No announcement yet.

Is there a stable KDE Neon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For now I am booting from the Ubuntu Budgie grub menu as that detected the Neon installation and that is usable.

Could this have something to do with it (when using apt to update)?
    W: file:/var/lib/preinstalled-pool/dists/jammy/Release.gpg: Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring (/etc/apt/trusted.gpg), see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 12, 2024, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemuncher View Post
      […]
      No.
      The answer to your question is literally in the output: "see the DEPRECATION section in apt-key(8) for details."
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

For now I am booting from the Ubuntu Budgie grub menu as that detected the Neon installation and that is usable.

In this case, the actual "issue" is that the installer left behind a config file that points to the installer media as a (temporary) source for apt which has a small number of packages (just like any *buntu installer has). It is not needed once the installation is finished.
        So, remove the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/preinstalled-pool.list and the message will go away.
        But La Gatita Negra is correct, "deprecated" here means: "it is not the standard thing any longer, but still supported, so please fix it in the future"
        Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 11, 2024, 09:03 AM.

Comment

The latest usable kernel installed is 6.5.0-25-generic. Any reason why rEFInd doesn't see it? The Ubuntu grub menu does see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
            OT:

Hi to you, too.

At present it is mostly just because of the Plasma 6 release that I am "more active"…
            This will certainly become less - my other half will see to it, I'm sure.

By the way: I wonder why Kubuntu Focus is not represented a bit more in this forum (by the one or another posting) - some of the tools are quite good, and the concept is too IMHO!
            Thanks for the pleasant response and the encouragement. Hopefully you will see more of me and others soon as we are pretty involved with 24.04 development. We should have some neat new tools then too!

Comment

the problem is not with KDE or Neon specifically it's because the budgie (Ubuntu 24.04) install modified the grub settings and you are no longer using Neon's grub but Ubuntu's
              So to fix that as oshunluvr has said you need to reinstall Neon's Grub. and do an sudo update-grub command in the terminal. If you don't want to bother with that go to ubuntu and try the same command and Ubuntu's grub will control boot. Your Choice.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Code:
                root@kdeneon:~# grub-install /dev/sdc2
                Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
                Installation finished. No error reported.​

root@kdeneon:~# update-grub
                Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
                Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/99_breeze-grub.cfg'
                Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub.d/init-select.cfg'
                Generating grub configuration file ...
                Found theme: /boot/grub/themes/breeze/theme.txt
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-25-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-25-generic
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-21-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-21-generic
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-100-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-100-generic
                Memtest86+ needs a 16-bit boot, that is not available on EFI, exiting
                Warning: os-prober will not be executed to detect other bootable partitions.
                Systems on them will not be added to the GRUB boot configuration.
                Check GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER documentation entry.
                Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...
                done
                ​
                Code:
                Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
                tmpfs 1621540 1684 1619856 1% /run
                /dev/sdc1 34663072 10657956 22212092 33% /
                tmpfs 8107696 0 8107696 0% /dev/shm
                tmpfs 5120 4 5116 1% /run/lock
                efivarfs 192 85 103 46% /sys/firmware/efi/efivars
                tmpfs 8107696 4 8107692 1% /tmp
                /dev/sdc5 52838760 38117720 11991164 77% /srv/Data
                /dev/sdc2 201615 11380 190235 6% /boot/efi
                tmpfs 1621536 60 1621476 1% /run/user/1000

​
                I then reboot the PC and under cmos boot manager (F11 on my PC) select neon, which immediately reboots and enters CMOS settings and will not give me the Neon grub menu.
                I hope I have not missed anything.
                Last edited by cookiemuncher; Mar 12, 2024, 11:12 AM.

Comment

root@kdeneon:~# grub-install /dev/sdc2
                  Yes, you missed something. You installed grub to a partition - sdc2. You cannot boot to a partition.

You need to do grub-install to the drive you are trying to boot from.

Please Read Me

Comment

I replaced the dual boot SSD (Neon and Ubuntu) with a new SSD with only KDE Neon. Let's see how that goes.

EDIT (18 Mar):
                    KDE Neon dual booting with windows 11 giving me no issues at all.
                    Last edited by cookiemuncher; Mar 18, 2024, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X