This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] autoremove linux 4.13.0-36

After receiving the latest Linux kernel (4.15.0-15) via update on my Kubuntu/Neon system, I tried to autoremove the last 4.13 kernel as I no longer had any need for it. Using the Konsole, all I managed to autoremove was one package, but Grub showed no difference. I deleted the old kernels using Muon, but should I have had to? What happened to autoremove? Am I the auto?

What steps did you use to do this, specifically? Which specific packages?

sudo apt autoremove will remove old kernels among other things, but by default leaves your two most current kernels, so you always have a backup.

Comment

I think when you go to a new kernel branch, autoremove no longer removes kernels from the older branch(es). At one point, my old Kubuntu 12.04 install had 4.4.0, 4.8.0, and 4.10.0 on it.

But, I have a one-liner that will clear a kernel branch for you. Open a terminal and enter this:

Code:
      dpkg -l |grep -E 'ii.*4.13.0' | awk '{print $2}'
      This will produce a list of the files you may want to remove.
      Then put it together with the actual purge command:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get purge `dpkg -l  |[FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]grep -E 'ii.*4.13.0'[/COLOR][/FONT] | awk '{print $2}'`
      Done.

Please Read Me

Comment

Just for fun, I also install kernels this way. For some unknown reason KDEneon doesn't install all the needed kernel packages for me. So I use this to upgrade my kernel:

Code:
        [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]sudo apt install `[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF5454][B]apt-cache[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000] search 4.13.0-39 |grep -v -e lowlatency -e signed | awk '{print $1}'`[/COLOR]

[/FONT]
        This installs everything related to kernel 4.13.0-39 except the lowlatency and signed kernels, which I don't need.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the answers. Actually, it was pretty easy to do with Muon.

Comment

Working...
          X