Plasma 6 Wayland - can't resize desktop in VM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 6 Wayland - can't resize desktop in VM

All the hype about Plasma 6 made me curious. I spun up a KVM/ QEMU VM of Neon User, and Neon Unstable. Both had the same issue.

They install okay and work fine in Wayland except I can't resize the desktop in Settings. When I select 1920x1080 then apply, the screen goes black with a cursor/mouse pointer showing but I can't go beyond that. Eventually, it times out and I'm back to settings.

Any ideas?

Saw the exact same thing here, but not consistently. Once I was able to resize to 1600something, then jump to 1920x1080. Mostly it just didn't work. Try rebooting the VM and pick a smaller res first.

Please Read Me

Comment

How much Video memory are you allocating for the VM? Desktop size is constrained by the amount of Video memory, so if you haven't allocated enough, you won't be able to size the Desktop beyond a certain value.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm not sure how to give the VM video memory. I gave the whole VM 8GB of memory, but there doesn't appear to be a separate setting for Video memory.

I tried changing the display spice and Video settings but everything gave me UEFI failures that put me at the shell. Even when I put it back to the what it was, I got booted to the shell.

Maybe this is not really baked yet. I'm not ready to put this on real hardware yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jfabernathy View Post
          I gave the whole VM 8GB of memory
          Not anywhere near enough memory. I use Oracle VirtualBox. I have 32 GB of RAM on my iMac. When I create a VM, I give the System 15000 MB for Base Memory, specify 4 processors, and give the Display 128 MB of Video Memory. I can size the OS's (KDE neon User Edition) Desktop to 2560x1366 resolution, which fills my iMac's 27" screen.

And I don't use Plasma (Wayland), as with the virtualized Graphics Processor: llvmpipe; the Desktop just isn't usable. I stick with Plasma (X11).
          Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 05, 2024, 12:38 PM.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

VIrtualBox has it's own set of issues. I have a KVM VM setup with OpenGL 3D GFX so all the desktop acceleration works running Archlinux via Endeavour OS. I just added the [extra-testing] to the pacman.conf and got it upgraded to Plasma 6. It's working fine. I can at least play with Plasma 6 ahead of it making it into my normal distro.

Comment

Working...
            X