This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop reviews?

Has anyone bought a higher end laptop in the last six months to a year? What do you think of it now?

Looking to get 15.6" FHD, 16-32GB RAM, i7, 8th or 9th generation, backlit keyboard with discrete graphics.

Thanks for your time.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

I got this 4-5 years ago , and I feel like it's still going strong .

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post359264

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny. The Gazelle is on my shortlist and System76 seems to be the only place I can get exactly what I want, as in each individual component. That being said I have some reservations about System76. They do rely on a bit of snob appeal and are projecting themselves as the "Apple" of Linux. I never much cared for Apple's "We're for the creators, the artists" ethos. I just want some power that will last me a while and the ability to do some minor video editing without having to wait all day.
      Last edited by SpecialEd; Jul 27, 2019, 10:27 PM. Reason: Listed wrong model

Comment

My son was here a while ago with a Lenovo X1 Carbon.
        (and yes, we did install Kubuntu on it ;·)

Quite impressive. Fast, rugged, battery life is really something.
        I has a backlit keyboard too. :·)

Comment

Lenovo is the other brand on my shortlist. The problem is finding a 15.6" display(numpad is a must)with discrete graphics.
          Last edited by SpecialEd; Jul 27, 2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Well, the X1 Extreme has a 15'6" screen and an nvidia GTX 1050 GPU.
            Wouldn't really know about how discrete that is...

Comment

MSI here. Specs in sig below. Been pleased. Actually have a newer version of it at work. 7th Gen i7.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions but I've already set things in motion and my new System76 Gazelle shipped today.

Comment

I bought a Lenovo Yoga 730 15" screen "Platinum" model.

Runs super fast with Neon. The fingerprint scanner isn't Linux supported (yet) and I haven't fiddled much with the touch screen, but it does appear to work.

Initially, I had to figure out how to disable Intel RST without wiping Windows 10 (for warranty service if needed). Then I had a bunch of video problems. First, nvidia wouldn't start using the default open source driver. Since I couldn't get to the desktop, I had to figure out how to enable wifi (no ethernet port) at the command line then I could install the nvidia driver. Once I had that working I had to figure out how to adjust the display because Plasma is not working well at 4K out-of-the-box on smaller screens. That took a couple hours.

Now it's pretty solid. SDDM doesn't do HiDPI well either so when I initially power it on the log in screen is tiny. No matter though because I just type in my password and hit Enter. If I log out, the log in screen keeps the desktop settings so it's more normal looking.

Please Read Me

Comment

I received my new 15" Gazelle on Monday. I promptly loaded KDE Neon over the pre-installed Ubuntu. I had some teething problems, couldn't get the Nvidia drivers working right and there were a couple other quirks that I just couldn't figure out. So ashamedly, after the fact, I checked the checksums and no go. I tried d/l Neon a few times but couldn't get the checksums to pass. I loaded Kubuntu 18.04 this afternoon and everything fell into place, Nvidia GPU is working, everything running smoothly. My fears of buying a product sight-unseen, have been put to rest. Of course we're only on day 3.

Comment

Working...
                    X