Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HW upgrade - dilemma - 32bit or 64bit Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HW upgrade - dilemma - 32bit or 64bit Kubuntu?

Hi,
    I am currently running standard 32bit version of Kubuntu Saucy on a desktop with 2GB RAM. I would like to replace it with a new one - something like i5, 16GB RAM etc. to have enough powerful machine for video editing, graphics etc. (no games).

Some people recommend me to choose 64bit but on the other way I also heard about problems related to multiarch. I am using plenty of various apps from multimedia like KDEnlive, Avidemux, also mapping programs like QGIS, scientific ones like QTIPlot etc. and graphic editors like GIMP and Inkscape. I need to be able to use all of them but not all are available as native 64bit apps. Is there any problem to also run 32bit apps?

I also need to sometimes virtualize my other PC with (also 2GB ram) - probably in Virtualbox - for using Windows specific apps.

I heard about 32bit PAE Support but it looks like 64bit is a better for me. Would appreciate any advice or user experience.

thanks
    Dell Latitude E5510, Intel i3, Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus (LTS)

Go with a 64bit i5 or i7 machine with as much HD space and RAM as you can afford. The multiarch problems are a thing of the past. I'd also recommend Kubuntu 14.04. It's an LTS. I'm running Kubuntu 14.04 ALPHA and I have all sorts of 32 bit apps installed, including Skype out of curiosity, with no problems at all. VirtualBox runs great.

My experience with Kubuntu alphas has been that they are great. The Trusty Tahr alpha is no exception. I like the fact that it uses the latest kernel (3.13.x). I plan to stay with it for the next 5 years. Just stick with the repository as your source of apps and your problems will be minimal and updates usually fix them. Right now, on my Trusty Tahr the problem is FireFox locking up for a short period of time if I make moving mouse clicks in certain situations. Most of the time I patiently wait and let it catch up. One one occasion it crashed, but restarting it returned me to exactly where I was when it crashed.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There's really no reason to run 32bit anymore unless you know of a specific program you must run natively. Even then, any program that out-of-date would likely run the same in a 32bit virtual machine running on your 64bit system.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks guys,
        this is really positive information for me. BTW is it possible to use at least some settings (those .folders from my home directory) from my 32bit machine on the new 64bit?

I do not know - maybe there are some 32bit specific ones... Reason is that I already have well customized system and I do not want to set all the things from scratch again.

I also plan to export a list of installed packages to better remember what I will need to install on the new 64bit machine.
        Dell Latitude E5510, Intel i3, Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus (LTS)

Comment

Originally posted by Juhele View Post
          Thanks guys,
          this is really positive information for me. BTW is it possible to use at least some settings (those .folders from my home directory) from my 32bit machine on the new 64bit?

I do not know - maybe there are some 32bit specific ones... Reason is that I already have well customized system and I do not want to set all the things from scratch again.

There's no harm in using old hidden folders or files that contain config info. I'd install from a LiveCD and let it do its thing. After the install I'd install those programs you want to add, BUT, let them make their new config files without your customizations. Then, rename ~/.somefileorfolder to ~/.somefileorfolder_new and then delete it and copy over your old config file or folder. If your old settings don't match up to the new version of the app (some parameters dropped, modified or added) then you can start culling parameters until the app runs OK, then explore the new parameters to see if you can get back any customization that your lost. More than likely, your old config files and folders will do just fine unless the program warns you. Examples where it won't are like upgrades from KMail to KMail2, etc...
          Last edited by SteveRiley; Feb 15, 2014, 12:27 AM. Reason: fix closing quote tag
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X