Login screen broken in Plasma 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Login screen broken in Plasma 6

Yesterday, I installed the latest updates. I then went to eat dinner. When I got back, the screen was black with a message something like "login screen saver broken" and some instructions about what to do. I was a double idiot because (1) I did not note or photograph the exact message, and (2) I supposed a reboot would fix it. Wrong.

Now when I boot that system, all I get is a black screen. My cursor works on it, but there is nothing to click on. No, I did not think to check with the cursor at screen edge or corners. Fortunately, I have another system -- which I will NOT upgrade until this is fixed.

I remember the message involved using alt-del-F2 and an instruction to run, but alt-del-F2 has absolutely no effect for me. There are a number of folks with similar problems like this or this, but I don't really find a solution among them. Several problems on this forum involve plasma 5, not 6.

Short of reinstalling the system, what can I do now?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

I booted this morning to a black screen and a mouse cursor in KDE Neon, fully updated!

I needed my PC so installed Mint Cinnamon for the time being!
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
      I booted this morning to a black screen and a mouse cursor in KDE Neon, fully updated!

I needed my PC so installed Mint Cinnamon for the time being!
      Was there not accompanying message, as in my case?
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Everything okay here. Just booted to KDE neon User Edition with no issues:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	163.8 KB ID:	678152
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Updating now. Will see how it behaves after a restart.

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
          libclang-cpp14 libclang1-14 libllvm14 libqalculate22
          Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
          The following NEW packages will be installed:
          libclang-cpp15 libclang1-15 libqalculate23 linux-headers-6.5.0-27-generic linux-hwe-6.5-headers-6.5.0-27 linux-image-6.5.0-27-generic linux-modules-6.5.0-27-generic linux-modules-extra-6.5.0-27-generic
          The following packages have been kept back:
          python3-update-manager
          The following packages will be upgraded:
          breeze breeze-cursor-theme breeze5 bsdextrautils bsdutils distro-release-notifier eject fdisk firefox frameworkintegration fwupd kaccounts5-integration kactivitymanagerd kde-nomodeset kde-style-breeze kde-style-breeze5 kdeconnect kf6-frameworkintegration kf6-kdeclarative
          kf6-kguiaddons kf6-ki18n kf6-kiconthemes kf6-kio kf6-kirigami kf6-kirigami-addons kf6-kirigami2 kf6-krunner kf6-kwindowsystem kf6-kxmlgui kf6-qqc2-desktop-style kio-extras kio-extras5 kio-extras5-data kpackagelauncherqml kwayland-integration kwin-common kwin-data
          kwin-style-breeze kwin-wayland kwin-x11 layer-shell-qt libblkid1 libfdisk1 libfwupd2 libkcolorpicker-qt6-0 libkf5declarative-data libkf5declarative5 libkf5guiaddons-bin libkf5guiaddons-data libkf5guiaddons5 libkf5i18n-data libkf5i18n5 libkf5iconthemes-bin libkf5iconthemes-data
          libkf5iconthemes5 libkf5kirigami2-5 libkf5quickaddons5 libkf5style5 libkf5xmlgui-bin libkf5xmlgui-data libkf5xmlgui5 libkimageannotator-qt6-0 libkpipewire6 libkpipewirerecord6 liblayershellqtinterface6 libmount1 libnspr4 libnss3 libpolkit-qt5-1-1 libqaccessibilityclient-qt6-0
          libqalculate-data libqca-qt6-2 libqca-qt6-2-plugins libqcoro6dbus0 libqt5core5a libqt5dbus5 libqt5designer5 libqt5feedback5 libqt5gui5 libqt5help5 libqt5hunspellinputmethod5 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5network5 libqt5positioning5 libqt5printsupport5 libqt5qml5 libqt5qmlmodels5
          libqt5qmlworkerscript5 libqt5quick5 libqt5quickcontrols2-5 libqt5quicktemplates2-5 libqt5sql5 libqt5sql5-sqlite libqt5svg5 libqt5test5 libqt5texttospeech5 libqt5virtualkeyboard5 libqt5waylandclient5 libqt5waylandcompositor5 libqt5webchannel5 libqt5webengine-data libqt5webengine5
          libqt5webenginecore5 libqt5widgets5 libqt5x11extras5 libqt5xml5 libqt5xmlpatterns5 libqt6core6 libqt6gui6 libqt6sql6-sqlite libsmartcols1 libuuid1 linux-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-headers-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-image-generic-hwe-22.04 linux-libc-dev mount phonon4qt5-backend-vlc
          phonon4qt6-backend-vlc plasma-integration plasma-integration5 plasma-workspace plasma-workspace-wayland python3-pyqt5 qml-module-org-kde-kcm qml-module-org-kde-kirigami2 qml-module-org-kde-kquickcontrolsaddons qml-module-org-kde-qqc2desktopstyle
          qml-module-qt-labs-folderlistmodel qml-module-qt-labs-settings qml-module-qtgraphicaleffects qml-module-qtqml qml-module-qtqml-models2 qml-module-qtquick-controls2 qml-module-qtquick-dialogs qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-localstorage
          qml-module-qtquick-privatewidgets qml-module-qtquick-templates2 qml-module-qtquick-virtualkeyboard qml-module-qtquick-window2 qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel qml-module-qtquick2 qml6-module-org-kde-kirigami2 qml6-module-org-kde-kquickcontrolsaddons qml6-module-org-kde-pipewire
          qml6-module-org-kde-qqc2desktopstyle qml6-module-qt-labs-folderlistmodel qml6-module-qt-labs-platform qml6-module-qt-labs-qmlmodels qml6-module-qt-labs-settings qml6-module-qt5compat-graphicaleffects qml6-module-qtqml qml6-module-qtqml-models qml6-module-qtquick
          qml6-module-qtquick-controls qml6-module-qtquick-dialogs qml6-module-qtquick-layouts qml6-module-qtquick-particles qml6-module-qtquick-templates qml6-module-qtquick-window qt5-gtk-platformtheme qt5-image-formats-plugins qt5-phonon qt5-phonon-backend-vlc qt6-5compat qt6-base
          qt6-charts qt6-declarative qt6-gtk-platformtheme qt6-multimedia qt6-phonon qt6-phonon-backend-vlc qt6-positioning qt6-qpa-plugins qt6-quick3d qt6-quicktimeline qt6-sensors qt6-serialport qt6-shadertools qt6-speech qt6-svg qt6-tools qt6-translations qt6-translations-l10n
          qt6-virtualkeyboard qt6-wayland qt6-webchannel qt6-webengine qt6-webview qtspeech5-speechd-plugin qttranslations5-l10n qtvirtualkeyboard-plugin qtwayland5 rfkill sddm sddm-theme-breeze sddm-theme-maya util-linux uuid-runtime xdg-user-dirs xserver-common xserver-xorg-core
          xserver-xorg-legacy
          204 upgraded, 8 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Comment

Working fine after a restart, except I have no sound. Sound isn't muted. Applicable Plasma Workspace Notifications marked and tested. No sound.

This issue was posted about in a separate thread, and resolved. Had my volume turned all the way down in the Host PC (my iMac).
            Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 17, 2024, 06:25 AM.

Comment

No message, just a black screen and a mouse pointer. At least the pointer was the correct one!

Comment

I had the same thing and just entered terminal mode, run apt update && apt full-upgrade and rebooted.

All good now.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  I had the same thing and just entered terminal mode, run apt update && apt full-upgrade and rebooted.

All good now.
                  How do I enter terminal mode? If it's the alt-del-F2 trick, that does not work for me. I never get a login screen, just the black screen with the message. If I do it now, the message is not there, but the black screen is.

Comment

CRTL-Alt-F3

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      CRTL-Alt-F3

After insisting several times on the ctl-alt-F3, i managed to login and that did the trick. Wonder what the problem was. An incomplete set of updates?

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post

After insisting several times on the ctl-alt-F3, i managed to login and that did the trick. Wonder what the problem was. An incomplete set of updates?
                        In my case it sure was, so I think that's the answer. My system updates itself at 5:30am. When I started using it around 8 a couple things weren't right - like Dolphin didn't respond, etc., so I rebooted and got the black screen and mouse cursor. I immediately did the second update and rebooted and all is well.

Please Read Me

Comment

In my case installing any Japanese Input Method (ibus-anthy, fctix-mozc, fcitx5) hangs the Plasma 6 desktop after the login screen!

Just a black screen and a mouse pointer.

Comment

Working...
                          X