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.0K Dec 10 13:44 archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_partner_i18n_Translation-en
                  drwxr-xr-x 1 _apt root    0 Jan  3 23:22 auxfiles
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  78K Oct 25 00:28 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   53 Oct 25 00:23 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_main_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   59 Oct 25 00:23 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_multiverse_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   59 Oct 25 00:23 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_restricted_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   57 Oct 25 00:23 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-backports_universe_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 250K Jan 29 14:05 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6.1M Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.2M Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 108K Nov 25 21:24 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 718K Jan 29 11:46 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_Components-amd64.yml.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 360K Jan 29 11:46 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_icons-128x128.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  89K Jan 29 11:46 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_icons-48x48.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6.1K Jan 15 14:47 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_icons-64x64%402.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 158K Jan 29 11:46 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_dep11_icons-64x64.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.9M Jan 28 23:19 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_i18n_Translation-en
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  12K Jan 10 12:07 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_main_i18n_Translation-en%5fCA
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 734K Jan 28 08:59 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 363K Jan 27 20:54 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  32K Nov 25 19:30 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  58K Jan 29 11:56 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_Components-amd64.yml.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 350K Jan 29 11:56 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_icons-128x128.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  15K Jan 29 11:56 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_icons-48x48.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.1K Dec 10 14:58 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_icons-64x64%402.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 196K Jan 29 11:56 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_dep11_icons-64x64.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 467K Jan 28 08:59 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_multiverse_i18n_Translation-en
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 258K Jan 28 09:25 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_restricted_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  59K Jan 24 06:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_restricted_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.4K Nov 15 08:25 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_restricted_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  47K Jan 28 08:59 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_restricted_i18n_Translation-en
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  48M Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_binary-amd64_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  25M Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_binary-i386_Packages
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.1M Nov 25 21:26 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5.3M Jan 29 11:51 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_Components-amd64.yml.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  15M Jan 29 11:50 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_icons-128x128.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2.8M Jan 29 11:50 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_icons-48x48.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  35K Jan 28 07:53 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_icons-64x64%402.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7.6M Jan 29 11:50 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_dep11_icons-64x64.tar.gz
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  26M Jan 29 13:44 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_i18n_Translation-en
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1.9K Jan 10 12:07 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal_universe_i18n_Translation-en%5fCA
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  78K Oct 25 00:33 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   51 Oct 25 00:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_main_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   57 Oct 25 00:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_multiverse_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   57 Oct 25 00:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_restricted_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   55 Oct 25 00:29 ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-updates_universe_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r----- 1 root root    0 Jan  3 23:22 lock
                  drwx------ 1 _apt root    0 Jan 29 14:41 partial
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  78K Oct 25 00:33 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_InRelease
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   52 Oct 25 00:29 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_main_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   58 Oct 25 00:29 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_multiverse_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   58 Oct 25 00:29 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_restricted_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   56 Oct 25 00:29 security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_focal-security_universe_cnf_Commands-amd64
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 29, 2020, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Ok, things are still broken.

Let's try some apt housekeeping first:
                    "sudo dpkg --configure -a"
                    "sudo apt -f install"
                    "sudo apt clean"
                    Post errors if you get them

Then post the output of:
                    "apt list -a ubuntu-drivers-common"
                    "apt list -a software-properties-kde"

Comment

I had commented out
                      ## deb http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-proposed multiverse universe restricted main
                      in /etc/apt/sources.list

Code:
                      jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~[B]$ sudo dpkg --configure -a    [/B]           
                      [sudo] password for jerry: 
                      jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~[B]$ sudo apt -f install   [/B]                 
                      Building dependency tree       
                      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
                      jerry@Aspire-V3-771:[B]~$ sudo apt clean[/B]
                      jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~[B]$ sudo apt autoremove[/B]
                      Building dependency tree       
                      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
                      jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~[B]$ apt list -a ubuntu-drivers-common[/B]
                      Listing... Done
                      ubuntu-drivers-common/focal 1:0.7.6.1 amd64

jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~[B]$ apt list -a software-properties-kde[/B]
                      Listing... Done
                      jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~$
                      I installed synaptic and used it to delete all residual config files. I also noticed that it had no problems showing me the repository list and allowing me to edit them.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	synaptic_repositories.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	644565
                      And the "Pre-release updates" aka "focal-proposed" repository did not show because it was commented out.
                      However, I still cannot access or edit the repository list in Muon to uncheck the "Pre-release" option.
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 29, 2020, 10:30 PM.

Comment

I agree with you that it is quite strange.

I have been using Muon for several days now to change the updates to Pre-release on my HP Laptop. I changed the Request option to list at the top all packages that will be removed. I have found that the list of packages to remove was steadily dropping. This morning there was only one package to be removed, ie python3-uno. I considered that Muon removing this package would not break my system. So I went ahead and installed 170 packages and my system is still working. Thanks for all the effort put into making this work

The only odd feature is that udisksd uses 100% of one of my CPU's!
                        This no longer happens and udiskd seems to need time to sort things out.

I like all the new features of KDE Plasma 5.17.90. I was hoping that the outstanding problem of desktop widgets gong for a walk is not yet fixed - for a UHD system. If I keep UHD resolution for my Laptop and Auxiliary Monitor the desktop widgets do not move. If I change the laptop screen resolution from 3840x2160 to 2560x1440, the widget on my laptop screen moves from the position I have set before reboot.
                        Last edited by NoWorries; Jan 31, 2020, 02:06 PM. Reason: udisksd is no longer using 100% of one CPU

Comment

I had commented out
                          in /etc/apt/sources.list
                          Yes, that's fine. It's not the one causing your problems

Code:
                          jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~[B]$ apt list -a software-properties-kde[/B]
                          Listing... Done
                          Ah, it seems the package name has changed to software-properties-qt after bionic, my bad. I'm not on focal so it makes it a tad harder for me to troubleshoot (https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?k...ll&section=all)

I installed synaptic and used it to delete all residual config files. I also noticed that it had no problems showing me the repository list and allowing me to edit them.
                          This is because synaptic edits /etc/apt/sources.list directly, it does not use the "software-properties" backend to do it like muon does.
                          And the "Pre-release updates" aka "focal-proposed" repository did not show because it was commented out.
                          It's not shown at all, because of the double quotation (##) in /etc/apt/sources.list, with only one quotation, it would show, but disabled.
                          However, I still cannot access or edit the repository list in Muon to uncheck the "Pre-release" option.
                          You shouldn't need to disable the pre-release options in muon any more, it's already disabled by commenting out the proposed repo.

Of course there is still the problem of not being able to install 'ubuntu-drivers-common', what happens if you try to install it with synaptic?

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                            I have been using Muon for several days now to change the updates to Pre-release on my HP Laptop.
                            Like mentioned before on this thread by myself (and acheron), this is not really a great idea.
                            Since it's the development version, everything goes to the focal repo as soon as the packages check out.
                            With the pre-release (or proposed) repo enabled, you're only end up with broken packages and you're not going to get anything any sooner (technically, you might get the working packages a few hours sooner, but not worth the risk of breaking the system with the broken packages).
                            Last edited by kubicle; Jan 30, 2020, 01:20 AM.

Comment

As I have a fallback system to go to on my Laptop, I am prepared to take the risk. I have now found that the problem that I reported with udisksd using 100% of one of my 8 processors is now not happening.

One problem that I do have is that I can no longer record audio with Kazam. I use PulseAudio volume control to define the recording device. The problem is that PulseAudio does not detect any recording device. I do not think this problem is a result of using pre-released updates but some problem in PulseAudio. The version I have is 1:13.0-3ubuntu1.

Comment

Of course there is still the problem of not being able to install 'ubuntu-drivers-common', what happens if you try to install it with synaptic?
                                Good idea!
                                This time Synaptic showed me the problem, failure to install libfftw3-single:i386, giving the msg:
                                "Could not apply changes!
                                Fix broken dependencies first!
                                "
                                because a previous version of that library is already installed.

Of course,
                                Code:
                                [I]jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~[B]$ sudo apt -f install[/B][/I]
                                [I][sudo] password for jerry: [/I]
                                [I]Reading package lists... Done[/I]
                                [I]Building dependency tree       [/I]
                                [I]Reading state information... Done[/I]
                                [I]0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.[/I]
                                [I]jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~[B]$ sudo dpkg --configure -a[/B][/I]
                                [I]jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~$ [/I]
                                shows no broken dependencies.

Using Synaptic I attempted to remove the older version of libfftw3-single3 but it required that I remove CubicSDR, which I did. Then I attempted to remove its sibling, libfftw3-double3, and it said a boat load of other packages had to be removed as well, which I decided not to do. I reinstalled libfftw3-single3:i386 and CubicSDR.

I think that is where I am going to leave it. It was an interesting exercise in CLI gymnastics, something I probably hadn't done as deeply since RH 5.0

When Kubuntu 20.04 goes gold I will, no doubt, re-install from the gold ISO, and reinstall my EKG, SpaceEngine-0.98, SageMath packages as well.
                                Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 30, 2020, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X