Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, reconsider Plasma 6 in Kubuntu 24.04 LTS

Sorry,
    I know that I am nobody and shouldn't be adding again to a discussion that has already happened and it has been decided... but I beg you to reconsider having Plasma 6 in Kubuntu 24.04 LTS, because I think it is a huge mistake from your side no to have it the way it has been decided.

Here you have some points:

a) KDE 5.27 is not THAT stable. I have Kubuntu 23.10 running in my system and it periodically has errors and things that die and ask me if I want to report them. And that is when using X11. In Wayland, if I am not mistaken, it is even worse. In fact, I would argue that the fallacy is thinking that 5.27 builds on the stability of 5.26 that builds on the stability of 5.25 and so forth. IT DOESN'T WORK THIS WAY! Some versions in the 5th stack are stability driven versions and some other push the boundaries. So you shouldn't decide which version to use BECAUSE of the number, but BECAUSE of the ability to maintain and improve on that version for two years.
    In fact, the case is specially painfull in last iterations of Plasma5, as Wayland introduction has been harder to work with and only in 5.27 wayland experience started to be "not bad". Even with this, 6.0 on wayland may be much more stable and nicer that in 5.27. Not just newer, but more stable, because, at least in 5.25 and 5.26 there were lots of show stoppers.

b) Kubuntu is not Ubuntu. I understand that Ubuntu must make sure that is rock solid being LTS, but that is for its main GUI, which happen to be Gnome's. Nobody is installing Kubuntu in big numbers on servers or so, they install Ubuntu. Canonical responds for Ubuntu.

c) It has been reported that Plasma 6 is VERY stable. So, here again, if KDE 5.27 is not that stable and Plasma 6 is very stable... where is the trade off?

d) Plasma 6 has been MOSTLY TESTED in KDE neon, so over Ubuntu stack. That means that if there is a distro where you can expect Plasma 6 to be stable, that is going to be Ubuntu!!!

e) Once Ubuntu 24.04 is released, we can expect KDE Neon is going to jump to Ubuntu 24.04 as the basis to develop upon. So anything that do not work is fastly going to be solve AGAINST UBUNTU STACK FIRST!

f) There is not too much to be done to make KDE 5.27 run over Ubuntu 24.04, as it already works over 23.10. You could make it the other way around, let people have a PPA with kde5 and most of the work would already be done.

g) You have a month and a half to stabilize things if needed. In fact, if you need more time, we all can wait.

h) It is a well known fact that, if you need Ubuntu/Kubuntu for a critical environment, you shouldn't jump into the wagon of 24.04, BUT into 24.04.01 that will be released sometime in june/july. That gives you still a couple of months more to stabilize whatever needs to be stabilized.

i) IT IS A FALACY that you can wait till 24.10 and then have Kubuntu running Plasma 6. The way Ubuntu works, let the users no option to install interim releases easily. If you jump to 24.10 THEN YOU ARE FORCED to follow that path until 26.04. No matter if a version is stable or not. You could argue... wait until 24.10 if we could be certain that there would be a clear path from 22.10 to 26.04. But if you jump to 22.01, then you are forced to make the jump every 6 months, and if one of the releases is more experimental that others... then you are going to live with that release for at least 6 months, because the livespan of an interim release is 9 months. So jumping to 24.10 means that you will need 25.04 and 25.10 to be stable enough. And that, we don't know.

j) PPA for Plasma6 is a very bad solution. Having to install 900 packages belonging to Plasma5 in order to be able to install other 900 packages of Plasma6... makes no sense at all.

k) Every security flag that appear in Plasma6/QT6/Wayland will have to be ported to Plasma5/QT5/X11. You'll be ALONE in this endeavour, as every distro but Ubuntu will have gone the correct way.That means some errors and security problems will not be backported. And it means that some others, while backported, will break things in Plasma5/QT5/X11 so stability, in the long run, will be worse instead of better. Again, no trade off.

l) NVIDIA drivers, wayland, and apps in general will take profit of what QT6 and Wayland has to offer. That will break things in elder Kubuntu Plasma5/QT5/X11 stack.

m) NVIDIA drivers and STEAM sooner or later will work better in Wayland that in X11. Ubuntu can control what people install in their systems, but we usually install NVIDIA drivers and Steam by ourselves.

Now, is there an alternative?

Sure it is!

You simply have to tweak the KUbuntu installer so, when you install, you are asked if you want to install Plasma5 or Plasma6. That easy! Let people with edge cases install Plasma5 if they want to (it is already working in 23.10 so it shouldn't be a big problem) and let people install Plasma6 if we want to. Put some recommended or experimental flags if you want to.

And then, once you realize that 95% of Kubuntu users install Plasma 6, you can decide where to put your efforts into, maintaining an old code or building on the new one.

Welcome and thank you for your thoughts!

But I really think it is just too late for Plasma 6 to be used for Kubuntu 24.04 LTS (I had used Kubuntu LTS installations on a quite deal of desktop computers in a professional setting in the past, and there the LTS did matter a lot).
    As one could read Plasma 6.x is considered/planned for Kubuntu 24.10

I have tested Plasma 6 for several days now (and the Betas and RCs in the months before): there are still a lot of bugs which I wouldn't want to have on a computer in a production environment (and I am not even speaking about Wayland here)…

And even if this could be a goal (and some of your thoughts sound really interesting): somebody would have to do all the work - I think that is not quite possible with the resources the Kubuntu people presently have at their disposal…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 01, 2024, 08:28 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I am running the latest Neon with Plasma 6 on Virtual Machine Manager, and I can't shut the thing down without forcing it off. It doesn't log out rreboot either. I tried with Wayland but it wouldn't change my screen size (I'm using the Nvidia 470 driver) or shut off either, I've had no trouble whatsoever with 23.10 running Plasma 5.27, and don't mind continuing with 5.27, especially since I have to use Xorg and won't be able to take advantage of the new features in Plasma 6 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
        I can't shut the thing down without forcing it off. It doesn't log out rreboot either.
        Read this thread. The fix to both issues is discussed there.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

LTS releases have LTS Plasma. 6.0.0 is not LTS

Originally posted by epertinez View Post
          Kubuntu is not Ubuntu.
          But it IS. It is not a separate entity, in terms of packaging, resources, and infrastructure.
          Qt updates that may be needed in Plasma would break all the non KDE stuff, including those used by Lubuntu,and even Ubuntu Unity. All parties involved., including Ubuntu proper, would need to agree and work on this as a whole.

Also, Kubuntu, being Ubuntu, has to follow the same deadlines and development cycle freezes as they do.
          Also, LTS releases have LTS Plasma. 6.0.0 is not LTS

PPA for Plasma6 is a very bad solution. Having to install 900 packages belonging to Plasma5 in order to be able to install other 900 packages of Plasma6... makes no sense at all.
          This makes no sense, where are you basing this from? if this is looking at KDE neon, well that has been quite a snafu.
          But also, maybe this is to be able to support both older Plasma 5 stuff? the KDE 4 to Plasma 5 move was quite similar, as was KDE 3 to 4.

It has been reported that Plasma 6 is VERY stable

Have you actually used it? (Don't count neon's busted updates, that has little to do with Plasma 6 itself)
          I have been using it myself daily for quite some, and there ARE issues here and there (aside from the neon-specific stuff)
          it is MOSTLY stable, and good, but....current third party widgets need to be ported over, as do many themes and styles. Applications need reworked, or modified to support KF6 stuff. it is not all there yet. I see crashes in the file picker, and other littler things that will drive some people made (I myself am easy going)

Also, LTS releases have LTS Plasma. 6.0.0 is not LTS

You simply have to tweak the KUbuntu installer so, when you install, you are asked if you want to install Plasma5 or Plasma6. That easy! L
          HAAhahahahahHAhahaHAhahahHAhahahahah!!

BwwwwaaahahahahahHahahAAAHAahahah....catches breath......hehe haha lolz
          (sorry, over the top, I know, could not resist)

The ancient installer is Ubuntu's creation and is the developer, and they haven't updated or really even fixed it much in ages, let alone added features in its long lifespan. if it were easy, Kubuntu would have more options, similar to the Ubuntu installer does.
          Having said that, they may move to calamares, like Lubuntu have. Not that this makes it easier if you don't have many actual software devs around. But a possibility.
          But the real problem is how the *buntu install actually works. The live image is blasted to the drive. To have both Plasma 5 and 6 options, you need two images, the way you want it. or make it download another entire OS image while running the live session. The other way would be (technically) easier - install Plasma 5 and then upgrade it to Plasma 6. But no one would want to have this happening from the live installer. That is asking for many problems, from both the download and the live environment.

Last edited by claydoh; Mar 04, 2024, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
            and I can't shut the thing down without forcing it off. It doesn't log out rreboot either. I
            Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Read this thread. The fix to both issues is discussed there.
            Should be fixed with this morning's updates.

Comment

Also see e.g. Kubuntu: Week 4, Feature Freeze and what comes next.
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

Should be fixed with this morning's updates.
                It was.

Comment

While I'm all for KDE6 I can understand the reasoning of not offering it with 24.04 LTS LTS version are supposed to be fairly stable and it will allow time to get some the worst bugs out of Plasma/KDE verision 6 first.
                  I think the dev's made the right call. If you want cutting edge go with neon. I've tried it and lots of things to like but it's really ruff around the edges yet. Haven't update/upgraded it yet though. Will wait a few weeks and try it again. In any even welcome to the forum.
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Thank you everybody for you thoughts. You convinced me.

Comment

Working...
                    X