Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nvidia xorg.conf configuration - incorrect?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[XORG] nvidia xorg.conf configuration - incorrect?

KDE Neon 5.17.2
    5.0.0-36-lowlatency
    Nvidia GT 630 Driver: nvidia-driver-440
    Multiscreen setup (2x 22", 1x 15")

I use breeze dark ... with default nouveau driver the theme is shown dark, but when I use the nvidia driver with an xorg.conf it's shown as light gray.
    Presumably there are some faulty options in my xorg.conf, does anyone have an idea?

Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier     "Layout0"
       Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
       InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
       InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
       Option         "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
       Load           "dbe"
       Load           "extmod"
       Load           "type1"
       Load           "freetype"
       Load           "glx"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier     "Mouse0"
       Driver         "mouse"
       Option         "Protocol" "auto"
       Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
       Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
       Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier     "Keyboard0"
       Driver         "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier     "Monitor0"
       VendorName     "Unknown"
       ModelName      "Acer K242HL"
       HorizSync       30.0 - 80.0
       VertRefresh     55.0 - 76.0
    EndSection

Section "Device"
       Identifier     "Device0"
       Driver         "nvidia"
       VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
       BoardName      "GeForce GT 630"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier     "Screen0"
       Device         "Device0"
       Monitor        "Monitor0"
       DefaultDepth    24
       Option         "Stereo" "0"
       Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-0"
       Option         "metamodes" "DVI-D-0: 1440x900 +0+768 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On}, VGA-0: nvidia-auto-select +40+0, HDMI-0: 1440x900 +1440+768"
       Option         "SLI" "Off"
       Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
       Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
       SubSection     "Display"
           Depth       24
       EndSubSection
    EndSection

The file looks normal. You might Want to check some things like which compositor is used, as well as the Blur desktop effect settings, and maybe the one for contrast.
    I know that the Blur effect can change the look of the panel etc, it sometimes did for me when I used an Nvidia card.

The nouveau driver is not using the gpu compositor at all (xrender, which is software rendering), and thus not using opengl, which is why I theorize it is one of the effects as the open driver doesn't support all of them iirc.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Claydoh makes a salient point - the compositer may be the issue. Why not turn off all effects and see if that changes something.

You might consider not using an xorg.conf at all. I'm guessing a hold over from the old days? Not really needed anymore and if you want special user settings, the new way to do it is to have /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with a file in it for each section of the old xorg.conf. For system settings the root location is /usr/share/xorg.conf.d/. In there you will see some files, one of which may be over-riding your xorg.conf or at least effecting your settings, not highly likely though.

Xorg these days is much better at detecting and setting things without user configuration.

Please Read Me

Comment

You might want to open Nvidia Settings and make sure the color range is set to FULL and not LIMITED also. You can adjust color there too. Some Nvidia drivers have had issues with HDMI and color.

I also just noticed you're using the low-latency kernel. You might consider booting to the generic kernel and looking at it again. Could be something in the LL kernel is turned off effecting your video. If you don't need the low latency kernel for professional audio work, you should stick with generic.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Nov 14, 2019, 10:06 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

thanks, that helped! I have also deleted the .nv folder from my home folder after a reboot it looks much better
          everything else works amazing & very stable ... the current Neon status is excellent!

Comment

Originally posted by cluster View Post
            thanks, that helped! I have also deleted the .nv folder from my home folder after a reboot it looks much better
            everything else works amazing & very stable ... the current Neon status is excellent!
            I hate to nag, but which thing or things helped? Just so the next person who comes along might find an easy answer...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I hate to nag, but which thing or things helped? Just so the next person who comes along might find an easy answer...
              it seems that a missconfiguration of compositor & nividia-settings causes the issue

Comment

Working...
              X