Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Systray Battery indicator kinda wrong or poorly implemented?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Systray Battery indicator kinda wrong or poorly implemented?

Anyone else think the Battery indicator is sort of useless in it's present state? At least for desktop PCs.

I have a UPS and a wireless mouse. Both show in the System Tray Battery Indicator but not in a useful way.

The mouse shows 10% right now but also "Fully Charged" That make no sense at all - it can't be both.
    The UPS indicates 100% but battery health Zero. Also useless because it's incorrect. Via pwrstat the capacity shows 79%. It's several years old so I would expect some deterioration of capacity. Running software test on the UPS changed the battery indication to "Charging" and at 79% so at least I kinda corrected itself.
    The Tray Icon is supposed to show battery life but it only shows the UPS and the mouse would be more useful. Seems like the developer didn't really intend for it to be used with a desktop PC.

Probably more than just a Neon issue, but I'm curious what other's opinions are or if you're having a better experience.

It does at least message me when the mouse battery falls to 10%.

Please Read Me

I think it has to do with the hardware as well as the device. I used to have a Cyberpower UPS connected to my PC, but I have it on my NAS now with the PC monitoring it remotely. But I never noticed it acting like you see.

Actually, I have a small UPS on my Plasma 6/Windows 10 thin client, and it definitely reports 0% health and a full battery. The UPS is only a few weeks old. Rebranded Cyberpower. I will wager connecting one of these UPS to my PC will act the same.

My Bt/Wifi mouse seems to have no issues, outside of it always reporting 100% on BT until it is way less than 50% (as shown when using the wifi dongle)
    My MX keys keyboard I used to have reported things accurately in the panel, using wifi or BT. My current Redragon KB shows squat no matter how I connect it.
    This definitely acted the same on completely different distros/hardware last time I had any (Fedora on a laptop)
    Last edited by claydoh; Jan 14, 2024, 04:39 PM.

Comment

The only issue I ever noted is the mouse battery indicator seems to always stay around 55% and then when the battery is close to dying, then it will alert. Everything else always seemed to be what was expected.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        The only issue I ever noted is the mouse battery indicator seems to always stay around 55% and then when the battery is close to dying, then it will alert. Everything else always seemed to be what was expected.
        I notice the same thing here. Mouse battery is always 55% never changes so is useless measure. But it does monitor my laptops battery state pretty closely. So serves the purpose.
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
        X