KDE Plasma 5 to 6 headaches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Plasma 5 to 6 headaches?

Do we remember the gnashing of teeth during the KDE3 to KDE4 transition? Are we going to suffer a similar fate with the upgrade to Plasma 6?

I have not performed todays apt full-upgrade on my newly rebuilt VM and fresh installation of KDE neon User Edition, followed by installation of just a few applications; dkms, yakuake, kmymoney. The latter; kmymoney; installed without any complaints, but it won't run! Launching it from the Desktop (Krunner) does absolutely nothing. So, I launched it from Konsole and this is what gets reported:
    kmymoney: error while loading shared libraries: libKPim5IdentityManagement.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

So installing KDE neon User Edition (neon-user-20240122-2226.iso) after this mornings fiasco (other Thread here in KDE neon), the first package I installed was dkms. No issues with that. The second package I installed was kmymoney. THAT turns out to have brought in quite a lot of kf6-* packages. So for the moment, I have a mixture of installed kf5-* and kf6-* files.

I'll be happy as a clam to run sudo apt full-upgrade again, IF, it doesn't do what it did this morning!

Added:

To be fair, kf6-* files already exist installed after installation of the .iso. I say/assume this because I purged kmymoney then ran sudo apt autoremove and updated the database (sudo apt updatedb). Then I searched for kf5- in Muon Package Manager, Status = Installed. Yeah, plenty of stuff.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 28, 2024, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Yes. The whole desktop was reset to defaults for each of those, and numerous applications/packaging lagged behind -- it is the very reason I created a PPA for KMM back in the day.

No, or not as much, simply from not having the desktop reset

Of course, this may be purely from packaging snafus, but some things simply may not have yet bothered to add (or been unable/lack time and effort to) support for Plasma 6 libraries. KMM is notoriously slow but in this case it may be a bungled packaging. The package depends on libkpim6identitymanagement6 but the error seems to indicate the application wants thew kf5 version? lol wrong terminal window.
      My eyes are sooo confused.
      Either we can't have both Plasma 5 and Plasma 6 stuff installed/running together(as we did in the other transitions), or there is some missing $PATH foo preventing this from working in neon. I suspect the latter, and am looking for clarification.

In neon's Testing, KMM and Plasma are from a beta-ish git track, as opposed to the release versions in User, and KMM doesn't depend on the PIM identity package package at all there, and does open and run just fine on my other PC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240228_174717.png
Views:	450
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	676993

So it may be a bit of both that KMM needs a new release and/or neon has something to fix.

Hence the need for bug reports against neon packaging.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=481974 like, subscribe, and share
      Last edited by claydoh; Feb 28, 2024, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Should I be afraid of running the updates?

I'm not awake yet and if anything gets borked I'll be without a PC until I do wake up....!
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Update the package cache: sudo apt update then run a simulation of the full upgrade: sudo apt --simulate full-upgrade and see what is reported. I'm "gun shy" at the moment, after having my neon installation borked after doing the full-upgrade this morning.

Comment

One thing for sure DON'T use discover or pkcon, or apt-get, even.
            Just based on what I have seen scrolling in chat - much of anyone's really broken upgrades (No desktop) seemed to be remedied by using apt full-upgrade, even over apt-get dist-upgrade. There subtle differences between apt and apt-get, and many scripts use apt-get.

Comment

Hello Folks, Just this evening when I started my KDE Neon User edition (fully upgraded), I noticed "Discover" informing there are 874 update available. I did the update which completed OK. After rebooting I noted that it is a new splash screen, then log-on screen. Now I have the problem of after logging on there is no desk top, but a blank screen with the curser right in the middle of it. Nothing else happens. I have no access to the system at all and need help here.
              Thank you!
              P.S. I have been using KMymoney before this update.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                Should I be afraid of running the updates?

I'm not awake yet and if anything gets borked I'll be without a PC until I do wake up....!
                Most sane people will wait a day or two, at least, just to avoid the packaging bugs that will inevitably creep up

Me, I woke up and updated before I even took a shower, or had caffeine.
                And of course, I only had mostly minor-ish glitches - the krunner and logout/restart borkages, and a quick panel tweak I was prepared for - my expandable vertical panel was full-width after the upgrade, which had a 2-click fix.

Comment

Originally posted by marco07 View Post
                  but a blank screen with the curser right in the middle of it. Nothing else happens. I have no access to the system at all and need help here.
                  ctrl-alt-f(2,3, 4, etc) to get a tty, log in, and run sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Check out this megathread on KDE's forum
                  https://discuss.kde.org/t/plasma-6-u...ont-load/10942

Comment

I just snagged the latest live image and will look at that before deciding whether to update today or not.

I may wait a day or three though!
                    Last edited by Beerislife; Feb 28, 2024, 10:27 PM.
                    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Code:
                      ctrl-alt-f(2,3, 4, etc) to get a tty, log in, and [FONT=Monospace]run sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade[/FONT]

[URL="https://discuss.kde.org/t/plasma-6-update-desktop-wont-load/10942"]https://discuss.kde.org/t/plasma-6-u...ont-load/10942[/URL]​
                      I followed your commands. There were both quite a bunch of packages removed and installed as well. However, this did not resolved the issue Then I followed all the solution suggestions listed under your given link, again to no avail. I still get a blank screen with the curser in the middle (no desktop) after logging in.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        […]
                        There is also a new post of a user who possibly had this issue because of WINE
                        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Claydoh

Almost the last suggestion on this post worked for me -

sudo pkcon install libdecor-0-0 libsdl2-2.0-0 plasma-desktop plasma-desktop-data --allow-reinstall

Caution - after updates I was left with just the konsole running, all else was broken and I have not logged out or shutdown since yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
                            Wondering to do it through Discover or Konsole!
                            I'd greatly suggest the terminal, based on what I have seen from others on chat, KDE forums, and redditt
                            If nothing else, you can see what is happening, and stop if you aren't sure, and have information to help you decide on what is needed.

Comment

Glad I looked here first before I clicked Update All in Discover. I did a system this morning at work and forgot I updated it so rebooting it now remotely to see what happens before I do my personal system here at home.

EDIT: Yeah, that system not happy about something so will need to check when I can. I will hold on my personal system.
                              Last edited by MoonRise; Feb 29, 2024, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X