Plasma 6 observations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 6 observations

So, just a bit ago, I bit the bullet and upgraded my fully functioning KDE neon User Edition running the last version of Plasma 5, to Plasma 6. Over 900+ packages (400+ upgrade and 400+ newly installed).

After it was all done, I could not Log Out, Restart, or Shut Down from the Desktop (Application Launcher, Application Menu, or Application Dashboard). The icons to do so are present, but clicking on them does nothing. I can do so from a konsole with sudo shutdown -P now (shutdown poweroff) or sudo shutdown -r now (shutdown reboot).

When presented with the SDDM Login Screen, I didn't notice that Plasma (Wayland) is now the default. Logging in with that results in no Desktop, just a totally black screen that nothing works in.

Switching to Plasma (X11) and logging in works. I'm presented with the new Desktop with it's floating Panel. But, the ability to Log Out, Restart, or Shut Down still doesn't work. You can click on the icons, but they don't do anything. Shutting down from Konsole works.

Default Plasma (Wayland) SDDM Login
    Click image for larger version  Name:	1 Default Wayland Login Session in SDDM.png Views:	0 Size:	326.9 KB ID:	677015

Totally black, non-functioning Desktop
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2 After logging in from SDDM with a Wayland Session (Default).png Views:	0 Size:	2.2 KB ID:	677016

Plasma (X11) SDDM Login
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3 Logging in with Plasma (X11) Session.png Views:	0 Size:	327.6 KB ID:	677017

Plasma 6 Desktop
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Plasma 6 Desktop.png Views:	55 Size:	377.8 KB ID:	677019

Info Center
    Click image for larger version  Name:	4 Info Center.png Views:	0 Size:	208.3 KB ID:	677018
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 29, 2024, 10:00 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Hi!

I have just the same problem.

I can restart or shutdown through the terminal (konsole) or "changing user" and shutting down (or restart) from this panel.

But it's impossible to do this from the desktop bar.

I was thinking of this thing. Maybe the problem is the update? Then I decided to reinstall the OS. I'm now running a clean KDE Neon installation, this web version includes the Plasma 6 desktop, and the problem persists.

Someone could help us?

In the other hand, when I power up the system, the time to load desktop is terrifying slow.

Waiting for a solution or an update.

Best regards!

Comment

Originally posted by melonmanolp View Post
      But it's impossible to do this from the desktop bar.
      There are a million posts a on this, and how to fix it quickly

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...977#post676977 (toward the bottom of my post)
      https://discuss.kde.org/t/shutdown-b...kde-neon/11025
      https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=481938

Originally posted by melonmanolp View Post
      , the time to load desktop is terrifying slow.
      Known issue. This *was* happening in neon Testing pre-release git builds (and iirc other distros as well) but was fixed a few days ago, or late last week. I imagine a formal update will come soon.

20 or more seconds sure does feel like an eternity, more than we like to admit

On my virtual machine, I don't get the black splash screen taking forever, just the wallpaper, with the desktop panel taking *ages* to appear.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      When presented with the SDDM Login Screen, I didn't notice that Plasma (Wayland) is now the default. Logging in with that results in no Desktop, just a totally black screen that nothing works in.
      I am sure that this is very likely the virtual video drivers in Viirtualbox, as well as yours is using software rendering (llvmpipe) on top of that.
      I'd heavily recommend people use Virt-manager (KVM/Qemu front end) if it were just a touch more user friendly. I haven't seen this black screen with plasma 6 anywhere using that, but I have seen a LOT of people mention it using Virtualbox. I wonder if there is a usable combo of settings and virtual drivers that work with Plasma?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240229_142426.png
Views:	486
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	677025

I sort of vaguely remember similar issues with virtualization tools during the switch to Plasma 5. Or was that KDE 4?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        I wonder if there is a usable combo of settings and virtual drivers that work with Plasma?
        The Graphics Controller set in the VM is VMSVGA. Anything else in the selection list results in an unusable Desktop; I've tried them all.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-02-29 at 1.29.50 PM.png
Views:	482
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	677027

Plasma (Wayland) simply doesn't work here, nor has it ever.

Comment

The ‘fixes’ given at comment 5 don’t work for me. The fix for KRunner did however.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 01, 2024, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Odd. the files created are in /usr/share/dbus-1/services​ ?
            /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.Shutdown.service
            ​and
            /usr/share/dbus-1/services/
            org.kde.LogoutPrompt.service ?

Comment

Odd. the files created are in /usr/share/dbus-1/services​ ?
              /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.Shutdown.service
              ​and
              /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.LogoutPrompt.service ?
              Yes. And I checked carefully that they were written correctly. I've rebooted twice (from Konsole), and the buttons still don't function.

Comment

I experienced much the same as Snowhog reports. could not using the buttons in the menu log out or reboot machine. Also on wayland session my desktop froze. I'll wait a few weeks and try again.
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Switching to Plasma (X11) and logging in works. I'm presented with the new Desktop with it's floating Panel.
                  How and where to switch to Plasma (X11)? I wonder this may be my issue posted some where else in this Forum. Although my blank screen is lit and has a curser in the center of screen.
                  Thanks!

Comment

In the bottom left corner of the log in screen (sddm) you can choose the session (Plasma X11 or Plasma Wayland).

See Snowhog 's screenshots at the top of this thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...ons#post677014
                    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 29, 2024, 05:46 PM.
                    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Yes. And I checked carefully that they were written correctly. I've rebooted twice (from Konsole), and the buttons still don't function.
                      Odder and curioser and perplexinger.

I am on my 4th update now (one vm), and creating the missing files fixed it.

Some report using the "switch user" option, then trying the shut down/reboot may be another temp workaround. Can't verify this myself.
                      Last edited by claydoh; Feb 29, 2024, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Some report using the "switch user" option, then trying the shut down/reboot may be another temp workaround. Can't verify this myself.
                        I’ll try that to eliminate any possibility it’s something in my user account.

Comment

Created a new Administrator user and rebooted from Konsole. Chose the new user and logged in. Tested the Logout, Restart, and Shutdown icons. Same behavior; they don't work.

What is the KDE/Plasma package that includes these options? I'd like to try reinstalling it.

Comment

SOLVED.

Here is what I originally wrote in /usr/share/dbus-1/services/​org.kde.LogoutPrompt.service​
                            Code:
                            [D-BUS Service]
                            Name=org.kde.LogoutPrompt
                            Exec=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/ksmerver-logout-greeter​
                            And this is the corrected content:
                            Code:
                            [D-BUS Service]
                            Name=org.kde.LogoutPrompt
                            Exec=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexec/ksmserver-logout-greeter​
                            Anyone see the difference? I didn't originally. Never proofread your own work!

Comment

Missing "s" in Exec line - do I get a cake now? I love cake…

Honestly, I understand your frustration - luckily KDE neon has always only been a test installation for me, so I am not dependent on it for neither work nor play.
                              But I am feeling with you and have just begun writing down the most annoying Plasma 6 bugs for me, so I can report them properly sometime…
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 01, 2024, 05:25 AM.
                              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
                              X