Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade issues? Not liking all these conflicts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    . Now on to figure out how to get SDDM to only use one screen.
    That shouldn't be hard, just using xrandr commands. I think you just need to make sure that sddm itself is running an xorg session - this is completely independent from what session the desktop may be running.

I haven't looked at what the equivalent commands to do so if SDDM is running via kwin-wayland. Probably a kscreen-doctor command. I just haven't dug in to find this yet.

But to make sure SDDM is running on xorg I believe you can add DisplayServer=x11 to the /etc/sddm.conf file or to a dedicated file in /etc/sddm.conf.d
    Then, the xrandr commands should work.

I have not tested this, I simply got used to having my login on both screens again some months back when I was testing SDDM using a Wayland session, and never switched back. If I had more monitors, I'd probably would have switched my SDDM config back, or kept plugging away until I found the correct command string to use, and where to put it.

Last edited by claydoh; Mar 06, 2024, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

That shouldn't be hard, just using xrandr commands. I think you just need to make sure that sddm itself is running an xorg session - this is completely independent from what session the desktop may be running.

I haven't looked at what the equivalent commands to do so if SDDM is running via kwin-wayland. Probably a kscreen-doctor command. I just haven't dug in to find this yet.

But to make sure SDDM is running on xorg I believe you can add DisplayServer=x11 to the /etc/sddm.conf file or to a dedicated file in /etc/sddm.conf.d
      Then, the xrandr commands should work.

I have not tested this, I simply got used to having my login on both screens again some months back when I was testing SDDM using a Wayland session, and never switched back. If I had more monitors, I'd probably would have switched my SDDM config back, or kept plugging away until I found the correct command string to use, and where to put it.
      Yeah, I did it easily when using Xorg but Wayland isn't behaving the same way.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah, I did it easily when using Xorg but Wayland isn't behaving the same way.
        So, try setting it it use xorg, like I showed.

Or:
        Supposedly you can set this if you are running Wayland on the desktop by disabling all the unwanted monitors, then using the "Apply Plasma Settings" button in the SDDM config in System Settings, which will apply those settings to SDDM. Then, re-enable the monitors.

I can't yet see where this is stored, and haven't actually tested it yet (I am suppose to be working)

Comment

I can't yet see where this is stored, and haven't actually tested it yet (I am suppose to be working)
          Not working here. I don't feel like digging out a backup with my previous sddm configs

Comment

Seems the issue was wine32 was installed.

I ended up spend like 4 hours installing the 400+ packages individually, addressing each conflict when encountered until I got down to the last 7 which I could not fix. I dug into the conflicts until I saw a mention about wine32. I removed wine32 and its depends and all the remaining packages installed right away.

Code:
            Operating System: KDE neon 6.0
            KDE Plasma Version: 6.0.0
            KDE Frameworks Version: 6.0.0
            Qt Version: 6.6.2
            Kernel Version: 6.5.0-21-generic (64-bit)
            Graphics Platform: Wayland
            Processors: 32 × AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor
            Memory: 62.7 GiB of RAM
            Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon RX 580 Series
            Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
            Product Name: MS-7D52
            System Version: 1.0​
            Which wine packages did you remove? I actually play games on this laptop so I don't want to loose compatibility (proton and lutris).
            Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 11, 2024, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• oshunluvr
              oshunluvr commented
              Editing a comment
              wine32 - that's was the package

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
            I don't want to loose compatibility (proton and lutris)
            Luckily, not everything needs 32-bit wine to run. The unlucky part is....how do you find out?

Proton won't be affected - it is all separate from system installed software. The upgrade hasn't affected my Steam setup whatsoever.
            Lutris -- this depends on a system installed wine, but to get around that, just use the flatpak. Seriously. Lutris and its Wine bits will be completely separate an unrelated to the OS packages, so no conflicts and other neon-niggles.
            If Lutris were a KDE application, I *might* have a different opinion, in regards to "bloat".

I used it to prove to someone that I could get WoW to install and run in less than 15 minutes, never having played the game, nor researched its wine compatibility and problem areas.
            Supposedly this is a bit of PITA on regular Wine, and Lutris helps a LOT.

So my heavy suggestion for Lutris and Wine users is to use the flatpak. I do not see neon wanting to or being able to deal with the deep levels of Hades that they need to go down to rebuild each and every bit of Ubuntu needed to get all the 32-bit stuff to line up.

The flatpak removes this problem altogether.
            If this is not an option and a system-installed wine is vital, then a different distro is going to be warranted

Comment

Luckily, not everything needs 32-bit wine to run. The unlucky part is....how do you find out?

Proton won't be affected - it is all separate from system installed software. The upgrade hasn't affected my Steam setup whatsoever.
              Lutris -- this depends on a system installed wine, but to get around that, just use the flatpak. Seriously. Lutris and its Wine bits will be completely separate an unrelated to the OS packages, so no conflicts and other neon-niggles.
              If Lutris were a KDE application, I *might* have a different opinion, in regards to "bloat".

I used it to prove to someone that I could get WoW to install and run in less than 15 minutes, never having played the game, nor researched its wine compatibility and problem areas.
              Supposedly this is a bit of PITA on regular Wine, and Lutris helps a LOT.

So my heavy suggestion for Lutris and Wine users is to use the flatpak. I do not see neon wanting to or being able to deal with the deep levels of Hades that they need to go down to rebuild each and every bit of Ubuntu needed to get all the 32-bit stuff to line up.

The flatpak removes this problem altogether.
              If this is not an option and a system-installed wine is vital, then a different distro is going to be warranted

Purged wine32 and finally got the install going. Some stuff is still flaky.

What's recommended, x11 or wayland?

Comment

The one that works for you.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Whichever works for you
                  I use Wayland, but have been doing so for a couple of years. YMMV.
                  Some Nvidia users with certain driver versions seem to have issues still, but more seem to have found setups that work well, but I imagine x11 is still the better choice for most.

Comment

I had all kinds of issues with Wayland initially - dual monitors, etc. - but now it's rather excellent

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X