This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Lost my desktop

I'm having to use my backup rig right now. I was playing around with the Digital Clock Widget, making it bigger, when the KDE Neon Desktop went away. Not knowing any other way to recover I restarted the PC and all came back normal including my larger size widget. So, I resized it some more - and the same thing happened. I restarted the PC and resized more slowly this time - but it happened again. I guess it's three strikes and you're out because now the Desktop does not come back after a restart.

I had previously set a shortcut Ctrl-T to run Konsole and, strangely, I can bring up Konsole. When I run 'whoami' it gives my login name even though the new boot session never prompted for a login!

Can you guys help me out?

-=Ken=-
    -=Ken=-
    "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
    DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Try
    sudo systemctl restart sddm
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

bring up your konsole and do
      Code:
      plasmashell &
      ,,,dose your desktop come back ?

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK, gave me a Logon screen. Typed password and got error message popup saying, "The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE: No write access to 'home/myusername/.ICEauthority'. KDE is unable to start.
        -=Ken=-

Comment

Too late vinny. I already tried GreyGeeks method and now I'm in a loop. Dismissing the error message gives me the graphical logon screen but pops up and error message saying, "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation. I will try a restart to see if I can get to the Konsole gain...

Nope. Further in the hole. I selected Restart from the logon screen and the system restarts but now I am in that loop with no access to a terminal.

I wonder if I could log in as a different user - such as root?

I just noticed at the bottom of my logon screen is an option for - Desktop Session: Plasma or Plasma (Wayland) What about that?
          Last edited by kenj70; Apr 27, 2018, 04:25 PM.
          -=Ken=-

Comment

AAaaa your .Xauthority has been taken by root .

at the login screen press "ctrl+alt+F6" you will get a TTY login , login , then
            Code:
            sudo rm -rf .Xauthority
            log out and press "ctrl+alt+F7"you should be back at the login screen "SDDM" , login

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Same loop vinny. I was able to follow your steps exactly but not working yet.

BTW, what is SDDM?
              Last edited by kenj70; Apr 27, 2018, 04:35 PM.
              -=Ken=-

Comment

dose this show a lot of stuff
                Code:
                find  ~/ -user root
                and if you can right it down (if it's a lot you may half to pass it thrue "less" ...like
                Code:
                find  ~/ -user root | less
                VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

I'v gota go to the store ,,,,will check back in 15 min.

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

It returned six lines with one permission denied.

/home/myusername/ .ICEauthority
                    /home/myusername/.xsession-errors
                    /home/myusername/.dbus/session-bus/long string of numbers
                    /home/myusername/.config/gedit
                    /home/myusername/.config/gedit/accels
                    /home/myusername/.cache/dconf
                    find: '/home/myusername/.cache/dconf': Permission denied
                    Last edited by kenj70; Apr 27, 2018, 04:49 PM.
                    -=Ken=-

Comment

Open a terminal again and as root
                      chown myusername:myusername /home/myusername/eachfile
                      on each of those files. They are owned by root.

You could use the recursion form. Check "man chown" to see how.
                      chown -R /home/myusername/
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 27, 2018, 05:33 PM.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

every thing in /home/you should be owned by you and in your group ,,you will need to use "chown" to change it back to you,you , use your good box to google (for Ubuntu) it and then do it from the TTY , I'm cooking , but will check back in a bit .

you may be good for now with trying the thing I told you to do in post #6 but with .ICEauthority instead

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          bring up your konsole and do
                          Code:
                          plasmashell &
                          ,,,dose your desktop come back ?

VINNY
                          While waiting I tried 'plasmashell &' in the tty session and it came back:

qt.qpa.screen: QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display Could not connect to any X display.

HEY, sorry guys. I kept refreshing my page waiting for a reply - and I just now noticed the forum had already added another page! So I have been waiting ~ half an hour for a reply! Doh!
                          Last edited by kenj70; Apr 27, 2018, 05:55 PM.
                          -=Ken=-

Comment

My rig boots to login screen. Login seems to go well signing on as Plasma 5.12.4 with the little "busy" gadget spinning but - eventually it gives up and leaves me with a black screen. I use Ctrl-T to bring up Konsole. I use 'find ~/ -user root and it returns no files. Still stumped.
                            -=Ken=-

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
                              My rig boots to login screen. Login seems to go well signing on as Plasma 5.12.4 with the little "busy" gadget spinning but - eventually it gives up and leaves me with a black screen. I use Ctrl-T to bring up Konsole. I use 'find ~/ -user root and it returns no files. Still stumped.
                              now that your back in , but with no desktop , use the
                              Code:
                              plasmashell &
                              in the konsole you can bring up .

I must ask , have you been running GUI apps launched with "sudo" instead of "kdesudo" ?

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X