No Desktop Icons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Desktop Icons

As title. If I copy or move files or folders to the desktop they are invisible! If I open Dolphin and navigate
    to the Desktop they are there. Is this a bug? Or am I missing a brain-cell?
    Attached Files
    Constant change is here to stay!

Right click on your desktop and select "Configure Desktop and Wallpaper..."

The first option is "Layout"

"Desktop" layout does not show the desktop icons, only widgets.

"Folder view" displays the contents of your Desktop folder as icons.

Most if not all applications can be displayed as a widget in Desktop layout but files AFAIK cannot.

IMO, using "Desktop" layout and adding a "Folder View" widget is a more modern and cleaner approach than the "Folder View" layout which is more reminiscent of the older MS Windows style desktop.

Please Read Me

Comment

Here's mine:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20240402_101823.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	677867

Please Read Me

Comment

Ya, Desktop is nicer too, but KDE is phasing it out/combining

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=450326
        and
        https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...op/-/issues/68

You already can hide a lot of the excess context menus, for example.
        I actually stopped using Desktop layout about the time of my comment, having used it exclusively since the very first day I used KDE 4 mid 2008 (well before Kubuntu 8.10)

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        a more modern and cleaner approach
        Good lord, I don't know who decides what is modern, but all the recent b***crap tiling craze makes me wonder what exactly *is* modern anymore.
        I mean, who the heck wants all their windows open alda time, shrinking and shifting as you open more?
        Oh, yeah, Arch (btw) users, most of 'em. , after they graduated from Kali

Comment

• oshunluvr
          oshunluvr commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL< I meant modern as opposed to old windows desktop style, but I see your point!

• claydoh
          claydoh commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          OL< I meant modern as opposed to old windows desktop style, but I see your point!
          Ya, I am having a bad week, and went a bit overboard. THEN my rent went up by 250 dollars

It's always been set to Folder View.

I'm guessing it has something to do with an older config file somewhere, that's where most of my
        problems have been lurking.
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

You can easily check if the culprit could be a cache or settings file within your $HOME with a new user account…

I know that this can be a lot of work, but after a major DE upgrade like from Plasma 5 to Plasma 6 I usually backup all my .files and .folders, log out, delete them from a tty, log in and start configuring the DE anew (and copy back some non-DE .files and .folders like e.g. .mozilla , .thunderbird , .bash_aliases or .vimrc).
          This way my main user ID stays # 1000 and I have never had problems with a new DE that have nothing to do with the new DE itself but with remains from an old DE version…
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 03, 2024, 02:49 PM.
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Working...
          X