[SOLVED] Need help setting up multi-boot with btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I've hit a snag.

I'm re-doing my test system to try out my own tutorial (which has resulted in a substantial rewrite of Phase 3).

The snag is that I chose the KDE desktop for Kali, which supposedly work just fine ( LIES!!!! )

This gives me the opportunity to remove a distro.

Booting back into Kubuntu I tried to delete the Kali installed subvolumes with

sudo btrfs subv delete @

and was harshly rebuked with

ERROR: Could not statfs: No such file or directory.

Google and various forums revealed nothing helpful.

1. Can I just rm -r these things from Live USB? (tried it: YES! sudo rm -rfv @xxx - then back into Kubuntu to wipe out the EFI/kali directory)
    2. What is the correct way via btrfs?

I intend to add this to the write up since it seems important.
    Last edited by TwoFistedJustice; Jul 22, 2023, 03:42 PM. Reason: answered one of two questions

Comment

"Kali's default desktop environment is Xfce." So I assume this is where the main focus of their bug fixing lies (it is based on Debian testing…).

Also on their website one can find a section in their docs about installing Kali on btrfs with snapper (you did't mention this so far in your posts about the btrfs journey, so in case you did not see it): https://www.kali.org/docs/installation/btrfs/
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 22, 2023, 04:01 PM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I followed through my own tutorial and had to suffer the consequences. Now I have a clean working dual boot system with fresh installs of Kubuntu and Kali.

I think the write up is finished or very close to finished.

Is it sticky-worthy?

https://github.com/TwoFistedJustice/...TRFS-and-Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          Feel free to do so (they are more meant for other people than for myself, but it is convenient to have them) - and removing snapd etc. is not irreversible (at least for the stuff that is installed by default), that's what the "reinstall Snap (for release-upgrade)" script is for.
          Programming always has been more a hardship than a joy for me, and I would be glad if you told me something that can be improved (code- or language-wise).
          I'm just learning bash scripting so I may be wrong here since bash is bashed-together language ( thus the name - according to facts I made up ) --- I was reading the script to remove snap and I saw a few places where you used "while true". Since true is always true, that while loop will always run ( plus it's a loop, so it may run infinitely or cause some kind of unforeseen side-effect ) , you may be able to omit the while-do-done bit. If it's a matter of running it at a particular time, you may want to extract it into a function and then call that function. You can also convert it to a if-conditional which is guaranteed to only run once.

Comment

Thank you.
            The "while" loops are running for a purpose: to wait for a specific input (e.g: "Y" or "N"). They are exited when certain things have been done after that input.
            There are several ways to do this in a Bash script, this one seems to be actually quite common, works fine for my purpose and has been syntactically and logically tested lots of times (and as simple as my code is I don't think that there can be any unforeseen side effects). Other solutions I had in mind for this are more complicated to maintain for me.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 30, 2023, 11:42 AM. Reason: typos
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
            X