X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip maker Program

with windows i had a trip planner ie rand mcnallys software
    does Linus have a nice GUI like that all i have found was a gnome one i had to build the database for . I know the webs is very solid ie MapQuest and Google. Any ideas?

Re: Trip maker Program

For what it's worth, if you have a Garmin GPS and MapSource software, it will run with wine.
    DeLorme's Topo will not.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I have Delorme's Street Atlas 5.0 6.0 (ya, I know, it's OLD) with a UPS GPS device.
      I've tried to use the GPS device with some Linux software that is similar, but my GPS would never connect, even though the software had a driver for it.

I have XP installed as a guest OS and I may try SA on it.

I can't think of the software right now, but I'll look it up when I get back from shopping.

EDIT: THe software is "gpsdrive". I also installed gpsd and xgps, which is its gui. Neither gpsdriver nor gpsd would recognize my USB Earthmate LT-20 GPS device. I installed Street Atlas in my XP guest OS and the Earthmate LT-20 saw eight satellites from my recliner, something it was never able to do when it ran under Windows installed on the HD.

gpsdrive has improved a lot since I last ran it a couple years ago. This evening I was able to download from OpenMaps the entire USA at 900000 resolution, and my city at 2000. Now, if I could only get it to recognize the LT-20.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thnx everyone

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
          For what it's worth, if you have a Garmin GPS and MapSource software, it will run with wine.
          DeLorme's Topo will not.
          I wonder if Street Atlas 6.0 would run under WINE. I hate to install WINE to find out because I don't like the way it hijacks the media mimes.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I wonder if Street Atlas 6.0 would run under WINE.
            The results from winehq's app database aren't encouraging:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...cation&iId=275

Topo crashes wine while loading the gui. Contact their tech support and mention the "L" word and they hang up faster than I do on, "How are you this evening, sir?"

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
              they hang up faster than I do on, "How are you this evening, sir?"
              You must be slow ... you know all the words in the question!

Comment

I've tried for years to find a good navigation program for linux - no luck so far.

There's a few projects out there that are promising.

I think the issue has been maps - companies pay big bucks to maintain their maps and won't open source them. I know for a fact that some of the currently available portable GPS's run linux.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Please Read Me

Comment

SUCCESS!!

I have found two ways to get a trip map running in Linux.

1) No brainer -- Install XP as a guest OS and run DeLorme's Street Atlas in it. Works great.
                  I tried to run SA 6.0 under WINE in my guest OS of Linux Mint 9 KDE4, but I could never get it to connect to the GPS receiver. Now, I think I can, but since I can run gpsdrive under Linux WITH my Earthmate LT-20 gps reciever and WITHOUT WINE there is no need.

2) Running gpsdrive in Kubuntu 10.4 using gpsd and my Earthmate LT-20 gps receiver.
                  Steps:
                  1) plug the Earthmate into a usb port.
                  2) run "lsusb" to see what it is listed as. Mine was listed like so:
                  jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ lsusb
                  Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                  Bus 007 Device 002: ID 044e:3017 Alps Electric Co., Ltd
                  Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                  Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                  Bus 005 Device 003: ID 1163:0200 DeLorme Publishing, Inc. Earthmate GPS (LT-20, LT-40)
                  Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c526 Logitech, Inc. MX Revolution Cordless Mouse
                  Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                  Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                  Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                  Bus 002 Device 004: ID 054c:0377 Sony Corp.
                  Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                  Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ca:183d Ricoh Co., Ltd
                  Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d
                  3) Identify its connection by id and by path. Mine was
                  /dev/serial/by-id/usb-DeLorme_Publishing_DeLorme_USB_Earthmate-if00-port0
                  /dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.0-usb-0:1:1.0-port0
                  I know. It's a USB device plugged into a usb port, but using "/dev/bus/usb/005/003" didn't work.

4) run the gpsd daemon with the -b option (to prevent talkback to the receiver).
                  gpsd -b /dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000:00:1d.0-usb-0:1:1.0-port0
                  The "by-id" connection didn't work for the gpsd and xgps (which shows a circle with the satellites in them and lists the various ranges and distances) showed nothing. When I switched to the "by-id" connection xgps lite up with green, yellow, red and clear circles, and lots of data.

5) Run gpsdrive. Here's the amazing part. When I started the gpsd with the command above, both the by-id and the by-path devices had a link pointing to /dev/ttyUSB0! /dev/ttyUSB0 is exactly what gpsdrive needs to see!
                  gpsdrive -X /dev/ttyUSB0
                  The "-X" option uses the DBUS for communication and disables the socket method.

That's all there was to it. Now I can use gpsdrive as I would my hand held Garmin G350, except that I will have to have my notebook plugged into my cigarette socket and my wife is the navigator, since putting a notebook computer on the dash in front of the steering wheel isn't the safest way to drive.

I tried "navit", which installed without a menu option. with the gpsd running and xgps showing several connected satelittes navit popped up immediately with a blank screen and a single, small dot surrounded by a small blue circular line. Without an active Earthmate connection no dot or circle shows up. But, navit is poorly written and getting a street atlas map showing is more trouble than I want to undertake.

Now I am off to search for other trip map options!

Comment

GG: One of my future projects is a computer navigation for my RV - I want a 10" touch screen hooked to an on-board computer that will also play videos, music, do the internet...

What about Navit is bad and how is GPSDrive these days

Maybe I should start a new thread...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X