• Show
Clear All

Yaa! 6.0.3 arrived

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240327_153048.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	677723

Still experiencing the double log in screen. To be fair I'm not sure if that's a Plasma thing or a Wayland thing.

Please Read Me

Updated my table accordingly.
    I already had it in openSUSE Argon twelve hours ago (additionally with Qt 6.6.3) and can confirm that the new Plasma login sound also works in KDE neon now.

PS:
    SDDM still does not honour cursor theme settings in /etc/sddm.conf.d/kde_settings.conf
    And all the visual and functional bugs of the floating Plasma Panel are also still there in my X11 sessions (didn't test Wayland).
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 27, 2024, 02:23 PM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      the new Plasma login sound also works in KDE neon now.
      Your didn't work?

Mine always has

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Still experiencing the double log in screen. To be fair I'm not sure if that's a Plasma thing or a Wayland thing.
      How and where were you disabling monitor(s) previously?

Or do you mean you have multiples on one screen?

My thin client was sort of doing that, but it was an artifact from using DP-HDMI adapters. They caused my screens to be detected as 4K (on any OS or distro), though they are only 1080p.
      One SDDM screen was being stretched over and covering half the other monitor as well as the one it was on.
      Now that it is my main PC, I just swapped to straight DP cables.

It won't be a Wayland issue, unless you manually set SDDM to run using a Wayland session. The default is still an Xorg one.
      (The login session and the user's desktop session are independent, that hasn't changed)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        Your didn't work?

Mine always has
        No - it didn't. Not in Plasma 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 (didn't try with 6.0.0) - KDE neon, Arch and openSUSE
        There were fixes for this (e.g. Bug #482716 and Commit) in the Plasma 6.0.3 update.

Perhaps it also depended on the individual audio chipset or other hardware components?

I like those optional sounds. If not for myself, I noticed that computer beginners feel "safer" and more in control when things make sounds in their operating system.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 27, 2024, 03:06 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          the new Plasma login sound also works in KDE neon now.

Your didn't work?

Mine always has
          My KDE neon User Edition, running in an Oracle VirtualBox VM, the Login sound doesn't play on an initial boot. It does however, play if I perform a Logout and then Log back in. The Logout sound always plays.

I just updated and now have KDE Plasma Version 6.0.3. Booting into the VM, the Login sound still doesn't play.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Perhaps it also depended on the individual audio chipset or other hardware components?
            Could be, and I am always blessed by the Linuxy spirits - it worked on my two quite different machines, though one was running Neon Testing, so 6.1 pre-releases.
            I'll bet it happens on my old 2013 laptop. I don't recall it either way - I am a loooong time silent login person, until Plasma 6.

It does seem like the old bug (KDE 4 even?) where the sound system didn't get initialized early enough to play the sound for many. Including me, when testing.

the fix is more of a hack, it seems
            https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...4b8980b68c50b3

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              […]
              I just updated and now have KDE Plasma Version 6.0.3. Booting into the VM, the Login sound still doesn't play.
              Strange… It now works in all my Plasma 6.0.3 installations, no matter if on real hardware or in VMs…

Comment

Hurrah! My log-in sound is back!

That's enough excitement for one day.....
                Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I've found a lot of my issues fixed. Shutter I can now start and run. I still find Wayland on Nvidia kind of laggy so for now using mostly X11. I'll give Wayland a while longer.

Comment

For whatever it worth Wayland is (finally) running pretty good here. AMD tho, not nVidia. I still have a weird double-login-splash screen that kills 5-6 second of my day, but that the only major issue I'm seeing.

One other odd-ball thing is QEMU no longer will "Resize to VM" and I haven't found any reference to it on the www so maybe it's just me.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      I haven't found any reference to it on the www so maybe it's just me.
                      Nope. it isn't just you. I thought it was just me, Wayland on top of using efi for guest booting (breaks VM snapshotting), and virtio graphics instead of qxl.
                      I haven't looked at bugs or reports on this in a while, though.

Oddly my Haiku VM resizes just fine.....

......and my Fedora 39 VM.

All my others are *buntu or based on it. Hmmm.....

....but Kubuntu 20.04 does resize............
                      Last edited by claydoh; Mar 29, 2024, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I switched to X11 for a minute and then it worked. So it's some odd combo of Wayland with some Distros..

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                        X