Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, 'oshunluvr.' I honestly didn't know that. As I remarked earlier in this topic I had not even heard/read about kdesudo. I have been around a long time, having started out with HP-UX system admin 28 years ago. But only got back into the Linux world about three years ago. So much has changed. I will educate myself on this issue. Is there a good resource that you can point to?

Thanks for cluing me in,

-=Ken=-

I just checked 'find ~/ user root' and it is clear.
    Is there anything else that might be damaged?

BTW, back in my HP-UX days it was only su.

Hmmmm... kdesudo is not installed - but gksudo is.
    Last edited by kenj70; Apr 28, 2018, 10:49 AM.
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
      OK, success! I had three Activities and I just deleted 'Default' because that was active when I was testing the widget. Things seem to work OK for now but I will keep checking because this problem seems to have damaged things.

Thanks GreyGeek, VINNY and Bings for being here for me. Whew! What a relief. How do I mark this topic solved?

-=Ken=-
      I see that you've been properly chastised for using sudo to run GUI applications from your home account.

FYI - I added the clock widget to my desktop, moved it around, resized it and hit all of its controls. It behaved perfectly, so I deleted it. So, neither the widget nor the Activities were the root of your problem.

Since you are running EXT4, and just for grins and giggles, I'd boot to the grub menu, choose the second option, and from the recovery menu choose the fsck option to check your filesystem and repair it. If nothing is wrong no harm no foul. If nodes are busted then they will get fixed.

EDIT: Install kdesudo, you might need it.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 28, 2018, 11:00 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Greygeek, how big did you try to resize the clock? I was seeing what it would look like taking up the whole desktop, it goes to black at about 50% size of the screen (1080 resolution).

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
          Greygeek, how big did you try to resize the clock? I was seeing what it would look like taking up the whole desktop, it goes to black at about 50% size of the screen (1080 resolution).
          Yes, that was my experience. -=Ken=-
          -=Ken=-

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
            I did the Analog clock, which gave me no problems. Then I realized that you may be referring to the digital clock, which I always associate with the panel. So, I installed it a second time on the desktop. I moved it to the lower left corner and then grabbed the expansion icon and drug it to the upper right corner. At that moment my screen turned black. My mouse pointer was showing but clicking any button did nothing. Neither did Krunner appear when I called it. So, I used Ctl+Alt+F2 and on that terminal issued
            sudo systemctl restart sddm
            and re-logged in.
            The desktop was working again.

So, the digital clock widget appears to have a sizing problem.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              I did the Analog clock, which gave me no problems. Then I realized that you may be referring to the digital clock, which I always associate with the panel. So, I installed it a second time on the desktop. I moved it to the lower left corner and then grabbed the expansion icon and drug it to the upper right corner. At that moment my screen turned black. My mouse pointer was showing but clicking any button did nothing. Neither did Krunner appear when I called it. So, I used Ctl+Alt+F2 and on that terminal issued
              sudo systemctl restart sddm
              and re-logged in.
              The desktop was working again.

So, the digital clock widget appears to have a sizing problem.
              Thanks for pursuing this. Should I look into the bug tracker?
              -=Ken=-

Comment

Thanks for pursuing this. Should I look into the bug tracker?
                https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=309

Comment

I think any bug report should be titled "Plasma Desktop can't handle a big clock"

Comment

Ha ha, I can laugh now!

This has been quite a lesson.

-=Ken=-
                    -=Ken=-

Comment

Ha ha, I can laugh now!

This has been quite a lesson.

-=Ken=-
                      None of this stuff was in your mother's milk, or the formula she fed you. We all had to learn that way!

Comment

Working...
                      X