This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    Uh, yeah, no. I've been using KDEneon since it was KDEneon and I always use apt. I still hate Discover and pkcon is unnecessary in my world.
    Big Thumbs Up on that!

Comment

What I'm wondering is if it's safe to remove Ksysguard and its components? I don't see the point of having two similar utilities wasting space!
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        It most certainly does use apt.

Pkcon is the commandline tool for PackageKit, which in turn uses the system's native tools to do the work. Which is apt/dpkg on Debian-like systems.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
        That makes sense. I wonder why the Neon Devs are so adamant about using pkcon over apt?
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Uh, yeah, no. I've been using KDEneon since it was KDEneon and I always use apt. I still hate Discover and pkcon is unnecessary in my world.
          Discover certainly was a gnarly beast of incompetence in it's earlier days. But as of the last few major releases of KDE, I don't think I'd ever go back to the terminal for updates. This is because Discover has the added benefit of also updating Snaps and Flatpaks, as well as the binary standard files and apps. Additionally, it also handles firmware updates, and now even updates most anything you have on your system from the KDE Store as well, thanks to it's KGetNewStuff integration. Brilliant. OFC different strokes for...

Also, in 5.22, it will do unattended updates as well, for those who want such a thing.
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
            That makes sense. I wonder why the Neon Devs are so adamant about using pkcon over apt?
            Adamant I am not so sure about. Maybe a little. And very much so from users not familiar with Debian-like systems. Imnsho.

As to why, mainly it was because many people were updating in the Debian fashion (apt upgrade) instead of the correct one for *buntu (apt full-upgrade) and were not getting all updates, even som issues installing software due to mixed library versions and the like because of it.

Neon did go as far as to move and replace them upgrade command with some text about it.

Code:
            dohbuoy@flex15:~$ sudo apt upgrade
            On KDE neon you should use `pkcon update` to install updates.
            If you absolutely must use apt you do have to use dist-upgrade or full-upgrade in place of the upgrade command.
            https://neon.kde.org/faq#command-to-update
            Abort.
            Ok maybe a bit adamant [emoji3]

At least pkcon works wherever packagekit does so is distro agnostic.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the answer as to why might be there in the message. Too many people don't understand the difference between "apt upgrade" and "apt full-upgrade" aka "apt-get dist-upgrade". Frankly IMO those switches were poorly labeled. I've seen many posts over the years from confused users of those cli inputs. When you add in "do-release-upgrade" there's often another layer of confusion.

Please Read Me

Comment

Agreed. It is Debian's fault They didn't design apt for use in a more fluid type of distro so much.
                But luckily, the differences between the current upgrade and full-upgrade are less drastic than the old apt-get's upgrade and dist-upgrade

Comment

Working...
                X