Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Mepis going ubuntu" (well...Kubuntu actually)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Mepis going ubuntu" (well...Kubuntu actually)

Hi,

As a long term Mepis-user (fairly new to recent Kubuntu Dapper Drake testversions) I am curious how the news that Warren Woodford (maker of Mepis) has released a testversion of Mepis 6.0 based on the (K)ubuntu kernel and the combined (K)Ubuntu + Mepis repositories has been received in the Kubuntu-community ?

http://www.mepis.org/node/9454

Regards,

Re: "Mepis going ubuntu" (well...Kubuntu actually)

Hi there, oblio, welcome to Kubuntu!

I like Mepis a lot, I have it installed on one of my partitions. I don't think it'll replace Kubuntu, though. I use these and the other forums too much, and the Mepis forums are terrible. :P (No offense, I just find these forums amazingly good for a beginner to linux. I wouldn't have gotten as far as I am now as quickly as I have if not for the exceeding helpfulness of these forums.)

I actually had no idea that Mepis was now being based somewhat on Kubuntu and using Kubuntu's repositories. I think it's a very cool idea. I was just asking the other day on ubuntuforums.org how Mepis using Debian's repositories limited how it can grow to be it's own distrobution ( If that does limit it ). What do you think about it?

Welcome again! I hope Kubuntu treats you well.

Comment

I was just asking the other day on ubuntuforums.org how Mepis using Debian's repositories limited how it can grow to be it's own distrobution ( If that does limit it ). What do you think about it?
      Well, since the Debian repositories are by far the largest in the OS-world, I don't see how that ever could pose a limit to the growth of Mepis (Debian-based). In fact, (K)ubuntu is based on a regular snapshot of only a fairly small portion of those same Debian repos ....:-).
      Can you enable the debian repositories and use their packages (let's say in sid and experimental) without major problems on Kubuntu Dapper ? I don't think so.

Nevertheless:
      I like Kubuntu 6.04 Dapper Flight 5. But it is nowhere as near as complete and well-preconfigured like Mepis and adept is still too buggy to be of any use. Kubuntu may learn more from Mepis than the other way around in terms of userfriendliness and pre-configuration.... On the other side: Mepis-users may benefit from the stable (K)ubuntu-repos (after Dapper is released).

My guess is that Mepis and (K)ubuntu working together may be very beneficial to both of their user-communities.

Regards,

Comment

Well, there has been talk since last month about MEPIS going to be based on Ubuntu (it was even in one of the Linux.com articles, I think), so it didn't come as a surprise to me when a beta version was released. I just didn't expect it to be soon.

But anyway, I posted this on that other thread almost asking the same question, so I'll probably repeat it here.

I think it's good that MEPIS and Ubuntu are working together now. MEPIS is a pure KDE distro, while Kubuntu is only a small project compared to the larger Ubuntu. As such, we are in need of quite some help. This is, I think, a start of a beautiful relationship between two Debian-based KDE distros.

Also, I don't think that MEPIS or Kubuntu will lose their identity in the process (unless one or the other completely merges... I hope not). While MEPIS and Kubuntu share many similarities on the technical/software level, they differ very much in philosophy. For one, Ubuntu does not include propriety software/codecs/plugins by default. And it has made a promise to remain free forever.

But anyway, welcome to all you MEPISlovers out there!!
        Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by oblio
          Well, since the Debian repositories are by far the largest in the OS-world, I don't see how that ever could pose a limit to the growth of Mepis (Debian-based). In fact, (K)ubuntu is based on a regular snapshot of only a fairly small portion of those same Debian repos ....:-). Can you enable the debian repositories and use their packages (let's say in sid and experimental) without major problems on Kubuntu Dapper ? I don't think so.
          Right, that was basically my question. Because ubuntu cannot use the debian repositories (for a reason unknown to me), does using the repository of a certain distribution limit another distrobution's choices for how it can grow and be structured. I guess what it then comes down to is this:

Is the reason that you cannot use Debian repositories in ubuntu because of some fundamental difference in architecture that has occured since ubuntu split from Debian? Or, is it simply because the packages in the ubuntu repositories have been checked and are known to work in ubuntu. I currently (in my ignorance) lean towards the first explanation, because I've seen threads where very knowledgable people professed that using debian repositories endangers the integrity of your install.

Have any feedback on this? Does a distro which splits from another distro at a certain point lose it's similarity to the original? I guess that depends on the intentions of the developers and designers. So, now the question is will ubuntu and Mepis ever reach that point, and how close are they to doing that?

So, this is where my original question comes from. Not that I believed there was any shortage of software in Debian's repositories, but because I thought that it may be possible for even a derivitive distrobution to eventually no longer be able to use the same packages. Now that I say this, and think about it myself, though, it seems more and more unlikely that the ubuntu devs have changed the method of packaging a deb from the method that debian uses. Well, maybe I just worked it out for myself. hehehe

I like Kubuntu 6.04 Dapper Flight 5. But it is nowhere as near as complete and well-preconfigured like Mepis and adept is still too buggy to be of any use. Kubuntu may learn more from Mepis than the other way around in terms of userfriendliness and pre-configuration.... On the other side: Mepis-users may benefit from the stable (K)ubuntu-repos (after Dapper is released).
          The reason why it isn't so complete, at least with multimedia software is because of the ubuntu commitment:
          Ubuntu is entirely committed to the principles of free software development; we encourage people to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.
          so, they do not include any proprietary software. You can install it later on. But I think this is a really good thing, and I agree with their decision on the subject. One can install it later on, but that's the choice of the user.

Can you explain how Mepis is more refined at install? I really like it, and I've yet to have the chance to chat with a Mepis user. I want to check it out more and get down and gritty with it. So, give us the speech and talk it up! I'm really into learning as much as I can about the Linux environment, which to me means learning many distrobutions so that I can see all aspects and interpretations of it.

My guess is that Mepis and (K)ubuntu working together may be very beneficial to both of their user-communities.
          Absolutely. I can't agree more. So far, I've like these two distrobutions most. I like using both very much.
          I think Mepis users and Kubuntu users can teach each other loads!

Comment

Well, it's not true that you absolutely can't use Debian .debs in Ubuntu. It's just that there might be some dependency problems later on. Case in point: I wanted to install the GIMP 2.2.10 in ubuntu (the repos only had 2.2.8). Debian had the .deb for that but needed more recent libs. In my ignorance I downloaded all the necessary dependencies and upgraded the libs and installed the GIMP 2.2.10. However, when the time came for me to install some other apps, it wouldn't because the app needed a lower/older version of the libraries I just upgraded. Nevertheless, it's completely possible to use Debian .debs. Just not advisable since it has not been completely tested to run in Ubuntu and play nice with all the other apps.

Please, stay away from Adept! at least for now.

Perhaps MEPIS is more refined at installing because the Live CD and installer is in one CD, something that Ubuntu is trying to do now (but not yet ready).
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato

Please, stay away from Adept! at least for now.

Perhaps MEPIS is more refined at installing because the Live CD and installer is in one CD, something that Ubuntu is trying to do now (but not yet ready).
              It's true, I have also installed debian debs. But, I was successful. I dunno what it was that I installed.

Also, I was also meaning to say that Adept is terrible! Download and use synaptic. I'd rather deal with the ugly GTK decoration than deal with Adept.

ALSO, I think what he meant was that he likes how Mepis is setup by default after install. Or, did you mean the method of install, oblio?

Comment

I'm an avid Mepis user and have been for nearly two years now and I am really anxious to see how this will turn out. I love Mepis and I like (K)ubuntu even though I don't have much experience with it. I think this project would benefit both of us and make both distros even better. As soon as I get a bigger hard drive, I'll be dual booting between Mepis and Kubuntu.

Comment

Mepis basically only change the app pool, Mepis will stay mepis as it is it doesn't going to change thing they where doing i think. I have read some post on mepis forums about people hating ubuntu because things i can't understand. Ubuntu was not stable it couldn't recognize hardware proper.

I have installed the kubuntu dapper now on 7 different PC's and 2 laptops and almost everything worked out of the box. Only had trouble with wireless usb and pcmcia. dapper is still underconstuction but already stable in much parts. And bug hunt is started now if I'm right and no new things will be implented.

I think we as kubuntu can learn much more from mepis, it is a kde based distro with more experience then kubuntu . And i will keep a eye on mepis it may turn me over to there side, if they ever get a nice looking site and a much better forum :P. Maybe it will steal more kubuntu users then mepis lose it to kubuntu.

Btw you have a download link to the test version can't find it on there download links.

Comment

Originally posted by awakatanka
                    Mepis basically only change the app pool, Mepis will stay mepis as it is it doesn't going to change thing they where doing i think. I have read some post on mepis forums about people hating ubuntu because things i can't understand. Ubuntu was not stable it couldn't recognize hardware proper.

I have installed the kubuntu dapper now on 7 different PC's and 2 laptops and almost everything worked out of the box. Only had trouble with wireless usb and pcmcia. dapper is still underconstuction but already stable in much parts. And bug hunt is started now if I'm right and no new things will be implented.

I think we as kubuntu can learn much more from mepis, it is a kde based distro with more experience then kubuntu . And i will keep a eye on mepis it may turn me over to there side, if they ever get a nice looking site and a much better forum :P. Maybe it will steal more kubuntu users then mepis lose it to kubuntu.

Btw you have a download link to the test version can't find it on there download links.
                    Mepis Forum: take a look at the forum at www.mepislovers.org .
                    It's decidedly better (and better looking) than the official Mepis Forum at www.mepis.org

Testversion: currently theis testversion is only available to Mepis subscribers (people who financially support Mepis) via the Mepis ftp-server. I am not sure if and when it will be available through the mirrorsite. Currently this testversion acts and looks like Mepis 3.4-3 although it has the (K)ubuntu kernel 2.6.15-18-386 under the hood and uses the (K)ubuntu repositories (+ the Mepis repo). And with user + root account, as always....:-) I think we may see some newer Mepis testversion -publicly available- before there will be a release (right after Dapper is released I presume).

Regards,

Comment

thxs for the info and i will surely try out that public version.

Hope that the unhappy mepis users will be happy after they have given it a real try.

Comment

I'm not really into beta testing, but I'd be willing to give the Mepis/Kubuntu mix a try once a stable candidate is publicly released.

Comment

Originally posted by axel_2078
                          I'm not really into beta testing, but I'd be willing to give the Mepis/Kubuntu mix a try once a stable candidate is publicly released.
                          I subscribed and downloaded Mepis 6.0-1 testversion. It certainly looks, feels and acts like the Mepis I know and not like Kubuntu. It is just a bit more refined than the current Mepis 3.4-3 release, more complete and better preconfigured when compared to Kubuntu Dapper Flight 5. I like it. And Kubuntu Dapper Flight 5 - after having been properly extended and updated.

Regards, Ko

Comment

What an odd experience so far. . .

Greetings all:

I am now using mepis (rc3 updated) at the moment. My quest began a few weeks ago when I started to realize how old my fantastic Libranet system is. No more security updates since I don't want to break a very stable system highlighted the need to find a stable replacement. Libranet was rock solid and support exceeded my expectations (both paid and volunter forum). So decided I would look around and see what distro I would use as a Libranet replacement:

kubuntu first choice, kanotix second choice, pure debian third choice.

Not wanting to risk my system, I bought a barebones intell system with sata drive and nvidia wizbang video.

kubuntu daper went on first. I do not like the partitioner tool, please give option for cfdisk for users like me! I ended up stopping the first attempt and used knoppix 4.0 with cfdisk to partition the empty 200gb sata drive the way I wanted it. The system package manager was kind of borked (adept?) but I really like the taskbar notification. I think this tool is going to be wonderful once the bugs are ringed out. The video was bad, slow . . glxgears nearly locked the system. media support is iffy to poor, but I guess I can add packages later. sudo this/that gets old, I added a root password and fix it. Still, I need more time with the distro and am looking forward to next beta.

kantotix would begin to boot, but then tell me it couldn't find the cd it booted from . . :|

Pure debian (with new netinst) failed with the same error as kanotix. Trouble is, kanotix ran amazingly well on my AMD system. . . Hope they can find that bug and squish it.

I then found mepis. The version I downloaded was an rc3 and I didn't pay attention that there was an rc4 available. Still, it booted up and the install went very well. packages were updated then I booted into this system. Sound works, video fully supported, and the nifty taskbar weather icon is neat! There are problems, kmix won't control sound correctly, but aumix does (love console tools). Some older apps I liked don't seem available (like aviplay). I think it is an amazing distro with tons of promise.

Still my end goal is completely supported hardware (can live without nvidia if x can do good 2d) and a long support period. . . So I can go either way at tihs point, either mepis or kubuntu. Now that they may be working closer, it seems like our community pathways might have fewer potholes to look out for!

I also agree the mepis forums are horrible. Hope they find a good web person to clean it up.

I am new to this forum, so I don't yet know how good it is an solving issues or doing beta testing on the OS. Time will tell. . .

Good reading from you all.

regards,

--<br />wishing you well

Comment

Re: &quot;Mepis going ubuntu&quot; (well...Kubuntu actually)

What I imagine is that Mepis is using Ubuntu as a base, much as Kubuntu is. I don't think we can say Mepis is based on "K"ubuntu, at least not without seeing it first

As we have our own way of doing KDE, and Mepis has their own, they should be able to keep their own personalities for quite a while

Comment

Working...
                              X