No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5 to 6 headaches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday I had 1,012 packages to update, today there were 1.022. Maybe if I wait another day there will be more!

I'm usually gung-ho for updates and do them straight away, but this is a biggie so I've been impatiently biding
    my time!

Perhaps it's time to drop out of the desktop to a shell and see what happens!
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

OK. I'm back. Both Wayland and X11 sessions work.

I had a rather annoying login screen with an on-screen keyboard that I failed to delete that could not be changed but that's fixed!

My Panel was fine on first boot but disappeared on second boot but I created a new one.

The application icons on the Icons Only Task Mangler are rather huge. I have the height set to 38 pixels!

I'm definitely not keen on the default wallpaper, to put it mildly!

Let's see if X-Plane loads!

Comment

Well, it was Wayland causing most of that work system's issue. X11 helped, but as I read somewhere in this section, even X11 seemed sluggish. So, I will wait before I update my personal system. P6 seems nice from what I see so it is encouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Do we remember the gnashing of teeth during the KDE3 to KDE4 transition? Are we going to suffer a similar fate with the upgrade to Plasma 6?

I have not performed todays apt full-upgrade on my newly rebuilt VM and fresh installation of KDE neon User Edition, followed by installation of just a few applications; dkms, yakuake, kmymoney. The latter; kmymoney; installed without any complaints, but it won't run! Launching it from the Desktop (Krunner) does absolutely nothing. So, I launched it from Konsole and this is what gets reported:

Should be fixed shortly
          https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=481974

Comment

I wish I could find a way to make the Teskbar icons smaller. They were in 5.27.

It doesn't matter what icon set I use, the icons are humongous!
            Attached Files

Comment

Just try reducing the height (or width if you use a vertical panel) of the Plasma Panel until you hit the next threshold for the icon size (for default Breeze there is a threshold from 40 down to 38 px for example).

Works for me both with floating and defloated Plasma Panels (all X11, didn't try with Wayland).
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 05, 2024, 05:45 PM.
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

My Panel is always 38 points high. I haven't tried Wayland, I use X11 for X-Plane.

They are even larger if I use a non floating Panel!

There are too many graphical glitches trying to run it in Wayland.

Comment

Hm, I just tried it again (X11):

my Breeze icons shrink at the threshold from
                  30 to 28 px
                  40 to 38 px
                  56 to 54 px
                  72 to 70 px

It doesn't matter if it is a floating or de-floated Plasma Panel - the behaviour and the icon sizes are exactly the same.

Do you observe this behaviour in another (new) user account, too?

You could try deleting the caches after having logged out the affected user:
                  cd /home/[name of the affected user]
                  rm -r .cache/*

I prefer doing this from another user account (you will have to use elevated privileges) or from a tty.​

Afterwards log in to a graphical session with the affected user account again or restart.
                  Test the icon size behaviour in the panel - good luck!

You could also try different icon sets and see if it makes any difference - but I would delete the caches first…
                  Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 05, 2024, 07:44 PM. Reason: typos

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                  install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks, but unfortunately no change. The new account was fine though.

Comment

This is a minor niggle and will have to wait! I read that 6.0.1 has already been released with lots of bug fixes!

Right now I'm creating a recovery image for the boss's Chromebook and will order a 500Gb NVMe SSD to replace
                      the paltry 128Gb drive that's in there. Right now she has a 500Gb SATA SSD hanging off a USB port that contains
                      her data. It'll be nice to tidy things up a bit!​

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                        […] The new account was fine though.
                        Then if it wasn't a cache file, it has to be a settings file in ~/.config/ or ~/.local/share/ - and an update to Plasma 6.0.1 will probably change nothing as only your main user is affected…
                        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 05, 2024, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I've been through them but can't find anything about Panel/Task Manager settings. Later...

Comment

In a moment of madness I created a second Panel on the left at a shorter but thicker size than the main Panel and set it to auto-hide.
                            It's now my application Dock!
                            Attached Files

Comment

I like this layout very much (I use it myself in combination with the Global Menu in the top panel).
                              And I see you have replaced the bleak Breeze 6 curser with the shape of the cool Breeze 5 one.

Now in Plasma 6 with the "dodge windows" option and proper shadows around a floating panel the Plasma Panel has become a simple and usable dock alternative (RIP Latte Dock !). Some things are buggy, though, like the custom positioning of a vertical panel…
                              I hope they fix the uneven gaps at the floating Plasma Panel (ugly…) and add some eye candy options in the future too.
                              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Mar 06, 2024, 05:26 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

And there's also no need for the Better Inline Clock. They've added options to put the date next to the time and not under it, like in Windows!

Comment

Working...
                                X