This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for help with VLC removal

Hi all. Hoping someone can help with an issue I am having. Specifically, I installed VLC from the standard Neon repositories, which is version 2.2 and rather old. There is a need for me to move to a newer version for features that version 2 does not currently have. As you can see from the paste output below, attempting to remove VLC will end in disaster. I cannot figure a way around this, and I'm kind of stuck.

Output of what will be removed if VLC is uninstalled.

The reason I would like to remove it is that I have installed a snap image of VLC which is a newer release and contains the features I want. However, I cannot run it as the older version is the only version that can be revoked from the command line. Since my understanding of snaps is centered around them being mounted and sym-linked to be evoked from the command line by just typing the applications name (e.g. just typing VLC in the command line), I was hoping that just installing the snap would solve the problem and be the version run, since it's newer. However, it appears that it has not.

Apparently the command line app shortcuts use apps installed from standard repositories, regardless of version, over a Snap-installed version. Any ideas?
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

/snap/bin/vlc works here
    Maybe have to adjust an env variable to put /snap/bin at the head of the list?

Comment

What audio-backends do you have installed? If you only have the vlc backend that could cause this. Try installing phonon-backend-gstreamer and then uninstalling vlc.

Please Read Me

Comment

AppImage for 3.0.0?
        https://github.com/anupam-git/vlc-ap...86_64.AppImage
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

sudo apt install phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer
          sudo apt purge vlc
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thanks for the replies all!

Originally posted by claydoh
            /snap/bin/vlc works here
            Maybe have to adjust an env variable to put /snap/bin at the head of the list?
            Yepp that works! Thanks.

Originally posted by acheron View Post
            sudo apt purge vlc
            Thanks! I'll try that once I get the snap version running properly (or another alternative like GG's Appimage recommendation). One question - why can't apt or packagekit figure that back-end dependency out on it's own? I'm sure I'm not the first one to hit this issue and seems a recipe for disaster for a new user...

===

Running the snapped version of VLC produces some errors - at first I thought both might be related to permissions, but maybe not, as I've given liberal permissions to the affected snap directories, at least as far as I can tell. Also, massively-ample storage space available, so space isn't an issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180419_082347.png
Views:	1
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	643833

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180419_082432.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	643834

A Google search let to the same error in KDE on Mint, albeit not in the the snapped version. The solution did not help in my case (changing the target directory to the proper one), but I still think it's a permissions issue. What do you guys think? Could someone try to reproduce? Thanks.
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

The article you linked solved the problem by changing ownership from root:root to, in your case, james:james
              That didn’t fix your problem?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                The article you linked solved the problem by changing ownership from root:root to, in your case, james:james
                That didn’t fix your problem?
                It did not, no. I also tried changing the permissions to full r/w access to no avail either.
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Is the immutable bit set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                    One question - why can't apt or packagekit figure that back-end dependency out on it's own? I'm sure I'm not the first one to hit this issue and seems a recipe for disaster for a new user...
                    I had this same or similar issue when I installed KDEneon for this first time and tried to remove VLC (so I could install a newer version) and it wanted to wipe all of Plasma 5 off the install. IMO, the phonon backend depends are wrong and I reported it as a bug. If I recall the devs didn't agree with my assessment. Seems to me this sort of thing is what we called (in my old line of work) FIRST DAY STUFF - as in - basic functionality.

I pointed out that not everyone wants VLC and in my opinion, it should not have been included in the ISO to begin with. It's not a KDE/Plasma program. A less experienced user might not have been able to figure out the issue and thus would be stuck with VLC whether or not they wanted it. Stupid.

Please Read Me

Comment

Dpkg was designed specifically to not remove a package if there are other packages dependent on it, unless the user allows it. That's probably to prevent most people from borking their system, although if they are careless and don't pay attention to all the dependencies that is exactly what they could do.

Of course, the user could delete vlc and all of its dependencies and then reinstall plasma-desktop.

Comment

sudo apt purge vlc
                        Acheron is a good man.

woodlikesAcheronsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

sudo apt purge vlc
                          Well, after installing both phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer and phonon-backend-gstreamer, I get this when attempting to purge VLC:

james@james-amd-rig:~$ sudo apt purge vlc
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 3
                          Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 3
                          Investigating (0) phonon4qt5-backend-vlc [ amd64 ] < 0.10.1-0neon+16.04+xenial+build13 > ( sound )
                          Broken phonon4qt5-backend-vlc:amd64 Depends on vlc [ amd64 ] < 2.2.2-5ubuntu0.16.04.4 > ( universe/graphics )
                          Considering vlc:amd64 10004 as a solution to phonon4qt5-backend-vlc:amd64 19
                          Removing phonon4qt5-backend-vlc:amd64 rather than change vlc:amd64
                          Investigating (0) kaffeine [ amd64 ] < 2.0.14-0neon+16.04+xenial+build10 > ( video )
                          Broken kaffeine:amd64 Depends on vlc [ amd64 ] < 2.2.2-5ubuntu0.16.04.4 > ( universe/graphics )
                          Considering vlc:amd64 10004 as a solution to kaffeine:amd64 1
                          Removing kaffeine:amd64 rather than change vlc:amd64
                          Investigating (0) phonon-backend-vlc [ amd64 ] < 0.10.1-0neon+16.04+xenial+build13 > ( sound )
                          Broken phonon-backend-vlc:amd64 Depends on vlc [ amd64 ] < 2.2.2-5ubuntu0.16.04.4 > ( universe/graphics )
                          Considering vlc:amd64 10004 as a solution to phonon-backend-vlc:amd64 1
                          Removing phonon-backend-vlc:amd64 rather than change vlc:amd64
                          Investigating (0) kaffeine-dbgsym [ amd64 ] < 2.0.14-0neon+16.04+xenial+build10 > ( debug )
                          Broken kaffeine-dbgsym:amd64 Depends on kaffeine [ amd64 ] < 2.0.14-0neon+16.04+xenial+build10 > ( video ) (= 2.0.14-0neon+16.04+xenial+build10)
                          Considering kaffeine:amd64 1 as a solution to kaffeine-dbgsym:amd64 -1
                          Removing kaffeine-dbgsym:amd64 rather than change kaffeine:amd64
                          Investigating (1) phonon [ amd64 ] < 4:4.10.0-0neon+16.04+xenial+build21 > ( sound )
                          Broken phonon:amd64 Depends on phonon-backend-gstreamer [ amd64 ] < none -> 4:4.9.0-1+16.04+xenial+build6 > ( sound )
                          Considering phonon-backend-gstreamer:amd64 1 as a solution to phonon:amd64 7
                          Try Installing phonon-backend-gstreamer [ amd64 ] < none -> 4:4.9.0-1+16.04+xenial+build6 > ( sound ) before changing phonon:amd64
                          Done
                          The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                          libbasicusageenvironment1 libcddb2 libdvbpsi10 libdvbv5-0 libebml4v5 libfreerdp-cache1.1 libfreerdp-client1.1 libfreerdp-codec1.1 libfreerdp-common1.1.0 libfreerdp-core1.1
                          libfreerdp-crypto1.1 libfreerdp-gdi1.1 libfreerdp-locale1.1 libfreerdp-primitives1.1 libfreerdp-utils1.1 libgles2-mesa libgroupsock8 liblivemedia50 liblua5.2-0 libmatroska6v5
                          libproxy-tools libresid-builder0c2a libsdl-image1.2 libsidplay2v5 libupnp6 libusageenvironment3 libva-drm1 libva-x11-1 libvlc5 libvlccore8 libvncclient1 libwinpr-crt0.1
                          libwinpr-dsparse0.1 libwinpr-environment0.1 libwinpr-file0.1 libwinpr-handle0.1 libwinpr-heap0.1 libwinpr-input0.1 libwinpr-interlocked0.1 libwinpr-library0.1 libwinpr-path0.1
                          libwinpr-pool0.1 libwinpr-registry0.1 libwinpr-rpc0.1 libwinpr-sspi0.1 libwinpr-synch0.1 libwinpr-sysinfo0.1 libwinpr-thread0.1 libwinpr-utils0.1 libxcb-xv0 vlc-data vlc-nox
                          vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-samba
                          Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
                          The following additional packages will be installed:
                          gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio phonon-backend-gstreamer
                          The following packages will be REMOVED:
                          kaffeine* kaffeine-dbgsym* phonon-backend-vlc* phonon4qt5-backend-vlc* vlc*
                          The following NEW packages will be installed:
                          gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio phonon-backend-gstreamer
                          0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                          Need to get 167 kB of archives.
                          After this operation, 21.6 MB disk space will be freed.
                          Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
                          Abort.
                          So it looks like (possibly) removing plasma-desktop, removing VLC, and re-installing plasma-desktop is perhaps the only safe way to accomplish this. Unfortunate.
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                            Well, after installing both phonon4qt5-backend-gstreamer and phonon-backend-gstreamer, I get this when attempting to purge VLC:

So it looks like (possibly) removing plasma-desktop, removing VLC, and re-installing plasma-desktop is perhaps the only safe way to accomplish this. Unfortunate.
                            Nothing there indicates you need to do that. The only extra getting removed there is kaffeine.
                            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Working...
                            X