This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uninstalling! How to boot with usb??

Hi there dear Kubuntu lovers. I hate this OS. I want to install it. I have a usb with windows 7, but I can't make it boot with it. It always start up Kubuntu. How do I change this that it should start on my usb-drive so I can install Windows 7 instead

Please help me. Thank you

well first your in the rong place for windows help ,,,,,,,but .

how did you make a Win7 USB ,,,,?

are you asking how to make your box boot a live-USB ?

if so you should have a key to press to get a boot device menu at startup ,,,,someting like F12 or so .

VINNY

O do you have a win7.iso if so it may be better to burn it as a disk image to a DVD and install with that .

VINNY
    Last edited by vinnywright; Oct 11, 2014, 04:05 PM.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

When you installed Kubuntu, did you remove Windows?
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Hi there and thanks for the help. Yes, I deleted Windows.

After clicking F12 I get to the menu but no sign of a boot choice for USB. It looks like this:

Kubuntu
        Advanced options for Kubuntu
        Memory Test
        Memory Test serial console

I found the USB hanging from the holy tree in the Garden of Eden

Comment

Originally posted by Swingkid View Post
          After clicking F12 I get to the menu but no sign of a boot choice for USB. It looks like this:

Kubuntu
          Advanced options for Kubuntu
          Memory Test
          Memory Test serial console
          That's the GRUB menu. I don't use GRUB any more but I think I remember an option to re-scan for other operating systems... any sign of such an option on the menu?

When you installed Kubuntu, did you use a CD or was it a USB drive? I'm trying to figure out whether your BIOS (or EFI if it's a newer laptop) has its boot order set to look for bootable USB drives so you can skip GRUB altogether. Can you remember what you had to do when you were installing Kubuntu?
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Hi there and thanks. No, no such option sadly. Only what I wrote. And that it says grub up above. I was installing Kubuntu from a USB as well. I had to press esc and change the order of boot. But now I can't do it. That's all I need to know now, how to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Swingkid View Post
              Hi there and thanks. No, no such option sadly. Only what I wrote. And that it says grub up above. I was installing Kubuntu from a USB as well. I had to press esc and change the order of boot. But now I can't do it. That's all I need to know now, how to do that.
              you nead to do the same thing you did to get your box to boot the kubuntu USB ,,,,,,this is not a what OS is installed issue but a how dose this box boot a USB issue ,,,,,,,,,,as long as "the holy tree in the Garden of Eden" made the USB of win7 right it should work the same way.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, and it would, but only if I'm able to get into the boot menu and choose to boot from the USB. Which is possible to do in all other OS I've tried, but not this one. How do I get there so I can boot from my USB? Det är det enda. Kanske något program inom Kubuntu eller något i terminalen som gör att jag kan starta den så?

Comment

The first part of the boot sequence, the bit you need to use to change the boot order and specify booting from USB, is nothing to do with Kubuntu: it's controlled by your laptop's firmware.

Usually, you have to hold down shift or F10 or some other key(s) while booting or something to interrupt the boot process before GRUB loads. This is different to the interruption needed to display the GRUB menu, which happens later. It's difficult for us to tell you how to get there becuase the keys you need to press can be different for each laptop.

Try googling your laptop make + "boot order" or something similar to find out which keys to press, and let us know when you have managed to access your firmware settings.
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

how did u make the windows bootable usb? it may not show up as a bootable device if you make it incorrectly. as far as i know you need to use specialized software to correctly make a bootable usb stick for windows . i don't think you can use the usb start up creator todo it but im not sure since i have never tried to make a windows 7 boot stick .
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I think sithlord48 is correct, Win7 would not normally be bootable from a usb drive. Obviously you would need to recreate whatever you did before to get Win7 to boot from usb drive.

Comment

Unbelievable number of responses for a Windows problem on a Linux forum, don't cha think?

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Please Read Me

Comment

i for one would like to hear why OP hates kubuntu so much ? i always find the reasons intresting.
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                          X