• Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMware Player 3.1 or VirtualBox?

OK, since we're on the topic:

VMware vs. VirtualBox??

Please Read Me

Re: VMware Player 3.1 or VirtualBox?

I have tried both and use vmaware for years.

Since vmplayer can now install guests, supports 2d & 3d, has great usb, sharing folders is easy and fast, sound is no problem, and the guest system runs overall faster and more stable.

Vmware player 3.1
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I've never used VirtualBox. It's been VMware Player all the way for me.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Same as Snowhog. The only time I tried VBox (couple years ago) I got tangled up in the lack of USB support and ended up reinstalling VMware. I think those who use VBox know how to work with it, and are able to be fully productive with it. I'm just one learning curve short ....

Comment

VirtualBox rules for me. I've had severe stability issues with VMWare, but VirtualBox runs like clockwork. I even use it for some games.

Comment

The latest versions of VirtualBox are way better than even a year ago.

Please Read Me

Comment

I tried VB this spring, setting up an XP guest on Karmic. Even using the free version from the Oracle website I was unable to get the USB ports working. When I switched to Lucid I never reinstalled VB and my XP guest files are now on a USB stick. I doubt that I will ever reinstall XP.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/vir...71/13020?tag=m
                This is actualy about vmware workstation but it applies to vmware player as well.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Decent review. I mostly use vbox for linux clients and testing so I really don't care about 3d. Maybe I'll install win 7 64 bit ultimate on vmware just to see what's up... 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

I initially used VMWare player when I ditched my hard drive winXp install, having first converted the XP installation with VMWare converter.

It ran nicely but had the following drawbacks of being a bit slow (I've only got a humble centrino laptop) and it wasn't possible to shrink the VM hence it took up an enormous amount of HDD space.

The VB installation seems much quicker, and USB works fine but I'm using the non-free version from the oracle repository. The new VMWare player looks interesting, especially if it can be used to install ,which was the main reason I (and I suspect many others) went to VB. Might just take a look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr

Maybe I'll install win 7 64 bit ultimate on vmware just to see what's up... 8)
                      I already tried with Win 7 Pro 64-bit -- it wouldn't believe that my 64-bit Linux with 64-bit VMware Player is "64-bit" -- it puked up a "wrong architecture" error. 32-bit went on OK, though. Let us know if you get a different result.

Comment

I got it to install in Vbox 64bit no problem. It runs a little slow, but OK. I posted a screenie a while back touting it as "Windows 7, the Kubuntu way" lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X