How to detect USB devices plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to detect USB devices plugged in

The automatic notifier, which signals when for instance a new USB disk has been plugged in, works very erratically for me. In particular, it does not detect CDs entered into my external USB CD drive. There is no USB device symbol shown on the system tray. Is there a way to mount a CD in a device manually, without waiting for the notifier? In which case, how do I know which device is the CD drive, with a name like /dev/sr0?

I have tried it with VLC, but either I chose the wrong drive (/dev/sr0) or something else does not work.

Alternatively, is there a way to "fix" the automatic notifier?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

A quick search brought up several sites showing the commands. For example https://linuxconfig.org/howto-mount-usb-drive-in-linux
    Last edited by Fred47; Sep 07, 2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I missed that one because I thought it was only talking about the mount command and my problem preceded the use of that.

THanks.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Problem is, fdisk -l gives a long list of stuff and it's impossible for me to know what is what. There are a lot of entries like

Disk /dev/loop6: 66.56 MiB, 69795840 bytes, 136320 sectors

which I do not understand at all. All I see different in lsusb is the following entry:

Bus 005 Device 003: ID 13fd:1040 Initio Corporation INIC-1511L PATA Bridge

​I'm trying to use an external USB CD reader, which works just fine on my wife's WIndows 10 machine. Needless to say, I have no Windows system on my computer.

I do have an internal CD/DVD reader. When I put a CD in there, the drive makes some noises, but Kubuntu remains silent without apparently detecting anything. Very annoying.

Last edited by joneall; Nov 13, 2023, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Did you try if you get more information with e.g. lsblk -e7 -f? (the -e7 suppresses snapd's loop devices)

Hm, when I insert an audio CD in my internal drive a message pops up in Plasma and I can see it in the system tray…
          The CD is also shown in the "removable devices" section in Dolphin
          Unfortunately I don't have an external USB CD/DVD player to test this.

What kind of CD are you trying to access?
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 13, 2023, 01:24 PM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
            Disk /dev/loop6: 66.56 MiB, 69795840 bytes, 136320 sectors
            Those are all SNAP application mounts. SNAP does a crappy job of cleaning up its mounts!
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Actually, I have an internal CD drive and that is not detected either. Seems to be a CD reader problem, whatever that can mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
                Did you try if you get more information with e.g. lsblk -e7 -f? (the -e7 suppresses snapd's loop devices)

Hm, when I insert an audio CD in my internal drive a message pops up in Plasma and I can see it in the system tray…
                The CD is also shown in the "removable devices" section in Dolphin
                Unfortunately I don't have an external USB CD/DVD player to test this.

What kind of CD are you trying to access?
                I used to get the popup message too, but not for months now. The CD in question is an ordinary audio CD. It ought to work for DVDs too, tho.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have a Blu-Ray CD/RW drive in an external enclosure attached to my desktop PC via USB 3.0. Inserting a disc results is the expected notification and pop-up message and it appears in Dolphin.

Frankly, it sounds like a hardware issue OR some past upgrade bug is the problem..

Please Read Me

Comment

I wonder if a Live USB session would show different results.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      I wonder if a Live USB session would show different results.
                      Good idea, thanks! I tried it, but the result is the same. None of the three systems detects an internal PCI or an external USB CD/DVD reader. All three detect external USB disk drives. I don't understand how it could be hardware, in that case. Any more thoughts?

Comment

[…] None of the three systems detects an internal PCI or an external USB CD/DVD reader. […]
                        The internal CD/DVD drive is probably connected to SATA if it is a more or less modern computer.
                        Any chance to quickly swap it for another internal one to test if the spare one works?

Has the internal CD/DVD drive ever worked or is it a brand new machine and you are testing this for the first time? Specifications of the computer could be helpful in that case, too.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Well the next thing I would do is install and boot to an older kernel. You said "several months" since you got the pop-up so go back that far. This will probably require some research to figure out what version to install. You could also just move back a series, like if you're using 5.19 go back to 5.15. It almost sounds like a module is missing so UDEV can't do it's job.

Also I looked back at your first post and one question was left unanswered: If you have more than one CD-ROM drive they would be /dev/sr0, /dev/sr1. etc. I suspect that issuing an eject command would reveal which is sr0.

/usr/bin/eject -T

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. The eject command works fine for the internal CD/DVD drive. I only have one in ternal drive, which is /dev/sr0, as shown by eject -T /dev/sr0. It knows the drive is there, but does not detect when there is a CD in it.

When I plug in the external USB drive, I hear a buzz in my speakers. The eject command works on that drive too (/dev/sr1).

I can put a CD in the external drive, then open disc /dev/sr1 with VLC and I get the music. I can also watch a movie on a DVD on the external drive by picking that disc with VLC. It doesn't work with the internal drive tho.

I don't see how it can be only hardware. Maybe the internal drive has a h/w pb, tho.

Thing is, when I insert a medium, I never get a message from the prompter. Is there some software module which manages that and which I can remove and then re-install? Or reconfigure.

Comment

[…] Is there some software module which manages that and which I can remove and then re-install? Or reconfigure.
                              The only thing I can think of in the GUI is -> System Settings -> Hardware -> Removable Storage -> Device Actions
                              Perhaps also -> System Settings -> Personalization -> Applications -> File Associations.

Or it is some corrupt cache or settings file in your $HOME

But I am just guessing now.
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 19, 2023, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X