This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Thinking out loud about new partition scheme

Maybe this may be a bit of an ambitious undertaking for me but I don't use Windows 10 for anything except to check the Lenovo Tools for firmware updates. Perhaps it's time to rid myself of the Windows partitions and free up more space for Linux now that the warranty has expired on the machine.

Right now the layout is like this:

NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
    sda 8:0 0 931.5G 0 disk
    ├─sda1 8:1 0 128M 0 part
    └─sda2 8:2 0 931.4G 0 part /home
    sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom
    nvme0n1 259:0 0 238.5G 0 disk
    ├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 260M 0 part /boot/efi
    ├─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 16M 0 part
    ├─nvme0n1p3 259:3 0 178.6G 0 part
    ├─nvme0n1p4 259:4 0 1000M 0 part
    └─nvme0n1p5 259:5 0 58.6G 0 part /

On the NVMe drive I think I want to rid myself of the three Windows partitions and just have:

/boot/efi
    /
    /home

I'd move all my hidden files from /home that resides on sda2 to the new /home partition, delete sda1 and resize sda2 to take up the whole disk and mount it as /data or something similar and symlink Docs, Pics, Music etc., to new /home.

Perhaps a fresh install of Neon is the easiest way to sort out the NVMe drive. I do have plenty of time on my hands during the State of Emergency!

I'll give it some more thought... Plenty of time...
    Constant change is here to stay!

Couple of thoughts:

"Resizing" is very time consuming and occasionally catastrophic. I'd suggest moving the data and re-partitioning instead.

If you were at all interested in transitioning to BTRFS, this would be the time. Your operating system and home on the same partition, snapshots/rollbacks, easy backups, etc.

Since you have a large HD, I would reserve 20-30 MB GB for a "playground" where you can install alternate distros or try out the newest Kubuntu on bare metal without messing up your current install.

Finally, if you are a user or play with virtual machines, a separate VM partition on the HD might be nice also.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; May 19, 2021, 06:15 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Since you have a large HD, I would reserve 20-30 MB for a "playground" where you can install alternate distros or try out the newest Kubuntu on bare metal without messing up your current install.
      "20-30 MB". Did you mean GB?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        "20-30 MB". Did you mean GB?
        Oops! Fixed it, thanks!

Please Read Me

Comment

My second PC came with a 20Mb HDD...

I have a rubbish Lenovo B50-30 laptop that I use for testing so I don't need to play with other distros on my main machine...

No wonder the boss hated it, the keyboard is atrocious... The screen too...

Still thinking... Will report back!

Comment

Of course I second what Oshunluvr said about BTRFS.
            1) Backing up cannot be any easier
            2) Restoring from an accident, failed experiment, bad upgrade or HD failure is just minutes away
            3) Personally, I would never consider a distro that did not give me BTRFS as an option for the root fs.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Switching filesystems would be stepping into the unknown for me �� I've always used EXT4 (and probably EXT3 before that) and long before those I used HPFS (different system)

I'll see how I feel.

Comment

Working...
              X