Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mepis going ubuntu" (well...Kubuntu actually)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Mepis going ubuntu" (well...Kubuntu actually)

Originally posted by claydoh
    What I imagine is that Mepis is using Ubuntu as a base, much as Kubuntu is. I don't think we can say Mepis is based on "K"ubuntu, at least not without seeing it first

As we have our own way of doing KDE, and Mepis has their own, they should be able to keep their own personalities for quite a while
    Mepis 6.01 is using the ubuntu-kernel (2.6.15-18-386) and the repositories as a base. And little more. You get a regular root and user account - like before. Pre-configuration is pretty "std. Mepis".
    Mepis 6.01 shares a lot lot of stuff, but it is definitely Mepis. It is far more complete than Kubuntu Dapper (although that's my personal experience). It's not some sort of remastered Kubuntu.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by oblio
      You get a regular root and user account
      How can you turn off the root account, like in ubuntu?

I really like this configuration. Whenever I tried other Linux distrobutions with root accounts, I didn't like it. But, for some reason I like the way ubuntu does it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by nrwilk
        You get a regular root and user account

I really like this configuration. Whenever I tried other Linux distrobutions with root accounts, I didn't like it. But, for some reason I like the way ubuntu does it a lot.
        I don't know how to change that. With me it's just the opposite; I like have separate accounts for root and user. I find it awkward to use my user-pw for jobs that require root-access. Habit, I guess. And, -more importantly- for some K-apps (installed after the initial installation) this 'sudo-thing' is not properly implemented in Kubuntu Dapper. I like it the Mepis way.

Regards, Ko

Comment

I really like this configuration.  Whenever I tried other Linux distrobutions with root accounts, I didn't like it.  But, for some reason I like the way ubuntu does it a lot. 
          This depends a bit on the distribution, but basically:
          1. install and configure sudo (if not yet installed and configured to allow a user or users to run tasks with root privileges)
          2. optional: disable root login
          3. optional: lock root password (this can cause problems if sudo is configured to use root password instead of user password...and it can prevent you from accessing recovery mode)

I find it awkward to use my user-pw for jobs that require root-access. Habit, I guess.
          You can set sudo to ask for a root password (if you have enabled it)...basically just edit the sudoers file by adding 'rootpw' to defaults.

Comment

I too find the sudo thing to be a little awkward, but I think it's just because I'm not used to it. Since I started off with distros that had separate root and user accounts for different tasks, that's just what I'm used to. I'm sure the sudo thing has its advantages too and it would probably grow on me if I used Kubuntu more.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle

This depends a bit on the distribution, but basically:
              1. install and configure sudo (if not yet installed and configured to allow a user or users to run tasks with root privileges)
              2. optional: disable root login
              3. optional: lock root password (this can cause problems if sudo is configured to use root password instead of user password...and it can prevent you from accessing recovery mode)
              Thanks, I guess I just thought it would be more involved than this. This is just about what I had in mind.

Comment

I have it installed now.

I must say the 1st impression is good and its faster then kubuntu.

You install it from a sort of livecd, the installer is very nice to see its in a config center, if everything is installed you can change things in there. Only problem i had at install was that i needed to format my /home dir, probably overlooked something.

It installs without many questions and install is between 15 to 45 min.

Installed you see a very nice looking grub version, and a loading splash that is very very nice, kubuntu needs something like that to.

The kicker menu has many many programs in it, to my feeling to many, but you can uninstall them .

They use kubuntu's system settings, with a different networkin config, that one is working much better then kubuntu. I installed it on a laptop and i had to tweak my pcmcia wirelesscard to get it working, but it seems like they have many firmware preinstalled for other cards like bmc43xx. Couldn't test it so not sure about it. Need to test wep an wpa still, so no info about that yet.

It comes with the option to install a firewall and it has a viruskiller installed, i think its a must have even if linux is save, but you never know and if you have a windows partition its easy to scan it to.

The kde is better tweaked with little things like the kicker bar its much better filled but somethings are to much like that fish thing, the system button has many option under it and its better then the kubuntu version.

So my first impression is good only thing i dislike is that it has to many programs installed.

If they could filter this it can be a pro kde distro better then kubuntu is atm. Maybe i update this post when i have used it more then 1 day.

When both go live i will choose the winner that stay's on my laptop.

Comment

One thing's for sure. Mepis has the better name.

I dunno about ubuntu's name. It's fine when typed, but when you say it out loud, it sounds a bit funky and it doesn't roll off the tongue naturally. Anyone else have that same feeling?

Comment

One thing's for sure. Mepis has the better name.

I dunno about ubuntu's name. It's fine when typed, but when you say it out loud, it sounds a bit funky and it doesn't roll off the tongue naturally. Anyone else have that same feeling?
                    So true
                    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Re: &quot;Mepis going ubuntu&quot; (well...Kubuntu actually)

I kinda dislike the KDE defaults in Mepis myself, but I am kinda partial to Kubuntu's theme/layout/etc. I know these things are easily changed, but that is one less thing for me to fiddle with.

Mepis is in a close tie for second place (with PCLos) in my fave distros list.

Comment

Originally posted by a_hippie
                        kubuntu daper went on first. I do not like the partitioner tool, please give option for cfdisk for users like me! Smiley I ended up stopping the first attempt and used knoppix 4.0 with cfdisk to partition the empty 200gb sata drive the way I wanted it.
                        The text based install of kubuntu is quite simple... if you have questions about the partitioner, i (or multiple others) can help answer them (it is quite simple once you understand the basics).

The system package manager was kind of borked (adept?) but I really like the taskbar notification. I think this tool is going to be wonderful once the bugs are ringed out.
                        Adept what?... oh, the default package manager in kubuntu, I had forgotten... since i install synaptic immediately after an install. Just uncomment the apt sources in /etc/apt/sources.list and type "sudo apt-get update" then "apt-get install synaptic" and forget about it.

Still my end goal is completely supported hardware (can live without nvidia if x can do good 2d) and a long support period. . . So I can go either way at tihs point, either mepis or kubuntu.
                        Why not go with kubuntu, here is an url to a wonderful how-to for installing the latest nvidia drivers for (k)ubuntu:
                        http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...driver+install

Did i mention this was great how-to? Oh, i guess i did, sorry eh.

Give kubuntu a chance, you may have to configure a few more things then mepis, but in the end you will be happier for it.
                        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I used Mepis before Kubuntu about a year ago.
                          Sorry, was not keen on it. When installed it felt like I had installed someone elses configuration/desktop. I found it very difficult to set it how I wanted it & found there was not much help for the new linux user.
                          Then I tried Kubuntu, Hoary & loved it, been using Kubuntu since & love it more on every release. great job people!
                          I had installed a few distros before Mepis, some I liked, some I did not.

Comment

Hey Smurf,

I have had a similar experience with Mepis. I really liked it at first and then when I needed some help it could not be found.

Then I found the *buntus! WOW it was (and is) wonderful!! The way the Operating Systems work is a dream. These forums are a work of art!

Now, I just tried one of the Mepis betas... I do like the Installer loading from the live CD, but that is about it. The system loaded my NIC, and got an address, but I couldn't browse the Internet or ping out. Something, maybe the firewall was letting traffic in but not out. I looked for some info on their forum and found nothing. So, I am back to say buntu is better!!

Comment

OH! Oh, and I can hardly wait for the 6.06 buntu release! It sounds like it is gonna be AWESOME!!!

ricnmar

Comment

Working...
                              X