Memory leak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory leak?

I'm wondering if there's a memory leak in Plasma 6?

I'm currently using 8.4Gb of RAM, more than double of what I was using in Plasma 5 with just Thunderbird
    and Firefox running! I have opened and closed some apps during the day but even then, that's a lot of
    RAM still in use!
    Constant change is here to stay!

I haven't noticed that (yet?).

You could keep Konsole with htop open during your day and observe if something causes this.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 23, 2024, 05:40 AM. Reason: typo
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I haven't here. I *am* using 8gb out of 32, but 5 of that is just chrome, firefox (both with a LOT of tabs and profiles open), and steam (which is idle, no game, and using 1.3 Gb??)

If it were a leak, your ram levels would rise, and keep rising, I think.

But look at plasmashell and kwin-* processes, as well as any widgets - I have heard that some report that these might be a place to look.
      Last edited by claydoh; Mar 23, 2024, 01:25 PM.

Comment

8gb seems like a lot. I have 2 browsers open with dolphin, yakuake and partition manager and I'm using 4.2ish (5.2 if you include.

Have you open Info Center and looked at System Monitor to see what using the space?

I have not seen any memory creep here, but I have had widgets in the past do this.

Please Read Me

Comment

I just turned on my PC and started Thunderbird and Firefox with 10 tabs and my memory use is 4.5Gb.

I'm sure it was around 3.6 to 3.8Gb with Plasma 5 first thing in the morning!
          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Browser tabs can vary a lot in their memory usage; scripts can load up gigabytes.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
            X