• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Desktop

Fully updated KDE Neon 6.0.3

Running X11

Shutdown normal last night.

This morning the PC boots to the login screen normally. Login and the KDE gear icon turns for much
    longer than it normally does. Eventually mouse pointer appears and that's all it does.

I purged the Kisak PPA from a Terminal to no avail.

Stumped!
    Constant change is here to stay!

I saw this too. Try logging into TTY mode then re-running update and reboot.

CTRL-Alt-F3
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    reboot

Please Read Me

Comment

I may wait for this before a reinstall:

KDE Frameworks 6.1 Released Ahead of the KDE Plasma 6.1 Desktop Environment

https://9to5linux.com/kde-frameworks...op-environment

Comment

At the moment the Frameworks 6.1 update is not available for KDE neon yet - "only" the Gear update to 24.02.2 and the Qt update to 6.7.0 are.
        Perhaps later today or they wait until the Plasma 6.0.4 update next week?

I hope it will solve your problem!
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 13, 2024, 02:30 AM.
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I'm away for a night tomorrow and will be busy when I get back so I'm in no hurry!

Comment

Weirdness...

I reinstalled the system, got it updated and installed all my apps and it was fine.

I then installed fcitx-mozc for Japanese Input Method and on reboot it died!

Removed the IM and rebooted and all was fine!

I then tried the old ibus-anthy for IM. On reboot the OS died!

I removed ibus-anthy and all was fine again.

I then tried the newer fcitx5 and on reboot... Yep, dead!

Obviously, Plasma 6 KDE Neon doesn't like Japanese IM!

I have the choice of going back to Mint so I can get Japanese IM or just sticking to my native language but have a pretty desktop!

I'm sticking with Plasma 6, it's so gorgeous! I don't need Japanese input method!​ Well, I do but I don't care!
            Last edited by Beerislife; Apr 15, 2024, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately KDE 6 has some growing pains and a great deal of Programs have not yet been ported to plasma 6 yet. I have a couple here that also won't work but for one found a work around for the other not yet. Good luck.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Japanese input with fcitx-mozc was working fine before a recent update, now just having it installed hangs the desktop!

Comment

Did you try if this also happens in Kubuntu 22.04.4 (perhaps in a VM first)?
                  Then it would have nothing to do with Plasma/Frameworks/Qt but with an Ubuntu update (and possibly could also effect Mint 21.x)…
                  Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 17, 2024, 06:08 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                  install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

fcitx on a fully updated Mint 21.3 machine is working fine!

Comment

So it's probably KDE neon + Plasma 6 then (did you try Kubuntu 22.04.4?). But you cannot be the only one with this problem, can you? Perhaps file a bug report for neon?

Comment

It went wonky after I installed the "fcitx-frontend-qt6" package. I *think* now even without that package it hangs after login!

Comment

I just tried to run X-Plane and nothing happened so ran it from Konsole and got a libgtk2 missing error!

I installed the missing library and things were back to normal. I've never had to do this with Neon before!
                          X-Plane has always worked!

I wonder what else isn't installed and is causing problems with Japanese IM?

Comment

Working...
                          X