Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly. A 5-year-old 4-core Celeron with 8G RAM is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike up to it.
    Your specs are overkill.

Something just a little younger and with 16G of RAM and a half-decent video card would probably be just fine.

Comment

and

running like an install , but still in "try me" stage , not installed yet .

the sound from the youtube vid is playing through the host speakers without me doing anything .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have tried both Virtual Box and QEMU and have stuck with the latter. I have 16 GiB memory and a 7th gen i3 which supposedly has a clock speed of 3.9,. and I set my guest distros to 4 GiB memory and dual cores. Currently I have 3 distros installed on it: Manjaro (to see why it's so popular), Neon stable, and Kubuntu 19.10, which looks really good so far. I've tried Mint, but dumped it fairly quickly, as I have otgher distros on Distrowatch's tops list. I no longer need Windows for work because I?m retired and so got rid of it. The only Windows thing I run is Space Engine, whic I run using Wine and am waiting for the author to provide a Linux-based version for Steam. Virtual Engines are fun and allow one to check out a number of distros. I still always come back to Kubuntu, however.

Comment

I've been having a hell of a time with Qemu.
          On my 4-core 8G system - which is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike up to VirtualBox - I tried Qemu.
          Well, the problem seems to be graphics, all the rest runs almost, but not quite, entirely unlike fast enough... faster than VB anyway.

Thing is, resizing to window won't work, and if I try to power off the machine to try different settings, at reboot all I get - always - is this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	qerr.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	644289

Which does not happen at first boot, only if I shut it down.

Comment

At first all my Qemu VM windows were automatically set to my old monitor--1028 X 768--so I reset them using system settings/display. Now the only time I get the smaller settings is when I use Wayland on Neon, which I cannot get to produce other than a 1028 X 768 image. So I stopped using Wayland.

Comment

I use VirtualBox daily with multiple VMs interacting with each other (part of my job). Currently it's mostly Windows 10 and Centos 6.7, but formerly Windows 7, XP and Centos 3.6 (?). All run rather well until I have more than 4 or 5 open at once. I have 4 cores enabled on the Centos VMs but only 1 on the Windows and they all have 2GB ram and max video memory. I run them on i7-6700 series machines with 32GB ram. I casually install various other distros for a look-see or some testing or file stealing, whatever.

Network and video usage seem to be the biggest bottlenecks, but they're all usable.

The primary benefit for my usage is when I trash a VM I just re-import it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Talking about network... this got me a bit curious:

Name:	vmnetw.png
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	644290

On the left, network usage for Ubuntu 19.04 in the VM. On the right, for the host, Neon 18.04.
                See, on the VM, it never goes to zero. It's always at least 200 Bps. Usually more.

Do you think it's because of Ubuntu, or the VM?
                Probably Ubuntu though, I don't remember seeing this with other VM distros... but whichever it is... just what is it transmitting/ receiving all the time, I wonder

Comment

Just for fun, since I run windows 10 in a VM;

Name:	Screenshot_20190827_145433.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	644291

Please Read Me

Comment

, that has to be the perfect wallpaper for win-10 in a VM on a linux host !

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      , that has to be the perfect wallpaper for win-10 in a VM on a linux host !

VINNY
                      Ding Ding Ding ! A winner!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X