This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Disable the Windows Key Popping up Launcher

Most graphic professionals switch the Alt key to the Windows/Meta key to free it up for their software.

However I still use the Meta key for all the window management (ie. resize move etc)... though I can't seem to find how to stop the Applications Launcher from popping up when I press the Windows/Meta Key.

ps. I'm running the KDE Neon 18.04

Have you tried:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181105_165540.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	644041

Here, I have the WIN key as my meta key. If I press and hold it and then press another key, the menu doesn't open. It only opens if I press and release the win key.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have the Win key mapped as Meta through classic KDE way inside the WindowsBehavior>WindowsActions>ModifierKey setting. I didn't realize there was another way to do that through the keyboard layout. But I still don't see how to disable the Win/meta key from popping up the Applications launcher.

But like you said it works fine as long as I press the Win/Meta key with another button. However there are so many times when my hand is hovering over the alt key to move around inside the graphics program and I accidentally hit the Win/Meta key.

Comment

You can try this oneliner:
        Code:
        kwriteconfig5 --file kwinrc --group ModifierOnlyShortcuts --key Meta ""
        (it writes a config key in ~/.config/kwinrc that should prevent the meta key from opening the launcher...you may need to re-login into plasma for this to take effect. )

Comment

That worked perfectly! Thank you so much you are a life saver!

ps. for the sake of leanring what does it mean to be a part of the modifier only shortcut group? I tried reading an article about how it was ported from wayland but It wasn't clear to me.

Comment

Originally posted by wrender View Post
            ps. for the sake of leanring what does it mean to be a part of the modifier only shortcut group? I tried reading an article about how it was ported from wayland but It wasn't clear to me.
            It's just the way config key are organized in kde config files:
            [Group]
            Key1=Value1
            Key2=Value2
            Haven't checked kwin source code for this, but I assume it sets a default value for a modifier only shortcut for the Meta modifier key (that opens the launcher menu), and that default can be overridden by setting the "Meta" key value to empty ("") in the [ModifierOnlyShortcuts] group in user kwinrc, which it what the command I posted does. It basically adds the following snippet to the ~/.config/kwinrc file (or modifies it if the group/key/value already exists):
            [ModifierOnlyShortcuts]
            Meta=""
            Of course, many of the config keys can be changed with GUI settings, but seems to be one of the "hidden" config keys that aren't represented in GUI settings.
            Last edited by kubicle; Nov 07, 2018, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              You can try this oneliner:
              Code:
              kwriteconfig5 --file kwinrc --group ModifierOnlyShortcuts --key Meta ""
              (it writes a config key in ~/.config/kwinrc that should prevent the meta key from opening the launcher...you may need to re-login into plasma for this to take effect. )
              There's an alternative to re-login here:
              Code:
              qdbus org.kde.KWin /KWin reconfigure
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Interesting. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                X