• Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Neon died blk scrn poss intellect puzzle

Hi
    well, this is a first.
    KDE Neon 5.16.5
    stops with a black screen showing the following with NO BLINKING CURSOR

[39.736492] brcmsmac bcma0:1” brcms-ops-bss-info-changed: qos enabled: false (implement)
    [39.736581] brcmsmac bcma0:1: brcms_ops_config: change power-save mode: false (implement)

So, I keep my data on an external device so I have not "lost anything".

Because I needed one particular item that was "updated" from the external device...darn it... it WOULD happen! I popped in another HD with an earlier version of Neon and plugged in the ABOVE as a secondary drive and everything is there, the hard drive itself is functional, and I got the file.

I CAN, of course, get all the settings, etc, and the few oddments dragged to an external device but I'd just a soon not reinstall if I do not have to.

I cannot get ANY of the normal fixes to work since the cursor is nonfuntional.

The keyboard is nonfunctional.

However, the mouse does work! :0

searching the net using the upper line as a search term there are posts going back in 2005 that it could be a broadcom issue. The computer itself does have a wireless card onboard, it MAY be broadcom.
    But there was also an ancillary discussion that it was the "gdm3" or gnome display manger which as been replaced for Kubu by "lightdm"

Whether the information above is relevant probably is of little use in that the keyboard is nonfunctional.

Oh and the keyboard DOES work, lol.

I GUESS that it "MIGHT" be possible for me to work FROM the working hard drive TO the drive in question with it as a secondary drive and TRY to EDIT a line in the drive IF I could maybe get superuser privileges.

IF that would be possible I would need to be given CLEAR STEP BY STEP instructions as to what to do to become superuser for THAT drive and the PARTICULAR place and lines to change or whatever.

THAT might be a very neat intellectual problem for someone!

So, if there are any suggestions, I would be appreciative.

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 08, 2019, 11:57 PM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Can you boot to safe mode?

Seems unlikely that a bad network card/driver would stop the boot process. It's possible that the wireless messages are valid and appear as they should, but the NEXT thing that's supposed to happen isn't.

I would want review bootlog and syslog to see what process is stopping the boot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi oshunluver
      Thanks for the reply.
      No I could not boot into anything, and that was also using all the ctrl-codes.

So, I bit the bullet and copied what few files were one it to an external device and d/ld the latest Kubu and installed it.
      The two lines that were posted above appear temporarily in the opening of Kubu and then go away, so yeah, it must have been some kind of, dunno..."bug" that did not allow the rest of the OS to load en train.
      Thanks again for the reply!
      woody
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X