This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate files project

I have a problem and no clear idea on how best to solve it. Please look at the image:

Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_case_conflict_images.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	649465

First, you MUST assume that a file with the exact same name, minus "(Case Conflict)" always exists; that would be the an original file. What's happened is that through the years--and multiple Nikon cameras and smartphones, and restoring files from backups when getting a new computer--I've ended up with duplicates/triplicates of the same files, and not always in the same case. For example, one of my old devices arbitrarily named its images ".JPG" so I have case issues, too.

In the first Dolphin pane, you can see I'm only showing files that matched "conflict" (case insensitive); the first type of problem shows the duplicate and triplicate of the same image, one named with "(Case Conflict)" before, and the other one after, the ".jpg"

In the second pane, I'm in a directory where I've already cleaned up triplicates--manually, by visually making sure the images were actually the same. This is NOT always the case. As noted above, a plethora of devices over the years has yielded files with the same name, but they're actually different images. This is why I think I may be stuck not using a bash script, but visually inspecting each set.

I'm resigned to doing this manually, in Dolphin...but I don't want to. I'd vastly prefer an automated way of doing it. But my brain--which has been both rattled by a craniotomy to remove a brain tumor, and years later ravaged by sepsis--isn't at its best right now. I'd appreciate any and all input on how I might make this task a little less cumbersome.

To summarize:

- various directories contain duplicates or triplicates of the same name
    - examples: dcp_1111.jpg - dcp_1111.JPG - DCP_1111.JPG - dcp_1111 (Case Conflict).jpg - dcp_1111.jpg (Case Conflict)
    - like-named files may or may not actually contain the same image
    - if the dups do contain the same image, I want to delete the one(s) with "(Case Conflict)" added
    - if the dups do not contain the same image, I want to segregate them in a directory where I can later visually inspect them

I'm thinking that an image's EXIF info, and/or its time-stamp and size, could be used to facilitate this. I used to be highly proficient with ImageMagick at the command line. I'm not now. But I'll bet its capabilities plus some bash scripting could do what I need.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

rdfind or fdupes may be useful. See https://www.tecmint.com/find-and-del...iles-in-linux/ Both are installable @here (Neon), so should also be installable for you.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, SH. I just took a look and they look promising. I'll give them a try later today.

Meanwhile, I'm open to hearing other ideas.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

digikam has a duplicate search tool, that goes beyond just file names and sizes. You can have it scan and create fingerprints of images, so it finds dupes by image content as well as size/name, and it even find similar images.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          digikam has a duplicate search tool, that goes beyond just file names and sizes. You can have it scan and create fingerprints of images, so it finds dupes by image content as well as size/name, and it even find similar images.
          Wow, really? digiKam is what I use for dumping and organizing photos from my cameras. I don't think I ever knew it could do anything like this!

Thanks, CD. I'll check it out later today.

Comment

fslint

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              fslint
              Sorry, I just now noticed this. I will...look for it? see what it does? something!

Comment

Working...
              X