This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's a good Linux magazine?

I used to subscribe to PCWorld and PCMag. I got a bit tired of them writing about cameras and misc stuff, and not getting down to the nitty gritty of PC systems. And since I've jumped ship on M$ a few years ago, I want to read more about what's going on.

Can any recommend a good Linux magazine?

Re: What's a good Linux magazine?

Which country?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'm about out of the magazine reading business, but a friend likes this one:

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

You can download the pdf version for each issue.

Comment

I enjoy Linux Journal (http://www.linuxjournal.com/) I get the paper version in the mail.

Also need to upgrade my hardware soon and like the articles at http://www.phoronix.com/ online. Not really a magazine, depends on how you define "magazine" I guess.

Ken.
        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Linux Pro Magazine
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I agree with you on PC World. I'm about ready to call it quits with them. And to believe it was them that got me looking at Ubuntu with Warty!

Comment

Found this: http://pclosmag.com/html/Issues/201006/links.html

Comment

+1 for Linux Pro and Ubuntu User

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry for the long delay in responding toad... US

Comment

An excellent PRINTED Linux magazine is LinuxFormat.
                    It also usually includes at least one DVD with a Linux distro and lots of other stuff on it. At Barns & Nobel in my city the mag is on sale for about $16 US.

There was a time when PC Magazine was 200+ pages and filled with ads for most equipment and software that runs with or on Windows. I had never noticed before, but after I moved to Linux it was obvious that PC Mag gave only marginal lip service to Linux, if anything at all. Most Linux article were written by Windows fanbois. But, it gradually dropped to 95 pages or less as the printed magazine lost its influence. PC Mag lost ALL of its influence with me when its editor, Jim Louderback, candidly admitted in his resignation article that he (and obviously PC Mag) had kept silent about the many problems with VISTA so apparent to everyone else. He goes on to list some of them and concludes:
                    I could go on and on about the lack of drivers, the bizarre wake-up rituals, the strange and nonreproducible system quirks, and more. But I won't bore you with the details. The upshot is that even after nine months, Vista just ain't cutting it. I definitely gave Microsoft too much of a free pass on this operating system: I expected it to get the kinks worked out more quickly. Boy, was I fooled! If Microsoft can't get Vista working, I might just do the unthinkable: I might move to Linux.
                    My first thought was, "Ya, you'll move to Linux, now that you don't have to worry about a loss of Microsoft ad revenue cutting your paycheck off if you tell the truth, but money comes above truth or integrity doesn't it.". My second thought was that I am not subscribing to another issue of PC Mag or any other Ziff Davis publication. Even now, if you used PCMag as a guide, you'd think that Linux didn't exist.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I wasted a year or two with pcworld. A buddy was pushing me to maximum pc, but I am not really into all the modding and overclocking. I spent the last five years or so with Computer Power User (CPU). During that time, I made my transition to linux and appreciated the linux coverage albeit rather small. Alex "the saint" john seems to be gone, probably bashing microsoft too much and he was on fire there for a while. He got burned by building his online gaming business around microsofts extended java. Peter Loshin left and took most of the linux presence with him. They created a new column called open sores. The last issue I received had one column condemning the linux terminal window while another praising the windows power shell. I knew I had made the right choice a while back when I decided not to renew. I am looking for a new mag also. I have been leaning toward linux journal. I have purchased a few of them from the book store and some google searches have landed me to a few good linux journal articles. IMHO a lot of linux mags tend to focus toward system admins and not so much to, what I guess, us hobbyist.
                      FKA: tanderson

Comment

The UK has Linux Format, a pretty readable mag. They also have the websites:

www.linuxformat.co.uk - a decent forum there

http://tuxradar.com

The magazine is quite suitable for newcomers although in the latest edition they gave ubuntu 9 out of 10 whilst on the same page giving kubuntu a bit os a bashing. One or two of the contributors have an odd approach in that they hate flash and everything it represents, and look for all ways to avoid it, but don't like anyone criticising Mono. Otherwise it's quite informative and in addition from time to time they bring out starter packs as a separate product.

Comment

Working...
                        X