This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Multiple and Switchable M.2 NVMe Drives

My current system uses a Kingwin aftermarket HDD power switch to turn on/off 6 drives at my discretion. I use the switches as follows:
    1 - Bootable SSD Kubuntu (current version) (18.04LTS)
    2 - Bootable SSD Kubuntu (old/last used version) (14.04LTS)
    3 - HDD, Kubuntu Data Drive
    4 - Bootable SSD Windoze 7
    5 - HDD, Windoze Data Drive
    6 - Blu-ray, M-Disk compatible Optical Drive

I am searching for a similar hardware solution so I can select one of three M.2 NVMe drives to use before powering on the system. I also have the skill to build such a device if I have to.

I'm currently searching for the PCIe connector pin-outs. With that information, I'm confident that I can switch any of the NVMe drives on or off and if they are all bootable, only the one that gets powered up boots.

There are several obstacles to building such a device. Since the data paths are wide and fast, all connections must be as short as possible and even then may induce noise that could corrupt the data I/O.

I would like to know the community's thoughts and any other obstacles that I have not considered. Thank you.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Likely not in existence, and why would it be? What's the point? Afraid the NSA is going to watch your family videos ?

BTW: GRUB or your BIOS will select boot device without special hardware. If you want to prevent access to other drives, don't mount them.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X