X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data recovery

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if there is any RAID 1 recovery software out in any of the multi-universes?

Re: Data recovery

Please don't be offended if you've already tried this. Google: linux RAID 1 recovery. There seem to be a number of entries that you might find interesting. If you have tried some of these things, please come back and tell us what works and what doesn't.

Comment

I accidentaly shift+deleted one folder from my usb hard disk drive. fortunately i had a backup of backup

but still.. sadden to know that there is not a single good gui recovery tool for (k)ubuntu.
      there is very very good tool which is photorec. but the most annoying problem with that is it does not give the original file names. and the other one being.. it recovers complete partition and not the folder/file on drive.
      Even windoze has a free to use PandoraRecovery which is pretty good data recovery tool.
      I fail to understand why in this 10-20 years of continuous ramp up use of ubuntu.. not a single good data recovery software come up.
      I just saw a kde based gui data recovery software mentioned in howTo of our forum.. but it was last update in 2006!

Just wish there was better software..
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I'm unclear on what your issue is: RAID1 is mirroring, meaning two or more drives/partitions that are mirror copies of each other. Therefore, data recovery is to simply access the data from the drive/partition that is not damaged, usually referred to as "degraded" RAID1. "Recovery" is to remove the failed drive and replace it with another and allow the RAID1 array to be rebuilt.

Unless of course you've lost all members of the RAID1 array or corrupted the data of all members through some means - which is totally different from recovering the RAID1 array.

If you've deleted data by mistake, you need to look into data recovery, not RAID recovery as the RAID1 array did it's job and deleted the files from all members.

Please Read Me

Comment

You do know that windows uses a different file system, right? Recovering deleted files in a FAT system is trivial and I believe the same holds true for NTFS. Linux uses a different file system where you cannot easily recover deleted files because the space is usually overwritten. Flash drives typically use FAT file systems so you can probably use any old "undelete" program which will read the files minus the first letter of the name. I've used undelete on DOS floppy drives many times and it works like a charm. In fact one can afford to be really sloppy in the Microsoft file system world. However, typing del . once too often also taught me not to have a bunch of files with single character names. lol

Comment

apologies.. i should have written specifically what i was looking for.
            i just posted on this thread as Data Recovery was something i was looking for.

This is what i did. i have a USB hard drive some 320GB. This usb hdd have NTFS file system.
            i made major changes to the photos which reside in my laptop pictures folder. i wanted to take backup after my work.
            when i plugged i saw the old pictures folder on my usb hdd. so i shift+deleted that. but just when it was deleted. i remember i had one more folder in pictures folder of usb hdd.
            then i started search for recovery software. i could not find any gui software.

then i connected my usb hdd to windows system of by brother's laptop. ran pandora recovery and other recovery software. but shockingly the files which i had deleted months ago (when i was using xp) were relocatable. but the folder which i deleted using kubuntu where no where to be seen..

i m trying to get rid of using dangerous shift button along with delete
            asus A52N

Comment

kapil: if you're using ntfs you might be better off searching elsewhere, not because no one will help you, just that the majority (or at least many) of us aren't using ntfs - since it's a windows format.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                kapil: if you're using ntfs you might be better off searching elsewhere, not because no one will help you, just that the majority (or at least many) of us aren't using ntfs - since it's a windows format.
                Actually he's probably using FAT. I only have a few flash drives but every single one of them has come with FAT. He could of course have reformatted them.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I just realized that I keep seeing "flash drive" where it says "disk drive". (blush) Oh well, this thread is a mess anyway. It might be a good idea to start one with whatever subject is preferred.

BTW: kapil's post highlights an interesting part about NTFS. You don't actually delete files on it. They are just renamed so the OS doesn't normally see them. I think it's a security feature - just not one a good one. lol Sarcasm aside, what that means is that the "recovery" software is not really anything at all - just looks fancy with a gui and all.

Comment

yes - another windows "Feature" :P

Please Read Me

Comment

...that means is that the "recovery" software is not really anything at all - just looks fancy with a gui and all.
                    True!
                    in fat what 'shift+delete' does is it simply removes the data entry from the table. not so sure about ntfs..but pretty sure it does similar thing as it is possible to recover the data.
                    i am using ntfs on usb hdd. for _single_ reason tht all of my friend use windoze which can not recognise the ext4 format. and i frequently have to share things with them.

but the question remain. why does the files are relocatable if shift+deleted using windows machine.. and not relocatable when shift+deleted using kubuntu. have to see what exactly kubuntu does when shift+deleting files. will do that once i get some time.
                    asus A52N

Comment

Working...
                    X