This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDEneon upgrade available

I got my desktop notification that the upgrade to KDEneon 20.04 was available!

It came through at 11:58 EDT today. Snapshot and upgrade happening very soon!

I'll report on my experience.

Please Read Me

That's great news. I saw this notification also. Will wait for a bit of feedback, since I know there were issues prior, and this is a production machine.

Still, very exiting!
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I am having dep problems post-upgrade with ksysguard, I have not figure out what just yet.

Well, scratch that, It is from the custom mesa PPA I have, the breakage seems to be from libsensors related packages, which don't seem to like the leftover Mesa/ACO stuff

Re-enabling the PPA and updating the Mesa stuff to seems to have fixed the issue.

This is of course purely related to my custom setup, if I had as usual re-enabled my more important PPAs I would never have noticed this, it only popped up because I tried updating directly after the post-upgrade reboot, without looking at my PPAs first.

Also I don't remember why I have so darned many PPAs, or what some of them are for

Comment

***First - Clay, I had some broken mesa packages too. It appears the oibaf updated graphics drivers are not compatible with neon. If you are using the oibaf ppa, purge it. I will try it again somewhat later.***

Now to the upgrade;

Took the better part of an hour as 2700+ packages got updated. Had some package issues related to the oibaf ppa as I mentioned above. Once I purged it, all the conflicts went away. GIMP broke also because I was using a special ppa for that too. The focal version of gimp is newer and I purged that PPA also, which fixed that problem. I had about 15 other various PPAs which I had to manually re-enable and in most cases they worked fine and have focal versions. Only one or two didn't.

Almost everything seems to be working OK so far.

The Network indicator in systray shows I'm off-line even though I am not, but I'm not using Network Manager so I'm not really sure if this is a change or if I just hadn't noticed it. I have ipv6 disabled in netplan but it still shows in ifconfig which I find odd, but probably not related to the upgrade.

Looks like 6 or 7 configuration files were replaced, mostly related to apparmor. I did have to add back my swap adjustments to /etc/sysctl.conf so I went ahead and disabled ipv6 there also. Since I took a snapshot just before I upgraded I can easily go back and see what was changed.

The few applications I've used so far seem to open a bit quicker. Mostly, it's the same.

Please Read Me

Comment

Clay, I was gonna say that I didn't have any problem with ksysguard but I discovered it was removed during the upgrade. I re-installed it and it seems fine. Odd though, that it was removed and not replaced. Maybe something to do with one of the ppa conflicts.

Please Read Me

Comment

Getting this now though. Not sure if this is right:

Code:
            stuart@office:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ lsb_release -a
            No LSB modules are available.
            Distributor ID: Neon
            Description:    KDE neon User Edition 5.19
            Release:        20.04
            Codename:       focal
            I guess it is :

Code:
            stuart@office:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat /subvol/snapshots/@KDEneon1804_save/etc/lsb-release
            DISTRIB_ID=neon
            DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
            DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
            DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="KDE neon User Edition 5.15"

stuart@office:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat /etc/lsb-release
            DISTRIB_ID=neon
            DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
            DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
            DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="KDE neon User Edition 5.19"

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              ***First - Clay, I had some broken mesa packages too. It appears the oibaf updated graphics drivers are not compatible with neon. If you are using the oibaf ppa, purge it. I will try it again somewhat later.***
              I am using the Mesa ACO PPA https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco
              https://steamcommunity.com/games/221...34609636894200

No issues during the upgrade itself, with nothing that look odd being removed, and no errors. I had only a couple of config files replaced, one was bluetooth related, as I have to edit a setting to get my bt mouse to connect at login on my PC. Effing realtek wifi/bt lack-of-support lol. Actually on that I need to check if my card has support in the current kernel, I have to build the module every kernel upgrade (dkms ftw).

After rebooting and finding an update notification already is where the package conflict arose. Or was discovered, rather.

Comment

I just discovered one application - synergy - was removed during the upgrade. I wonder why, but I just re-installed it and it's fine.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Getting this now though. Not sure if this is right:

Code:
                  stuart@office:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ lsb_release -a
                  No LSB modules are available.
                  Distributor ID: Neon
                  Description:    KDE neon User Edition 5.19
                  Release:        20.04
                  Codename:       focal
                  I guess it is :

Code:
                  stuart@office:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat /subvol/snapshots/@KDEneon1804_save/etc/lsb-release
                  DISTRIB_ID=neon
                  DISTRIB_RELEASE=18.04
                  DISTRIB_CODENAME=bionic
                  DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="KDE neon User Edition 5.15"

stuart@office:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat /etc/lsb-release
                  DISTRIB_ID=neon
                  DISTRIB_RELEASE=20.04
                  DISTRIB_CODENAME=focal
                  DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="KDE neon User Edition 5.19"
                  Well, they should probably capitalize 'neon' in the description maybe. I am surprised any grammer nazi's have not noticed this. Unless it is intentional.
                  I don''t see anything wrong with the lsb info for Focal, it normally shows the current Plasma version in the description field.

Comment

I discovered hplip is not compatible with 20.04 (Kubuntu or neon) but my HP 8720 all-in-one works anyway. I haven't dug further into it yet, I just can't use hp-systray. The printer section in systray works OK and I can print and scan.

It also removed "simple-scan" and I had to re-install that also. I might reboot into neon 18.04 and do a dpkg list dump and compare it to neon 20.04 to see what else is missing.

Please Read Me

Comment

btrfs-progs is not installed.

"hspell" not installed and caused kate / kwrite error message
                      Last edited by oshunluvr; Aug 11, 2020, 11:01 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Upgraded my KDE Neon 5.19.4 to version 20.04 yesterday at 4:00 pm. It took 40 minutes to complete and all went very smooth without any glitches. All working fine so far. Thanks to the developers for such a nice job in not requiring to have to go through the hassle of using an ISO. Well Done!

Comment

Did a clean install on a brand new HP laptop I bought a couple of months ago and I couldn't be happier! The 20.04 base works perfect with the Intel Optane memory, it's really fast! Keeping Kubuntu on my daily driver, HP desktop but could not resist putting KDE Neon on the laptop.

Comment

Methinks upgrades are not going that well, lots of people can't even start the process due to PPA conflicts (I am guessing)
                            Something lower down is blocking the neon-desktop meta-package, one if its dependencies or a chain of them.
                            A lack of a more broad set of systems being tested beforehand?. I imagine it should be fixable, as I don't see the same issues on normal *buntus so much. Having many PPAs did not seem to have a huge effect on the 16.04-18.04 migration.

Also, people have the wildest repo lists.
                            One user has Artful repos in their Neon system, though for a third party IDE. Plus a huge number of commented lines for wine repos, going back at least to Artful.

Comment

My update turned off all my added PPAs but it was the graphics drivers from a PPA that were the problem. I suspect it would be nearly impossible to test all the possible combos.

As far as people that have repos enabled and unchecked since 2017? Well shame on them. Can't really blame the devs for that.

However, it does put a very fine point on why, sometimes at least if not often, one is better off doing a new install rather than piling dist-upgrades on top of dist-upgrades.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X