No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Need help setting up multi-boot with btrfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed all the @ to @kubuntu and all the @home to @kubuntu_home in grub.cfg, fstab, and renamed the subvolumes using mv. I made the entry to 40_custom per oshunluvr's instructions.

On reboot I ended up at the grub> menu.

I poked around a bit in there and found the subvolumes prefixed with / which reminded me of point #4. So I went back and re-edited all the files to add the forward slash.

I ended up again at grub>

It seems the prophecy has come true. All the confusing confusions confused further the already confused.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoFistedJustice View Post
      After renaming my subvolumes @ and @home to @kubuntu and @home_kubuntu, when editing grub.cfg should I be doing something like this?
      and change the last two lines to this:

Code:
      185 │ linux /@kubuntu/boot/vmlinuz-5.19.0-46-generic root=UUID=[MY-UUID] ro rootflags=subvol=@kubuntu quiet splash $vt_handoff
      186 │ initrd /@kubuntu/boot/initrd.img-5.19.0-46-generic
      ​
      That will work till the next kernel update. I suggest
      Code:
      linux /@kubuntu/boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=[MY-UUID] ro rootflags=subvol=@kubuntu quiet splash $vt_handoff
      initrd /@kubuntu/boot/initrd.img
      ​​
      APT maintains links in /boot that point at the latest and next latest kernels and initrd.img.

I presume you're aware that if you've modified the grub.cfg that says "do not edit this file" it will be overwritten by the next update-grub (even if you uninstall grub-efi-amd64). Either put the lines in custom.cfg, or name the file something different (say, my_grub.cfg) and change the /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu.cfg to point to it (assuming no secure boot and a grub that uses it).

When I adopted the independent grub approach I added an entry to get back to the standard grub, which for you would be (untested, naturally):
      Code:
      menuentry 'Advanced options for Ubuntu' {
          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root [MY-UUID]
          set prefix=($root)/@kubuntu/boot/grub
          configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
      }
      ​
      but as it turned out I think I used it once in over 10 years, so now I don't bother. But I always have a bootable USB handy.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

After my first attempt I wiped the drive and started fresh with new EFI, swap, and btrfs partitions.

I've been trying to use oshunluvr's tutorial on multi-booting from a single partition.

I've followed it twice from clean installs and both times I end up stuck at the grub> prompt. The best I've been able to manage from there is to get stuck at the (initramfs) prompt.

I'm guessing that there is something else to do that has either changed since the last update to the tutorial or was omitted, or I just missed something.

I changed:
        • /etc/fstab
        • /boot/grub/grub.cfg
        • /etc/grub.d/40_custom
        • @ => @ku
        • @home => @ku_home

( I used Kate with find and replace for config-file edits, and manually double checked the results )

I've hit the wall of my knowledge and am out of ideas for now.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Some things I noted:
        • At grub> , $prefix is still set with the '@'. Changing it to '@[name]' still gets me stuck at (initramfs).
        • Point 4 in the tutorial is unclear. Are we supposed to add a leading forward slash when we change the name in grub.cfg to '/@somename'? (this is how I interpreted it, but am uncertain if that was what was meant as it's written in the passive tense)

Comment

I've been trying to use oshunluvr's tutorial on multi-booting from a single partition.
          That information was written over ten years ago, so things may have changed. Best to let oshunluvr chime in.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, that write up was 2012!!! Guess I've been here awhile.

As John pointed out, using the actual kernel version means you have to continually update 40_custom unless you use the vmlinuz and initrd.img links instead.

I, as John still does I think, use the grub config menu from each install to avoid having to do any updating to 40_custom at all:
            Code:
            menuentry 'KDE Neon 22.04' --class kdeneon {
            insomd part_gpt
            insmod btrfs
            insmod gzio
            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 5964f1aa-2e8e-48e1-a3e3-f2069bd6217c
            configfile /@KDEneon_2204/boot/grub/grub.cfg
            }

Please Read Me

Comment

Sounds like a typo somewhere. Can you post your edited files? grub.cfg and fstab

Or it might be something to do with EFI as I don't use that.

Please Read Me

Comment

( THIS IS THE ONE WITH THE ANSWER ) ( -- also see post#27 )

WOO HOO! FIXED IT! Now she boots right up!

As oshunluvr speculated, it is in fact something to do with EFI. There is one more file to edit. And like our friend grub.cfg, it is called... wait for it... wait for it... ( dramatic music ) ... grub.cfg !!!!

It's location is /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grub.cfg

Its contents look like this:

Code:
                search.fs_uuid 73ffa900-dca2-47f2-9e0b-f8c1942ef918 root hd0,gpt2
                set prefix=($root)'/@/boot/grub' ## Change this line
                configfile $prefix/grub.cfg
                ​
                in my case, because I named my subvolume "@ku" I changed that line to:
                Code:
                set prefix=($root)'/@ku/boot/grub'

Now there's another part, namely accessing that file. It resides on your EFI partition.

You can use Krusader in root mode.

If you want to access it via a Linux Live doohickey, then you have mount it, as explained by the eminent Rod Smith

I'm going to play with it a little more because when I select 'Kubuntu 22.04' at the grub menu, it just sends me back to the top of the menu and I have to select 'Ubuntu'. I think this has to do with the 40_custom edit. It's a fresh system with absolutely nothing on it. And now that I know how to do it, it will take 5 minutes to replicate.

I have yet to install another distro.

Thanks everyone for your help! Thank you oshunluvr for sharing your cool discovery!

Last edited by TwoFistedJustice; Jul 12, 2023, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Glad you figured it out for yourself. I installed Kubuntu 22.04 into a VM using EFI just so I could check the EFI contents and verify my suspicion.

You beat me to it!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    Glad you figured it out for yourself. I installed Kubuntu 22.04 into a VM using EFI just so I could check the EFI contents and verify my suspicion.

You beat me to it!
                    Gee I hope I didn't end your decades long streak of successfully avoiding EFI! :-)

Anyway, I installed Kali and it took over grub (as expected). I'm going to fiddle around and see if I can break, err I mean, figure it out on my own. If I need help with that I'll start a new thread.

Thanks again for you help!

Comment

Anyway, I installed Kali and it took over grub (as expected). I'm going to fiddle around and see if I can break, err I mean, figure it out on my own. If I need help with that I'll start a new thread.
                      One thing you can usually do to avoid this it to tell the installer to install GRUB to a partition. Then when you reboot, the previous grub is still on the main part of the drive. Also, not a huge deal to boot into the install you want to control grub from and re-run grub-install.

It really depends on how often you expect to install new OSs on your system. If you're doing it more than a couple time a year it might be worth considering having a dedicated grub OS.

Gee I hope I didn't end your decades long streak of successfully avoiding EFI! :-)

LOL, I fiddle with it from time to time. I have a laptop that I left Windows on after I bought it for warranty purposes. I managed to muck up EFI a couple times before I got it doing what I wanted. Part of the problem was earlier versions of KDEneon and Kubuntu didn't identify themselves separately from ubuntu so you couldn't (or at least I couldn't) get both of them to boot on the same computer. Now-a-days both flavors are clearly separate and Windows still boots too.

Please Read Me

Comment

LOL, I fiddle with it from time to time. I have a laptop that I left Windows on after I bought it for warranty purposes. I managed to muck up EFI a couple times before I got it doing what I wanted. ...
                        I've been trying to figure out where Kali sets the prefix variable. Finally figured out it's set in a binary rather than a text file. In my search something reminded me of oshunluvr (bottom of readout screenshot )

oshunluvr mucking about with EFI again

Comment

I now have Kubuntu and Kali dual booting with EFI from the same btrfs partition.

This is the final step after post #22:

Prerequisites and Early Steps:

You've got Kubuntu installed and the subvolumes renamed per above and everything works.

You have a bootable Linux USB stick so you can access the file system of your new distro from outside.

Whenever you need to update grub by run 'sudo grub-mkconfig' then 'sudo update-grub'.

Now you install your second distro to the btrfs partition.

Verify that your new distro works, you should once again have @ and @home subvolumes, plus any others the new distro puts on there. (Kali adds a BUNCH)

Set your grub ownership by booting into your chosen distro and updating grub.

How to Configure The Next Distro

There is one new step. And one omission.

You will NOT need to alter the $prefix variable on the secondary distros because your primary distro controls the boot process and its $prefix should already be altered (post #22).

You will need to find /boot/grub/grub.cfg in the new distro.

Down in the section
                          Code:
                           ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
                          you will find and COPY a menu entry that looks something like this:

Code:
                          menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux' --class kali --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-73f6525c-0f9c-4a23-a91b-d1b46f5079c8' {
                          load_video
                          insmod gzio
                          if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
                          insmod part_gpt
                          insmod btrfs
                          set root='hd0,gpt3'
                          if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
                          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd0,gpt3 --hint-efi=hd0,gpt3 --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt3 73f6525c-0f9c-4a23-a91b-d1b46f5079c8
                          else
                          search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 73f6525c-0f9c-4a23-a91b-d1b46f5079c8
                          fi
                          echo 'Loading Linux 6.1.0-kali9-amd64 ...'
                          linux /@/boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-kali9-amd64 root=UUID=73f6525c-0f9c-4a23-a91b-d1b46f5079c8 ro rootflags=subvol=@ quiet splash
                          echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
                          initrd /@/boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-kali9-amd64
                          }​

Extract that by whatever means you like to your main distro. ( I pasted it into a text file and moved it via usb stick)

Change the three "@" subvolume names down at the bottom to whatever you intend to name your new distro @ subvolume.

[edit] See the next two posts (28, 29) for a syntax refinement for the last two lines in the menu entry. [/edit]

Paste it into the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom in your main distro.

Do everything else for the new distro using the same methods as you did for Kubuntu.

Then update grub in your main distro and you should be golden, or purple, or whatever.

Last edited by TwoFistedJustice; Jul 13, 2023, 02:40 PM.

Comment

linux /@/boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-kali9-amd64
                            I think this was mentioned above, but to reiterate; using a 40_custom entry with the kernel version like this will eventually lead to either not being able to boot to this distro (if this specific kernel is removed) or require editing of 40_custom with every kernel update to amend the version number.

I'm not sure about Kali, but *buntu distros also maintain links to the current and previous kernels as you can see here:
                            Code:
                            stuart@office:/boot$ ll
                            total 407M
                            drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  826 Jul 13 13:17 ./
                            drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  178 Jul 11 07:37 ../
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264K Jun  7 10:23 config-5.19.0-45-generic
                            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264K Jun 21 10:38 config-5.19.0-46-generic
                            drwxr-xr-x 1 root root  132 Jul  1 08:54 grub/
                            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   28 Jun 29 15:55 initrd.img -> initrd.img-5.19.0-46-generic
                            -rw------- 1 root root 122M Jul  3 09:23 initrd.img-5.19.0-45-generic
                            -rw------- 1 root root 122M Jul 11 11:33 initrd.img-5.19.0-46-generic
                            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   28 Jul 13 13:17 initrd.img.old -> initrd.img-5.19.0-45-generic
                            -rw------- 1 root root 6.2M Jun  7 10:23 System.map-5.19.0-45-generic
                            -rw------- 1 root root 6.2M Jun 21 10:38 System.map-5.19.0-46-generic
                            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   25 Jun 29 15:00 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-5.19.0-46-generic
                            -rw------- 1 root root  12M Jun  7 10:23 vmlinuz-5.19.0-45-generic
                            -rw------- 1 root root  12M Jun 21 10:43 vmlinuz-5.19.0-46-generic
                            lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   25 Jul 13 13:16 vmlinuz.old -> vmlinuz-5.19.0-45-generic
                            ​
                            "vmlinuz" points to the latest kernel
                            "vmlinuz.old" points to the previous kernel
                            and same for initrd.img.

So assuming this is the same in Kali as *buntu, you should use this instead of the above in your 40_custom:
                            Code:
                            linux /@kali/boot/vmlinuz
                            initrd /@kali//boot/initrd.img

Alternately, I use this in 40_custom:
                            Code:
                            menuentry 'Kali GNU/Linux' --class kali {
                            insmod part_gpt
                            insmod btrfs
                            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 73f6525c-0f9c-4a23-a91b-d1b46f5079c8
                            configfile /@kali/boot/grub/grub.cfg
                            }
                            Then what you get is nested GRUB menus. If you select "Kali" from your boot menu, you would get a second GRUB menu. Then you can just press Enter or select from the boot menu normally. Pressing "ESC" returns you to the first boot menu. I have 4-5 bootable distros at times and a couple ISOs that I can boot to in this way. I set my GRUB timeouts at 3 secs so the delay isn't significant if I don't press Enter.
                            Last edited by oshunluvr; Jul 13, 2023, 11:31 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

So assuming this is the same in Kali as *buntu, you should use this instead of the above in your 40_custom:
                              Code:
                              linux /@kali/boot/vmlinuz
                              initrd /@kali//boot/initrd.img
                              I tried this out with Kali and it doesn't (quite) work. Kali needs a wildcard character tacked to the end. i.e.
                              Code:
                              linux /@kali/boot/vmlinuz*
                              initrd /@kali//boot/initrd.img*

After setting this up I updated from 6.1 to 6.3, ran uname -r and confirmed that it used 6.3.

[EDIT]

Contents of @kali/boot

drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 644 Jul 14 14:26 .
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 258 Jul 13 15:43 ..
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 258800 May 12 11:20 config-6.1.0-kali9-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 262471 Jun 29 05:05 config-6.3.0-kali1-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 258800 Jul 14 14:11 config-6.4.0-kali1-amd64
                              drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Dec 31 1969 efi
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 106 Jul 13 15:43 grub
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 76430800 Jul 8 18:37 initrd.img-6.1.0-kali9-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 79739435 Jul 13 15:44 initrd.img-6.3.0-kali1-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 76430800 Jul 14 14:11 initrd.img-6.4.0-kali1-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83 May 12 11:20 System.map-6.1.0-kali9-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83 Jun 29 05:05 System.map-6.3.0-kali1-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83 Jul 14 14:12 System.map-6.4.0-kali1-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7976256 May 12 11:20 vmlinuz-6.1.0-kali9-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8983392 Jun 29 05:05 vmlinuz-6.3.0-kali1-amd64
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7976256 Jul 14 14:11 vmlinuz-6.4.0-kali1-amd64

Last edited by TwoFistedJustice; Jul 18, 2023, 10:23 AM. Reason: add requested data

Comment

• oshunluvr
                                oshunluvr commented
                                Editing a comment
                                A look at the contents of /boot would explain why and probably would be beneficial to add to this thread.

I now have Kubuntu and Kali dual booting with EFI from the same btrfs partition.
                              You should combine your posts into one NEW contiguous step-wise explanation on how to set up a multi-boot system from scratch using what you've learned.
                              oshunluvr could then make it sticky.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X