This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu Customer Tracking

Just raising the recent concerns with charges of Unbuntu tracking Customer preferences. (privacy invasion ?)
    Will Kubuntu be aligning themselves with this practice?

Here is RMS's view
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DXnfa0H30L4

Originally posted by sqlpython View Post
    Will Kubuntu be aligning themselves with this practice?
    Odd way of wording it, but no. KDE/Kubuntu do not use Unity's Dash and it's components.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Odd way of wording it, but no
      Thanks for your reply.
      Not understanding why you believe the phrasing odd?
      To be clearer, if Kubuntu follows the exact same path (protocol) as Ubuntu in regard to collection of data then I would see that as a procedural alignment.
      How would you perceive such a path?

Thank You

Comment

I thought the phrasing a bit odd because it seems to refer to "Kubuntu" as an entity rather than a collection of software. "Will Kubuntu developers be..." might have seemed less awkward but it's only a case of semantics. I had no trouble understanding what you meant.

Back to the question at hand: As claydoh pointed out, Dash is a feature of Unity and we're using KDE. Maybe more to the point, it's not "Ubuntu" tracking customers, it's "Unity." It's understandable that the question be asked as Kubuntu is based on Ubuntu, but you don't get Unity unless you install and launch it.
        It's my understanding that you can turn this feature off. AFAIK, it's not any worse than Facebook, Microsoft, Google, various Android apps, etc. et. al., that track your interests to focus marketing and other uses.

Please Read Me

Comment

From what I understand, at the moment this is only the Shopping Lens in Unity. This feature can be disabled and the entire lens can be uninstalled. I did read something on the Ubuntu forums about future kernel integration of this feature but I didnt read the whole thread so cant comment much on this.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            I thought the phrasing a bit odd because it seems to refer to "Kubuntu" as an entity rather than a collection of software. "Will Kubuntu developers be..." might have seemed less awkward but it's only a case of semantics. I had no trouble understanding what you meant.
            Yes, it is semantics but I do see your view point.
            I also have been a KDE developer of Desktop apps for years and worked as a developer for.. Klikit linux(defunct) and Currently RevLinuxOS.
            to mention two...
            In my experience we usually refer to the OS entity and the Devs and Support members interchangeable with the Entity name. So, for me the entity reference is natural and reflexive on my part. Sorry, to cause any confusion, No Offense meant.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            I. AFAIK, it's not any worse than Facebook, Microsoft, Google, various Android apps, etc. et. al., that track your interests to focus marketing and other uses.
            IMHO
            And that is more then enough to get me to wretch and get that putrid feeling in my throat.
            I don't won't belong to Namespace, Facebook, Microsoft, and have no online Android apps (except email)
            I am a DuckDuckGo SSL guy.
            I will admit to having a Gmail email. Just to keep people whom I don't want to have direct access to me to use.
            Many people see Twitter, Facebook etc as narcissistic and dangerous especially for the young.
            While it can be fun, I understand, to share people, and Accomplishments. You open yourself and your family to risks beyond fun.
            End of mini rant

However, it is painfully obvious (by the popularity of those services) that I am a minority.... LOL
            Last edited by sqlpython; Feb 25, 2013, 05:13 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
            X